Handles + Liners + Pinstripes: Gots Favorite(s)?

With or without looking spine-wise across my array of Fiddlebacks...

0kkipD6.jpg

... I intuitively answer the question of my favorite combination of colors and appointments:

H07iov4.jpg

vvivp9a.jpg

Oh, me heart. I love the twizzled presentation of cross-cut natural micarta, the POP of the white, and of course: BLUE.

[I can get lost looking at the above three knives, and pictures thereof, endlessly. I am especially tickled by how well the blue 'matches' across three different materials -- maple, boxwood, and (earlier) Shadetree navy burlap, respectively.]

The Natural + White combination works well for me even without the presence of... blue! (gasp!)

kAWp4tA.jpg

nMO8aAm.jpg

I also really enjoy [thicker] Natural as a standalone liner; short Natural bolsters are always a bonus:

DWKsfqi.jpg

EdXNP7F.jpg

h1ELZoo.jpg

And finally, I've discovered that I just plain like white (like just plain white? ;)) with black liners too, more than the other more colorful possibilities out there. To my eyes, white with black has a classy effect that brings out the best of each pattern's lines, the bullseye, the overall aesthetic that gets me all jiggy about Fiddlebacks:

zQF7r8b.jpg

iGKKDmo.jpg

f8ItOxZ.jpg

In my own selection, this leaves the Outliers on the far left:

jqHrb3R.jpg

From pictures alone, I feared the 'Racing Stripes' on the Mango Runt would look too fussy, but they really work in person-- a stellar little standout, this. :thumbsup:

The Lime with the Natural on the 'falcen...?

MeBpCW9.jpg

ystPS0U.jpg

Well.

The 'falcon is a most favorite knife, and I carry and use it in all its Blurple glory, but I can't help but wonder how it would look with: white pinstriping. o_O

xaGZJlW.jpg

[Mebbe it would look even more blURPLE with white?! :eek: :D]

But, that's just me!

What about you? Do you have a liner, pinstriping and/or handle combination you keen to across patterns, or even in a beloved sample of one?

~ P.

[A quick search here to make sure I wasn't duplicating an already-existing thread indicates that Orange can be ... polarizing. :D]

I like both natural and black liners with white pinstripes. I also like natural liners with yellow or blue pinstripes which I prefer more than natural liners with either green or orange pinstripes. Black liners I think can look good with pretty much any pinstripe color... white, yellow, orange, green, blue, (or even red and pink). I also like natural liners with red pinstripes but I don't think Andy does red pinstripes because I've never seen A Fiddleback with red pinstripes produced by the shop over the last few years?? I also like natural or black bolstered knives with thick natural or black liners and no pinstripes.

Edit: Added a photo of a combo that I like... Natural micarta scales over natural liners with yellow pinstripes.

2v2JSvj38xAhvqS.jpg

Last edited:
I personally much prefer natural liners to black ones. For pinstripes I like white, blue, and orange. Handles in the Osage, micartas, and some burlaps.

My favorite bolstered look is OD bolsters with a nicely grained or figured wood. Like OD with ironwood... Still waiting to add one in that combo to my collection.

My favorite bolstered look is OD bolsters with a nicely grained or figured wood. Like OD with ironwood...
OD bolsters with bloodwood is a nice look that you don't see too often.
OD bolsters and most woods just does it for me. I love that combo.

Oh, man-- I'd forgotten about the OD-bolstered beauts. I've never seen one in person, but have admired the look from afar....

With Bocote:
1518833649677-vi.jpg

Goncalo Alves (probably my favorite wood to see paired with OD Green. So far o_O):

IMG_7949-vi.jpg

Desert Ironwood:

IMG_7954-vi.jpg

~ P.

Your blue brown is awesome. I also like black with lime and Osage with natural.

Oh, man-- I'd forgotten about the OD-bolstered beauts. I've never seen one in person, but have admired the look from afar....

With Bocote:
1518833649677-vi.jpg

Goncalo Alves (probably my favorite wood to see paired with OD Green. So far o_O):

IMG_7949-vi.jpg

Desert Ironwood:

IMG_7954-vi.jpg

~ P.

Yup! OD and wood is an awesome combo. There's some OD bolstered Thuja around that's really good looking as well.

I also like OD bolstered Osage, but I'm not sure that Fiddleback does that. I don't recall seeing any at least...

You bet. My favorites in no paticular order.

1. DIW, natural liner, blue stripe.
2. Evergreen burlap, thick natural liner, natural bolster.
3. Ruby Burlap, thick black or natural liner (no stripes). No, Black or my apparently rare blue bolster.
4. Oreo burlap with thick black liners. No or Black bolster.
5. Navy burlap with thick black liners. No or black bolsters.

Until I wrote this, I had no idea “thick” was such a theme. I should have known...

I'm partial to natural on natural with white. Love all the pics in this thread.

Anyone have bolstered Osage and more DIW to share? I was playing with some wood and micarta bits and most look like crap with either DIW or Osage!! I am thinking black linen would be safe and the OD above is cool. What else works?
Bill

Thick liners with or without bolster - Natural, OD, Black
Thin liners - Natural or Black, come to think of it I don't remember seeing another color
Pinstripes - white or not at all
Commando - don't really like but occasionally awesome
Waxed twine wrap etc. - not for me
Copper or metal wrap - not for me
Wood natural color - most
Wood colored - rarely
Burlap - love but a little picky about color
Canvas - brown, OD, antique / white - Yes!
Canvas - Black - maybe
Canvas - natural - rarely
Beauty mark - yes
Triple pinout - yes
Lanyard - not near food
Bolster - yes
Wood bolster - Hell Yes!
Pinstripes on handle - Thanks you over achiever!

Last edited:
Back