Handmade tomahawk

PDQ knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi everyone.
I wanted to share with you this non-traditional tomahawk that I made two days ago.
The head was forged with a 4140 steel bolt. I forged it about two years ago, but I had never finished it.
The handle is made of oak wood, oil-cured and burned.
The axe head is fixed to the handle just by conicity, so it is a take down axe head.
I forgot to put my logo on it...

I leave you with the pictures. I hope you like it.
7zTpMzI.jpg

MeK3Qwz.jpg

WHh0SY2.jpg

gob6Anv.jpg

There is algo a video of mine on instagram throwing it.

Best regards.

How will it hold up under practical use? It looks like the head is already up to the end of the handle, and no matter where it is on the handle it looks like with real use the head would cock on the handle because so little of it holds the handle, it is a ring with a blade attached. Or is it an art object to be used as jewelry for hipsters? In that case it is perfect.

How will it hold up under practical use? It looks like the head is already up to the end of the handle, and no matter where it is on the handle it looks like with real use the head would cock on the handle because so little of it holds the handle, it is a ring with a blade attached. Or is it an art object to be used as jewelry for hipsters? In that case it is perfect.
Hi, and thanks for asking. First of all, i'm not an expert making tomahawks, and also is the first one i made with this conicity fixing system. I should leave a 1/8" or 3/16" over the head, but i think it will hold just fine.
I don't know what will happen with practical use (throwing it or chopping litle logs), but if the handle breaks or do not holds it more, then i should make another handle, as any other axe.
Best regards.

Back