Hankering for a Small Wharnie

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
My faithful EDC is a Schrade 12OT "Pal" (pictured). I've started looking for a similarly small slippie (~3") with a Wharncliffe main blade.

About the closest I'm coming up with is the Case Mini Copperhead (3 1/8"). I know about the Case Mini Trapper (3 1/2") and Case Copperhead (3 5/8"), but those are bigger.

Any other diminutive Wharncliffes out there? Just wondering if there are brands and/or models I'm missing.

0924201305a~2.jpg

0924201306~2.jpg

mooDPqT.jpg

Gec#26 might fit what you’re looking for

OzcLJOu.jpg

The GEC 18 Blackwood is the bottom knife, very small it is.

GEC are about to start making the 20 pattern named after a diminutive snake ;):eek: You might like to try for that- check their website for more details.

CASE Swayback Gent /Jack has been mention, I favour this knife, got good proportions .

eIXye50.jpg

There's a Winchester Black Box to aim for too

DP9JdGv.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Queen #46 wharncliffe penknife. They're 3 1/8 inches closed. Most of them were made with D2 steel. There's also a Dan Burke iteration that came with winter bottom bone handles and stainless Sandvik 12C27 blades.

GEC are about to start making the 20 pattern named after a diminutive snake ;):eek: You might like to try for that- check their website for more details.

GEC 06 single blade or the new GEC 19 that is about to be released?

I'm happy to take a look at the GEC 19 and 20, but y'all must have an inside line to which I'm not privy. When I look at the production schedule (linked), I don't see those models. Where can I find out about these two?

You could always get another for cheap on Ebay and make it a wharncliffe in no time.

Yepper ... here's a couple wharnie mods (these might be a bit bigger than Guyon is looking for, but are examples of how a blade can easily be refashioned with only a file)

I have a spare USA Schrade 12OT already, but I don't have the gumption to mod it. I like it too much like it is.

I'm a big fan of the Queen #46 wharncliffe penknife. They're 3 1/8 inches closed. Most of them were made with D2 steel. There's also a Dan Burke iteration that came with winter bottom bone handles and stainless Sandvik 12C27 blades.

That's a nice one similar to the Case Mini Copperhead. I'll poke about and keep my eyes open. I've been away from the knife world so long I didn't realize that Queen closed in 2018. Sad news.

yup, came here to say the pemberton but its got its honorable mention up there

Here's the 06 pemberton. Not the best measuring tape but you get the idea. haha

Love all the Pemberton suggestions, but it looks like I'm a year late on this one! That's a great looking model.

The Case swayback is 3.19" long, closed. You can get it in either one (Gent) or two (Jack) blade configurations. Great knives.

Swayback has been on my radar for a long time. I really wish the chestnut bone CV version had bolsters on both ends. That's pretty much the only reason I haven't ordered one.

I think you can still find a GEC #62 Congress in stock at some sites.

I would recommend the 62 Easy Pocket Congress which is still available at retail.

Mission accomplished there. I ordered this one yesterday even though it's a little bigger than I was after. I really like the symmetry of this knife.

GEC62.jpg

I'm happy to take a look at the GEC 19 and 20, but y'all must have an inside line to which I'm not privy. When I look at the production schedule (linked), I don't see those models. Where can I find out about these two?

I have a spare USA Schrade 12OT already, but I don't have the gumption to mod it. I like it too much like it is.

That's a nice one similar to the Case Mini Copperhead. I'll poke about and keep my eyes open. I've been away from the knife world so long I didn't realize that Queen closed in 2018. Sad news.

Love all the Pemberton suggestions, but it looks like I'm a year late on this one! That's a great looking model.

Swayback has been on my radar for a long time. I really wish the chestnut bone CV version had bolsters on both ends. That's pretty much the only reason I haven't ordered one.

Mission accomplished there. I ordered this one yesterday even though it's a little bigger than I was after. I really like the symmetry of this knife.

View attachment 1425996
I predict you'll LOVE it. I would have suggested it, but I thought you wanted to keep it no more than 3".... It is a GREAT carry knife, and is wonderfully balanced in use. I have a unicorn ivory one that is nearly always in one or other of the pockets. Great choice!

Back