HAP 40 Delica and Endura

Hey
With the news of sprint run delica and Endura I am wondering how HAP 40 compares to other steels? And is it stainless?
Thanks

Found this on a site that sells Chef's knives:

"HAP40 is a semi stainless, powdered high speed steel (HSS) that takes and holds an edge better than any other steel available on our site. HAP40 is fine-grained enough to sharpen very well and rates 64-68 on the Rockwell Hardness Test (HRC)—even harder than the traditional carbon steels used for knives. We have specified a hardness of 65-66 HRC for our blades. Unlike other HSS steels, it can be relatively easily sharpened on normal waterstones, if not quite as easily as traditional carbon steels.

We think HAP40 holds the potential to become one of the best steels on the market for the production of high quality, high durability kitchen knives."

I will be getting an Endura for sure!

I've heard it compared to CPM-M4.

I had too, but I believe that to be a case of misinformation being repeated too many times. It is actually comparable to CPM REX 45. Hitachi's M4 equivalent is called XVC11. I went to Zknives.com to look it up btw.

I've been carrying a proto since I got back from Seki and it's a very nice piece.

sal

I'll actually probably pick up an Endura just 'cause of this Sprint run. I've nut been enticed by the FRN offerings up until now... Looking forward to it!

I am definitely in on this. I wonder if the HAP40 will be extended across the FRN line like SuperBlue was?

I'm so getting HAP40 in a Delica. After chasing down a Super Blue, I'm not missing this one.

I've never heard of HAP 40, but it is indeed similar to CPM M4 in composition, with one big difference -- 8% Cobalt, which along with the high Tungsten level also found in M4, should give it some interesting properties... here's a comparison:

111aaacuntitled_zpscw8nzzk4.png

Love Enduras and always happy to try out a new steel in that platform.:thumbup:

Out of all of the upcoming models/Sprints, I'm most excited for the HAP40 Endura and Delica! Hopefully there will be a Dragonfly and Ladybug too like with the Super Blue run.

Per Sal and quoted from the Spyderco forum site (which someone else had quoted)..."The plan is to run the entire family; Endura-Stretch-Delica-Dragonfly-Ladybug-Manbug. Color has been approved. Steel has been tested and approved. Added to schedule, and now we wait for them to be produced. 1200 pcs each."

Ok, that's great! I thought I remembered reading that. Even my wife is excited for these! She has a great collection of Ladybugs and other small, hard to find Spydercos. I sure am good husband for buying her those :D

I've never heard of HAP 40, but it is indeed similar to CPM M4 in composition, with one big difference -- 8% Cobalt, which along with the high Tungsten level also found in M4, should give it some interesting properties... here's a comparison:

111aaacuntitled_zpscw8nzzk4.png

I'd never heard of it before yesterday, and I'm very interested! That amount of cobalt along with the tungsten makes this very interesting to me! And on the Delica platform! Woot!

I just hope the SUS410 cladding doesn't scratch up as much as the 420j on the Super Blue runs. I'm hoping an Endura will be coming my way :D

Here's a couple Youtube reviews of HAP40 kitchen knives. The one reviewer dubs it 'Voodoo Steel', based on it's preternatural edge holding abilities. It's also listed as semi-stainless, but it doesn't have anywhere near the chromium of D2. More 'hype' to excite steel junkies, and piss off the 'super-steel' haters.

[video=youtube;HSdNOaFf_xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSdNOaFf_xs[/video]

[video=youtube;9j9Qo75inYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j9Qo75inYo[/video]

I'm unfamiliar with the steel but I must say that I love the color they chose for this run.

I'm not really an orange guy but this particular shade of orange is quite attractive.

Back