1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

HAP40 Stretch

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by TheOutdoorNerd, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Wow, that clipped point looks AWESOME on the Stretch. Really awesome!

2. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Damn that looks cool man! Nice job!

3. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    Quoted so it is on this page.

4. marcus52AR

Apr 22, 2014
    I'm interested to hear your first impressions surfergringo.

Looks like you got a sweet lamination line, how's the other side?

5. Ocarr

Ocarr Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Well Surf, you weren't lying. (nice job on the regrind):thumbup:

6. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    Very cool looking with that mod!

7. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    The other side is about as wonky as they get. I should have known I'd get one like that after I made a point on the previous page about how I don't care about the lines! :rolleyes: hahaha. Its fine, I'm glad I got this one instead of somebody who would be bothered by it. :)

[​IMG]

The good news is, my edge bevels are around 12 degrees per side and nearly perfect. The last few frn knives I've gotten from Japan have been very skillfully sharpened.

8. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    It seems as though my last few FRN Japanese knives have been better quality as of late also.

9. Surfingringo

May 25, 2013
    Yep, and the lockups on the last few I've gotten (in the last year I would say) have all been exceptionally solid.

10. marcus52AR

Apr 22, 2014
    Definitely has some character, between the modified tip and the lam lines you won't be mistaking that for somebody else's stretch! Haha

Thx for the pics, it looks great.

11. Officer's Match

Jan 23, 2013
    Dang, 24 inclusive... that thing outta' slice.

12. Surfingringo

May 25, 2013
    My Delica came at closer to 10 dps. Laser.

13. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    The Stretch hap40 I received this week has a small amount of lock rock . Of about 10 Spyderco lock backs I own, this is only the second one to have lock rock. Can that be adjusted by me or should I send it back to Spyderco for warranty work? Could it get better if I open and close it a number of times?

14. uofaengr

uofaengr

Jan 9, 2014

I agree with all of the above. Mine have had perfect centering and extremely solid lockup. Couldn't believe how smooth the Stretch was too. Whoever is sharpening these is doing a good job too. The Stretch was more polished on the edge than I've seen on any Spyderco, and is incredible how sharp these come from the factory. Other companies could sure learn a lesson from Spyderco regarding out of the box sharpness.

15. ToxicBot11

ToxicBot11

Apr 28, 2013
    Agreed about a choil, it allows a very pinpoint precise control over the knife and especially the tip.

Sounds like you got a Collectors Club version. This article should answer most of your questions: http://www.paulberetta.com/spy101_numbered_knives.htm

16. bearfacedkiller

bearfacedkiller

Jan 23, 2014
    My HAP Stretch has good lamination lines, perfect centering and above average lockup but was sort of dull. The bevels are plenty acute and a few passes on the sharpmaker had it popping hairs so no worries there. My Stretch2 on the other hand was extremely sharp. One of the sharpest I have seen in a while.

17. nickedone

nickedone

Nov 8, 2000
    Nice re-profiling, Lance.

Proclaiming Independence! ... and my old Wegners and 'Venators (not to mention UKPKs) salute your forking the lineage --no pun intended.

My Stretch HAP40 arrived with splendid fit and finish; tight lockup, hairza-poppin-sharp, with mildly asymmetric lami lines. Woot.

as for reprofiling--it's all about the choice, or

whatever [​IMG]

errrrr, kayak

18. TheOutdoorNerd

TheOutdoorNerd

Oct 30, 2015
    I like the natural, "artisan" look of the non-uniform lamination lines, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with that one. Intellectually I understand that there's zero difference in functionality, but I dunno. I guess maybe it's just OCD.

19. johnny_boy02

johnny_boy02

Apr 3, 2014
    From what I have read hear the slight up/down movement of the blade is just something that happens with this style lock. My Enduras all do it.

I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge will explain it.

20. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, please explain how lock rock is good