Hapstone V7 vs. Edge Pro Apex vs. KME

I'm going to buy one of these systems soon. I'm leaning toward the Hapstone. I've watched videos of all of them. They all seem to do the job, but the Hapstone I think will be easier for me personally.

Any other opinions on the subject? Thanks

B

Hapstone and Edge Pro have longer stones, and I think you can grind faster with longer stones. On the other hand, it makes the stones cost more.

Thanks. i'm not really that concerned with the cost of the stones. I'm just sharpening my own knives and I don't have that many.

I wanted a Haptstone, but they were out of stock at the time. So I bought an Edge Pro. If I had it to do over I would get the Hapstone, not because I think it would produce better edges, but because it addresses all the inconveniences of the Edge Pro (i.e. stone thickness compensator, upgraded shaft pivot mechanism, parking hook for shaft, three point backing plate, magnet). I suspect all those things would make the sharpening process more pleasant.

All that said, I am still able to get screaming sharp edges off the Edge Pro, far better than I could achieve freehand. And the basic Edge Pro is $75 cheaper than the basic Hapstone. So just have to decide if those extra features are worth it to you. I think you can achieve the same quality edge from either system.

EDIT: Another consideration is the weight. Since the Hapstone is made of all metal it weighs considerably more than the plastic Edge Pro. The Edge Pro also comes with a nice cordura carrying case. Just some considerations if you plan on being mobile with it.

Last edited:
One thing that has had me leaning toward a KME is that unlike the other 2 there is an add-on to allow for Convex grinds

There is one for Hapstone too. I don't if it is readily available, but I saw a video of someone using it.

I like my hapstone m2 better than my edge pro or kme. The kme is clamped so it comes with some minor obstacles with different blade geometry. Thats also why i like the table systems better. But you have to figure it out on your own for the most part.

I avoid recurves. If i need to sharpen the one i have i use the corner of a bench stone. Or edge pro stone in my hand. I dont like using ceramic for my high Vanadium steels. So i wouldn't use those curved rods. Of which they are normally just one grit included iirc.

Another vote for the Hapstone M2, it's not as overbuilt as the V7 but it's only $200 with decent stones and has everything the Edge Pro should have.

Reactions: Mo2
I’ll throw a vote for the hapstone k1, but I have one headed towards me.

Seems like a good mix of the m2 and the r1. Rotating clamp, decent price, what looks like a solid base, etc etc.

Cons may be no stone thickness compensator, but I was informed that adjustments as easy and are doable one handed. Also, I don’t think there is a recurve accessory available for it.

I went ahead and bought the V7 and have successfully sharpened several knives on it. I don't see the K1 anywhere.. even on their website, so I don't know what you are referring to.

I immediately dropped the 120 grit stone and broke it right after using it once. :( I don't think the stones are very good quality, so I ordered a new complete set of silicon carbide stones that will be here tomorrow... also thinking of getting some polishing tape. I also ordered a leather strop stone as well.

I immediately dropped the 120 grit stone and broke it right after using it once. :( I don't think the stones are very good quality, so I ordered a new complete set of silicon carbide stones that will be here tomorrow... also thinking of getting some polishing tape. I also ordered a leather strop stone as well.

I suspect that most stones are going to be fragile in that fashion. I suppose it depends on how far it fell.

Someone else linked the K1 already. Went live on their site over the weekend.
Mine should hopefully be here tomorrow.

Reactions: Mo2
I have a V7 and like it a lot. For recurve they say to use a half inch wide stone. More features than an EP. KME is more portable but can get very expensive with all the add ons and I don't think you can do chef knives with it.

Another vote for the M2. Have had mine for several months now and love it. Now if I were to get a clamped system, I would lean heavily to the new R1. Built like a tank like all Hapstones, but all the "option" stops, collars, micro adjusts, everything. Course its over double the cost of my M2 also... For my needs, mix of folding and fixed, 2.0" to 5.5" blades from and 440c to s110v the M2 with good stones is the shiznit.

I've had the Edge Pro Apex for yrs and love it... For re-contouring an edge, I have a nice DMT diamond stone...2" x 6" x 1/4"...that makes it a breeze. For recurves, I use a stone that is only about 1/4" wide, clamped in the Edge Pro as usual, and it works great...( just used in the recurve section..) I added my own hi-strength magnet, and for light work...I wouldn't even have to hand onto the blade to sharpen it...
I wouldn't change this for anything...not even the fancy machines that do both edges with the one setup...

Last edited:
Back