Hard use folder recommendation plz!

I hike with a stainless Opinel for food prep. Looking for a second folder to take on the ignominious tasks of light wood processing, opening packaging, carving wooden spoons, softening the ground for tent stakes, and if I really get into trouble somehow, like lost or hurt, more serious bushcraft.

So I'm looking for a hard-use folder with the following attributes -

Blade should be around 3" and ideally .125" thick but down to .09 or .1 is OK if it can take a beating.

Must-have:
- 2-handed opening. I travel and hike in Europe, and the local cops are generally fine with locking folders but not so much the one-handed opening kind. Also I find most (but not all) flippers a little geeky, personally.
- Locking, ideally lockback but liner lock is OK
- Doesn't look tactical

I like but don't need:
-Micarta or wood handles
-Carbon steel

Looking forward to your recommendations!

Last edited:
I'd pair that Opinel with a fixed blade given your parameters. Less trouble with the law since it's more clearly defined in most places, a fixed blade will be more hard use and you can get more variety with carbon steel and wood handles.

Small fixed blade should really be easiest.

If you want it for carving I would get the round nose Mora, carbon steel, 3.2 inches long, you can sharpen the end like a round chisel, and even with the sheath is less that 4oz.

Or the Mora Rookie - blade under 3" and weighs even less. Has wooden handle do not tactical at all.

But if you really want a folder...I would say a Cold Steel Finn Wolf. Sandi grind, robust triad lock, non tactical handle colours.... And cheap. So if you really are going to use it to dig in the dirt you won't care. 3.5" blade though....

And just remove the thumb stud to make it a two hand opener.

Buck 112 comes to mind.

Affordable, durable, time tested, excellent warranty, and lots of steel and scale choices :thumbsup:

Man, the Buck 112 is an all-time great knife for sure. I don't see myself carrying it in Europe, though, since it looks slightly too much like a hunting blade for people in that area to be used to seeing, more likely to be scary-looking to someone. Not super likely, but possible and avoidable with a more utilitarian design. So I don't carry clip-point, wharncliffe, anything too pointy. Even leaf blade is kinda on the edge for me in that scenario. But drop-point, sheepsfoot, sometimes spearpoint, is fine. I usually go with drop-point.

Baggins beat me to it, I'd say any of the under $45 Cold Steel knives, remove the thumb stud and even the pocket clip if you want to make it more traditional looking, and the bright colors do seem to make people think tool not weapon. For the price they are a good option, can take abuse and are basically disposable in case it gets lost, stolen, confiscated.

Wow, this could be a really great find. Just a tad longer than I'm looking for. But I might pick one up anyway, to have for other expeditions, like to Central Asia, where I've lived and often travel to.

I mean, if it's well done, I really like the idea of a contoured, walnut-handled folder. So expensive tho. If it gets glowing reviews, might not be able to resist haha.

Man, the Buck 112 is an all-time great knife for sure. I don't see myself carrying it in Europe, though, since it looks slightly too much like a hunting blade for people in that area to be used to seeing, more likely to be scary-looking to someone. Not super likely, but possible and avoidable with a more utilitarian design. So I don't carry clip-point, wharncliffe, anything too pointy. Even leaf blade is kinda on the edge for me in that scenario. But drop-point, sheepsfoot, sometimes spearpoint, is fine. I usually go with drop-point.

They do make a 112 Drop Point.

I'd pair that Opinel with a fixed blade given your parameters. Less trouble with the law since it's more clearly defined in most places, a fixed blade will be more hard use and you can get more variety with carbon steel and wood handles.

Haha, what I use right now most of the time is a Mora, actually. Just liking the idea of a rugged folder with similar ability. Mostly to vary up the experience I guess. As I think about it, switching between knives (and other tools) keeps the appreciation fresh for each of them.

Have you ever checked out the Otter Messer Anchor Knife? Two sizes, stainless or carbon. Non locking, but very robust spring. Sheeps foot blade. I have the large carbon version. Very tough folder. I really like it. It takes a razor edge. Very non tactical looking. Shouldn't scare any sheep.
Bob

Have you ever checked out the Otter Messer Anchor Knife? Two sizes, stainless or carbon. Non locking, but very robust spring. Sheeps foot blade. I have the large carbon version. Very tough folder. I really like it. It takes a razor edge. Very non tactical looking. Shouldn't scare any sheep.
Bob

Actually, no. I've had the Otter Mercator knife, but not Otter Anchor knife. Loved the Otter Mercator. The Otter Anchor is very intriguing. Not surprised to hear you like it.

Reactions: rdg
Baggins beat me to it, I'd say any of the under $45 Cold Steel knives, remove the thumb stud and even the pocket clip if you want to make it more traditional looking, and the bright colors do seem to make people think tool not weapon. For the price they are a good option, can take abuse and are basically disposable in case it gets lost, stolen, confiscated.

Interesting. I like the simplicity and disposability of this option.

Small fixed blade should really be easiest.

If you want it for carving I would get the round nose Mora, carbon steel, 3.2 inches long, you can sharpen the end like a round chisel, and even with the sheath is less that 4oz.

Or the Mora Rookie - blade under 3" and weighs even less. Has wooden handle do not tactical at all.

But if you really want a folder...I would say a Cold Steel Finn Wolf. Sandi grind, robust triad lock, non tactical handle colours.... And cheap. So if you really are going to use it to dig in the dirt you won't care. 3.5" blade though....

And just remove the thumb stud to make it a two hand opener.

Oh, I fully intend to dig with it :) I have a Mora now, love it. May get one of the two you suggest as well. At that price, why not? Just looking for a folder to change things up.

Check out the Ruike M11
Sounds like you want a larger lockback or even a slip joint.

Back