• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hardened flat platens, radius platens, platen chillers for KMG

Thanks, Nathan!
I've got my plain platen - very useful thing...

I've been using my platen chiller for a few months now and I love that thing. I don't know how I lived without it before. Thanks nathan. Now to save for a radius platen

When the platen chiller and 36" radius platen become available I would like both. Thanks

There are a lot of different items in this thread. Please read the descriptions below and follow the ordering instructions to make sure you get what you need. Please also read the tips and instructions below so you understand how these are best used.

To start with we have 10 48" radius platens. These are made of A2 and hardened to HRC63-64. It simulates a 48" wheel. They're $110 each.

If you buy a radius platen you're probably going to want a water cooled platen chiller because they get hot.

We also have 4 extra long flat platens with 3/8" end radius. They're made of 3/8" D2. The heat treat is optimized for abrasive wear resistance. These are used for lengthwise grinding with the top wheel removed. Grinding with the top wheel removed can get hot, you will probably need a platen chiller. They're $150 each SOLD OUT.

We also have plain D2 flat platens. They're made of 3/8" PFG D2 and heat treated in a way to maximize abrasion resistance. If all you're planning on doing is old fashioned flat grinding this is the platen for you. They're $90 each.

Most people don't need a platen chiller for regular flat grinding, though many people do benefit from one.

And last we have aluminum water cooled platen chillers for $60 each.

Flat rate shipping in the USA is $5.

These items are made to fit the KMG standard, which is 2X8 with 1/4-20 mounting holes that are 6 3/4" center to center. Some people have adapted these to other grinders.

I will give a description of the items in separate posts below to keep this first post short and sweet.

If these platens will fit your grinder and you would like to buy one of these, I need you to please follow these instructions to help me keep up with everything (otherwise folks will fall through the cracks).

1: State your claim in this thread.

2: send me an email (not a private message) carothersknives at gmail dought com

The email should include what you are buying, your BladeForums handle (i.e.: "Nathan the Machinist"), your actual name, your shipping address and your paypal email address.

I will send a PayPal invoice to that email.

3. Pay the paypal invoice. Once it is paid, I will ship your order to the name and address you gave in your order email.

If you don't want to use paypal, we can arrange to send a check.

If there are any shortages things will be based upon first come first serve who posts in this thread. I have to do it this way to keep things sane.

Staking my claim to order

Back