Hardest steel available today?? (highest HRC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all... I'd like to know what is the hardest steel available today for knives (i mean, the one with highest HRC), and which knives use it.

My limited knowledge about steels suggests me the Fallkniven 3G steel @ 62 HRC.

Anything tougher?
Damascus steels?

thanks!

Probably ZDP at 67HRC from William Henry and IIRC Rockstead has pretty high HRC on their's too.

The french company "Evercut" has made a special alloy (featuring titanium carbide) using unorthodox methods that is said to be 300 times harder than any steel out there, and even harder than "normal" ceramic blades. They produce a quality kitchen knife with it.
I read an article & test about it in the french knife magazine "Excalibur" and it seems that the claims ring true, it's not hype. The edge holding is beyond belief.
Like ceramic blades, the material is not suitable for chopping, only for cutting. It would be cool to see a company like Spyderco licensing it for use in a gentlemeny folder (which will only be used for cutting, not chopping).
If you can read french, you may want to visit http://www.evercut.fr/
It's seems they got an innovation award for it.

Last edited:
CPM M4 routinely gets hardened to 64 or even more - and this is its working hardness.

What about that "liquid metal" stuff that was talked about so much here 4-5 years or so ago? Whatever happened to making knives out of that material?

Al

vanadis 10 (bohler steel) can get as hard as ZDP. but with almost 10% vanadium. very few maker use this but the one i know said that it was very hard on the belts and so very expensive to produce.

but i's not stainless.

here is a comparison with S110V

ZDP-189 is a very hard steel, sometimes up to 67HRC.

ZDP-189 for the win!:thumbup:

[edit] A word to the OP.You should consider changing your name if you want anyone to take you seriously.Unless you're a commercial fisherman.:p

Last edited:
Title says it all... I'd like to know what is the hardest steel available today for knives (i mean, the one with highest HRC), and which knives use it.

My limited knowledge about steels suggests me the Fallkniven 3G steel @ 62 HRC.

Anything tougher?
Damascus steels?

thanks!

Just checking, are you aware that Hardness and Toughness are not the same thing? As hardness goes up, toughness proportionately goes down.

Are you high?

Why would he be high? Diamond IS the hardest substance known to man.:confused:

I think Boker have folders called Leo damascus something that has damascus blades made out of tank barrels (them pipes which the blinking huge bullets fly out of) at RC 67 or 68 I can't remember.

I'm from Malaysia, we don't have many tanks, forgive my lack of knowledge regarding tank parts... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back