Hardness question

So, most Busse knives are rated at 58-60 Rockwell. Many other knife makers give a similar 2 point spread but I have seen some manufacturers list theirs at exactly one value, even giving a decimal point, i.e. 60.4 or something. Is there a spread in how the tempering affects individual knives or in determining the exact value.
Thanks to those willing to enlighten...

if the maker do HRC tests on every blade , then he can tell the exactly HRC value of those blades .

even under the same HT procedure , there is allways a spread on hardness and +_1 is not a big deal, you no need to worry about it .

Last edited:
Just curious. ??? Are Busse knives individually hardness tested? Or they batch hardened & tempered and then one or more knives randomly selected and hardness tested which would logically dictate that all of the knives in that batch are in the same/identical hardness range?

The reason I am asking/curious is that knives that are individually hardness tested will usually have a tiny dot/detent on the blade which is the location where the hardness test was performed on that particular knife & I have stripped the coating off of several Busse knives (to date) and I have not ever seen a Hardness Testing dot anywhere on any of the knife blades that I own.

So how is the exact hardness determined?

As semi production knife CO. ,Busse combat can not do HRC TEST on every blade they made, all they can do just Sampling Inspection .
Cause under the same HT procedure , there always a spread . when you set a default HT value as 59 HRC , then you will get + -1 point from default after the HT procedure, small spreading this is normal .
In the world of custom knife , the maker can do the HRC test on every slab of steel , simply cause they can .
Busse knives they are high quality tools with awesome warranty , you no need to worry about your Busse knife .

Oh...I have no shred of doubt as to Busse Combat w/ regard to blade quality. I have already done my own field testing of my first Busse knife purchase which was the TankBuster.
That knife got me hooked on Busse for life.

It was more just a curiosity question.

I only have one other knife (by GRYPHON Knives) and it has a tiny hardness testing dot on the blade which is what sparked my curiosity on the Busse knives.

Can't recall that anyone has ever reported a hardness testing dimple on a Busse blade. We simple don't know if or how frequently they test. I have visited the shop of a mid-tech folder maker, and he does the HT on the cut out blade blanks, then cuts the bevels with CNC mills. We know that Busse has the mills, so if their operation is similar, then they might run Rockwell testing on the edge side of a heat treated blank, before cutting the bevels, and the evidence will be gone.

That is all just some educated guessing, as those who do know aren't talking.

As far as I have seen, almost all companies indicate hardness with a 2 digit span. Knife Research, an italian company, specifies theirs with one decimal. It just made me wonder how this all works...

Back