Hardness Tester Advice

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I spotted this hardness tester at a local antique dealer, but he wasn't around this afternoon so I took his card.
Can anyone tell me anything about this thing, these models, etc.? Would this be a item to pursue? Any obvious ways to check if it's in working order before I call the guy?

Thanks!

-E

IMG_20190616_125309-small.jpg

IMG_20190616_125506-small.jpg

Well, of course you can check if the diamond indenter is installed on it for "C" scale... and look around for anything obviously broken. Beyond that I'd be trying to Google any product literature available to see if I could fire the thing up and do a test. You could bring a blade or sample of known RC hardness, or at least a file, to test and see if it's in the ball park. Make sure that if there's an oil reservoir in the rear, that it's filled as necessary with the right oil (I just run SAE 30 hydraulic oil in mine.)

Thanks, Salem, that gives me several things to look for. I doubt the guy has additional parts for it, but at least that gives me an idea what to ask.
All the manuals I've found online so far refer to modern units with wifi or ethernet. :confused:

If there isn't a box with the anvils, the unit is close to useless. The anvils are sets of round and other shaped plates that fit on top of the ram. The box they are in usually has extra diamond indenters and certified test blocks. If there is no box of accessories offer $$100. If it has the anvils and you can test it out to verify it is working, it may be a great deal. Start at $300 and see where he wants to go. I think $500-800 in accurate running shape and with all accessories is a good deal.

Here is some help:
http://endustriyelolcumcihazlari.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/automatic_digi_25r.pdf
The accessory box is at the bottom of this page.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ballpark figures, Stacy. I was going to call the guy today, but got consumed by the shop instead. Not that I'm complaining.

Back