Has anybody noticed this about franchise pizza?

Dave H---last time I went to Marion, OH, the Godfather's was still open...great lunch buffet! :)

I prefer the white pizzas at Round Table.
Round Table is not bad, but way overpriced. Here in NY my local place regularly has $9.99 large pies that really are large. Last year I was visiting my folks in CA and got two "large" Round Table pizzas with a couple of toppings - they were as large as a medium anywhere else, and cost me over $40.

im lucky-i have a good pizza guy around the corner-he made them at another place and i would order just because he was working, then a place opened up around the corner by a jewish guy(he was my all time favorite maker) lived at the place for a year or so-we talked about me doing some tile at his next store-
i went out of town for a few days and when i walked in it was the guy from the other place i liked-i guess the jewish guy didnt pay tax's and went back to Israel-dam shame because he was a master -joe bought the place and makes a fine pie,and he makes me italian wings,cooks the wings ,covers them in a creamy italian and reheats then poors grated cheese over-
with hot sauce on the side :)

A number of years ago, there was a chain out of South Florida called Cozzolis that was about as pure NYC as a chain could get.

I liked Cozzoli's. I think they were bought out by Villa Pizza, which is usually cheap on the cheese and too soggy. The Cozzoli's website says they "partnered" with Villa, but amazingly the Cozzoli's here closed and not Villa. :thumbdn:

Ad another to the list of chain pizza jint not started by Italians.
Hungry Howies, Jim Hearn, Somewhere in the Detroit area.

they have about 30 stores in the detroit area. I thought they were a regional chain. I had no idea they were in other states. Howies is consistant though. You will get a consistantly lousy pizza no matter which one you go to.

The six I listed in my first post are the top six nationwide chains.

I think it's the ovens. Most of the carry out pizza places now use that conveyor junk. It makes a lousy pizza. If you look into the kitchen you should see a huge stainless steel box with box wide rectangular doors on the front. If you don't see that walk away.

Macaroni Grill is the only chain restaurant's pizza I really care for. They don't count for a pizza chain though I suppose. Even so, it's nothing so special that I feel compelled to go there on my own money.

I remember when young we used to visit my older brothers or sisters in school, we go to Noble Romans in west Lafayette IN. They had something called the colossus, which I think was 20 inch, it was marvelously exotic and exciting when I was a kid. Lotsa of great memories of that place.

Also was a place called Brunos Swiss Inn, they had some unique pizza, lots and lots of cheese.

My favorite when a young adult there my favorite was Papa Buds Pizza.

I haven't been back to Lafayette in 15 years so who knows what it's like now.

I think it's the ovens. Most of the carry out pizza places now use that conveyor junk. It makes a lousy pizza. If you look into the kitchen you should see a huge stainless steel box with box wide rectangular doors on the front. If you don't see that walk away.

Where I come from, you walk out if you see the stainless steel ovens. Pizza should be cooked in a 700 degree coal-fired brick oven that is as large as a small room.

There is a place called Mello Mushroom and they make really good hand tossed-sour dough pizzas. i don't know if they are a chain though.

Round Table is not bad, but way overpriced. Here in NY my local place regularly has $9.99 large pies that really are large. Last year I was visiting my folks in CA and got two "large" Round Table pizzas with a couple of toppings - they were as large as a medium anywhere else, and cost me over $40.

They are large and pricey. But I get both a Lancaster Eagles (local High School) and a military discount so it's pretty reasonable for me. I don't know of any other pizza chain that offers a military discount.......

:D
j

We usually do Papa Murphy's Take 'n Bake. We also like to make it ourselves.

If we go out for pizza, it is usually to Abby's Pizza, a small Northwest chain.

I like Round Table, but they are expensive for what you get.

I used to deliver for Domino's on the side in 1983-'85, and their pizza was decent then. I think it had to do with the ingredients coming from a company owned commissary, but now the individual franchise owners can buy their own ingredients from whatever source they wish. When the local guy started doing that, his quality went way down.

Pizza Hut makes me sick to my stomach every damn time I eat it. I recently took my daughters to Pizza Hut at their request, and we no sooner made it home, and ........(I'll spare you guys the details) :barf:

Papa Johns recently opened a store here, and after eating that, I'd rather go back to Pizza Hut!

Dominos used to really suck - the sauce tasted like ketchup, the ingredients didn't taste fresh, and the crust tasted like cardboard. At some point in the 1990s they got marginally better.

with the exception of pizza hut pan pizza
I don't care for their pan pizza - too greasy. Nothing at all like real deep-dish pizza. The hand-tossed Pizza Hut doesn't totally suck, and it's the best pizza here due to no other choices.

Anyone live in NW Arkansas? The best place around there was Eureka Pizza. I was even in one of their television commercials, although I never saw it myself.

There used to be a great NY style Pizza place on the north end of Taos, NM called Outback Pizza. I haven't been there in about 15 years, so it may be gone.
Classic! Yes, it's still there. They did have to change the name from "Outback Pizza" to "Toas Pizza Out Back", but it's the same pizza and in the same location. A bit hippy-ish as far as ingredients, nothing at all like Chicago pizza where I grew up. But it does taste freakin' wonderful! Super-fresh ingredients on a wonderfully-bready crust. I ate there regularly when I worked in the forest near Toas and was last there a couple of months ago.

-Bob

The original question was about a NY style pizza,I think. Having lived in the Detroit area, If you like Domino, you'll also enjoy eating the cardboard box that has cheese stuck to it. Monahan and Mike Ilitch both started making pizza around the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. If you are ever in the Detroit area try a Buscemi's pizza. I think NY pizzas have chunks of tomatoes on them. I'm in SoFla now, but going north soon. Going to Roger's Roost for a deep dish.

Excellent pizza at Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta... there is one about 5 minutes from Cobb Galleria, home of Blade 07.

Back