1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Has anybody noticed this about franchise pizza?

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Ilovetoolsteel, May 14, 2007.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Dec 2, 1999
    does it matter?

2. chickenfried

chickenfried

Feb 27, 2003
    But the OP was wondering why no chain pizza company founder's are italian or come from italian communities.

3. DaveH

DaveH

Dec 2, 1999
    Maybe because real authentic pizza doesn't scale to large chains or appeal to the vast unwashed multitudes?

4. java

java

Dec 29, 2001
    Sweet and sour pork is Cantonese - gu lou yuk - but is popular in American cuisine. Egg foo yung has Cantonese origins as fu yung daan (hibiscus eggs) but has become a western Chinese restaurant staple. Chop suey, on the other hand, is thoroughly an American-Chinese invention.

Pizza is Italian made made possible through the New World gift of the tomato. As stated in the Wiki:

The first marinara pizzas used only spices, olive oil, and tomato sauce as their toppings. It wasn't untill the mid-1800s that the cheese was included on what Neopolitans call the margherita type of pizza. Pizza made its appearance in the US in the late 19th century with Italian immigrants in NYC, Philly, Chicago, and SF. Our modern pizza industry was started in Chicago in 1943 with Pizzeria Uno.

:D
    j

5. zulu45

zulu45

Jul 14, 2006
    +1. I've visited NYC once, and when I tried an authentic NYC pizza, it spoiled all other pizzas for me. I've found places here and there that come very close to it, never in a chain, but nothing has ever matched the real thing. I get hungry just thinking about it.

Here in my hometown, I'm lucky that they opened a mom and pop pizza place that gets it about 90% like the real thing. Great food there, and really great prices.

Another place comes to mind, a place in Murray, KY called Matt B's. Pretty close to NYC pizza, too. But it's been years since I've been there, don't know if that place still exists.

6. Kimberholic

Kimberholic

Sep 19, 2002
    Pizza is like sex....

When it is good it is good

But when it is bad it is still good.:D