• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Has anyone in Canada ordered a folder from the states recently? Did your knife get through?

I'm in Canada and I want to send a Benchmade over for parts. I'm worried it may get seized on the way back.

Also wanted to order an anodized ZT0452. But the last time I was trying to around 2 years ago, flippers were being seized frequently

Has anyone from Canada recently had a flipper or something like an axis lock that's easy to flick out? Did it get through?

How would they know whether it's a flipper or not?
Are they opening every package that comes across the border, or just then ones labled "Knife"?

I onced shipped to Canada and I declared the item a "wood carving tool"...it went through just fine.

It shouldn't be a problem with Customs since you can buy Benchmades in Canada. However,the Covid-19 insanity apparently has infected Canada Post and maybe Customs, too -- service seems even slower than usual. If Canada Post was a convenience store they'd have gone out of business in two days.

How would they know whether it's a flipper or not?
Are they opening every package that comes across the border, or just then ones labled "Knife"?

I onced shipped to Canada and I declared the item a "wood carving tool"...it went through just fine.
I had a mass drop mordax seized in 2019 for having a " flipper". It didn't say flipper on the exterior of the package. I've heard many other knives with flippers being seized as well.
It shouldn't be a problem with Customs since you can buy Benchmades in Canada. However,the Covid-19 insanity apparently has infected Canada Post and maybe Customs, too -- service seems even slower than usual. If Canada Post was a convenience store they'd have gone out of business in two days.
CBSA policy explicitly states, that just because a knife is sold in Canada isn't a reason for it not to be seized.

I have knives that need warranty work done as well. But, I have given up on getting knives across the border. I can't comment on 2020, but I can say I personally had a knife seized, and know many others who did as well in 2019. The same policies are still in place, so I don't see why anything would have changed.

I've had a few Spiderco's from Blade HQ since the sky starting falling and they're pretty easy to shake open.

I haven't ordered anything that flips open.

They xray a lot of stuff at the border. And they do open up the boxes.

Tighten the pivot. Send a note with your knife asking Benchmade to do the same on return.

I ordered a FFKW Buc from Massdrop, they sent a Dew Hara Kabuto instead, by mistake. Then, they send the right one afterwards. Both went through without any hiccups. That was in Feb 2020 pre-Covid19.

It seems it can be hit or miss on practically any folder coming into Canada. I've only had 2 shipments with folding knives come from outside Canada (Massdrop Gent and WE Rustic) and neither was seized. The Rustic I was sure wouldn't be a problem with it being a backlock, but I wasn't so sure of the Gent.

If you decide to accept the risk, I hope everything goes problem-free. :)

I worry more about cover materials getting through US Customs. The majority of my purchases (only 1 was an assisted opening folder) from US sources I have shipped to a US border town, then a (very good) friend in a Canadian border town brings my them over and mails them to me. My friend always makes a verbal declaration at the crossing but he has never been asked for any details about the knife, other than value, by Canadian Customs.

Brian

Just got my St Nick's exclusive Manix 2 last Friday after 3 weeks in transit.I wasn't too thrilled that the put,"Spyderco Manix 2" as a description on the Customs form.

The ONLY time in 18 years of shipping knives I had a problem was shipping a 'flipper' sculpted art knife to Canada. Called it a 'Camping tool' on a recommendation. Nope, won't do that again.

Seized and never returned. Illegal and incorrectly stated. They did NOT like this.

I wish you bettter.

Any one handed opening knife has the potential to be seized, there is no workaround or foolproof method of getting things past the CBSA, shipping in two packages is your BEST BET. Richmond terminal seems to seize a lot more than the Eastern terminals.
1. Tightening pivot may or may not work,
2. Zip tying the knife shut may or my not work.
3. Any option you think is clever may or may not work.

Some knives get through, some do not. It's all up to the agents' discretion. Don't believe anyone who tells you it's safe, just because their last 10 transactions went through smoothly doesn't mean yours will. I wish you luck on your warranty return, but I know of several people who lost their knives this way and are still in the appeal process months later.

My last seizure was 2 1/2 months ago, the one before that almost 2 years. I've had many many come through safely in the meantime but I seriously wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

I sold several knives through eBay to Canada in January and February and they all went through and that's including having the description on the package for what its worth.

The last knife I sent to Canada was seized. Held for 4 months before finally being released to the Canadian buyer. Took nearly daily phone calls and constant pressure on Canadian customs officials by the buyer. Not doing that again... no more shipping to Canada.

Heck, I won't even buy knives coming ftom Canada anymore as it's just not worth the hassle or possible seizure of my property.

Canadians, I hope someday you get your country back ftom the cowards and nannies that seem to run it. Here in a couple years, you may only have spoons to defend yourselves.

Has anyone had the same experience with knives coming from Canada to the US? I have a fixed blade en route that hit the border last Monday and hasn’t moved since.

Has anyone had the same experience with knives coming from Canada to the US? I have a fixed blade en route that hit the border last Monday and hasn’t moved since.

Yes, several times. It will eventually move and you will likely get it, but the delay can be up to several weeks. Most recently (about a year or so ago), I bought two bushcraft knives from a great private retailer in Canada and each time I waited 4+ weeks from date of shipping to receive my knives. I can't explain it but the Canada Post and their customs are ridiculous. It is what it is. Hope you get your blade soon.

Yes, several times. It will eventually move and you will likely get it, but the delay can be up to several weeks. Most recently (about a year or so ago), I bought two bushcraft knives from a great private retailer in Canada and each time I waited 4+ weeks from date of shipping to receive my knives. I can't explain it but the Canada Post and their customs are ridiculous. It is what it is. Hope you get your blade soon.
Thanks for the info and hope. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow according the tracking info but it sounds like I can stop holding my breath.

Thanks for the info and hope. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow according the tracking info but it sounds like I can stop holding my breath.

Yeah, it will arrive. In my experience, there would be zero movement for a 2-3 weeks and then, bam! It shows up. I know it's frustrating for the Canadian knife sellers, too.

BTW, I know of one very reputable Canadian seller that has been so frustrated with his nation's custom's policies/practices that he only ships one day a week. He spends a day driving to/from from his home near Winnipeg to North Dakota, and ships from there.

Back