• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Has anyone in Canada ordered a folder from the states recently? Did your knife get through?

Has anyone had the same experience with knives coming from Canada to the US? I have a fixed blade en route that hit the border last Monday and hasn’t moved since.
There shouldn't be any issues with items leaving Canada for the US.

The last knife I sent to Canada was seized. Held for 4 months before finally being released to the Canadian buyer. Took nearly daily phone calls and constant pressure on Canadian customs officials by the buyer. Not doing that again... no more shipping to Canada.

Heck, I won't even buy knives coming ftom Canada anymore as it's just not worth the hassle or possible seizure of my property.

Canadians, I hope someday you get your country back ftom the cowards and nannies that seem to run it. Here in a couple years, you may only have spoons to defend yourselves.

We are unfortunately, screwed.

There shouldn't be any issues with items leaving Canada for the US.
Those issues are with the US folks processing the packages. I don't know if anyone watches "Border Security" on Nat Geo but if you do you'll see the Canadian Agents searching and X-raying packages and occasional seizures of one knife in the mail or from a sailor when the search a vessel in port. You'll see the US Agents doing the same types of searches but they will seizing cartons of counterfeit knives. As an example a case lot of Microtech Swtichblades all with factory boxes etc but all 100% fake. So from that I would take the US folks as fairly serious about checking incoming packages and no doubt right now very backed up.

BTW, I know of one very reputable Canadian seller that has been so frustrated with his nation's custom's policies/practices that he only ships one day a week. He spends a day driving to/from from his home near Winnipeg to North Dakota, and ships from there.
Used to do that all the time in the 80s for bike and motorcycle parts. Pretty normal for a business around there to have a box in the Pembina Office back then. Way before eBay and Paypal was a thing so the easy way to ship and receive.

As a rule most countries border control agencies don't really care a lot about what you send out. The put their energy in to what's coming in.

I'm in Canada and I want to send a Benchmade over for parts. I'm worried it may get seized on the way back.

Also wanted to order an anodized ZT0452. But the last time I was trying to around 2 years ago, flippers were being seized frequently

Has anyone from Canada recently had a flipper or something like an axis lock that's easy to flick out? Did it get through?

I have heard that Benchmade might be willing to actually ship you the parts you need (even omega springs). So you may not need to actually ship the knife out at all.
Apparently they are quite aware of the Canadian Border Patrols Shenanigans and are trying to be more accommodating to help avoid the risk of seizure at the border.

If I were you I would absolutely give them a call (voice, NOT email or a web form), explain what you need. Along with your situation and fears, and see what they can do for you.

I got my knives from US with blade separated from the scales and shipped that way.Never had any issues.

Well this thread has me stressing now! I ordered a Small Sebenza 21 from a retailer in Texas with shipping to Ontario last week. The packaged is currently in Chicago so I'll be sure to update this thread with how it goes.

The last knife I ordered from the US was a Benchmade Ritter Mini Grip about 3 years ago and it was labelled as a "Camping Tool" - had no issues.

Thought for context I'd add a bit more info - I'll continue to update tracking times as a reference and we'll see how long the knife sits at customs/if there are any issues.

May 13 - Order placed with Action Concepts (a CRK Authorized Dealer) through an auction site with USPS Priority Mail International.
May 14 - 10:56am Tracking Number provided.
May 14 - 11:28am USPS in possession of item.
May 14 - 5:35pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility in Austin, Texas.
May 14 - 8:40pm Departed USPS Regional Facility in Austin, Texas.
May 18 - 9:42am Arrived at USPS International Facility in Chicago, Illinois.
May 19 - 12:00am In transit to Next Facility.
May 20 - 12:00am In transit to Next Facility.
May 21 - 12:00am In transit to Next Facility.
May 22 - 12:00am In transit to Next Facility.
May 24 - 2:39pm Customs Clearance Canada
May 24 - 2:39pm Processed Through Facility Canada on route to destination.
June 15 - 2:19pm Contacted Canada Post via web chat to learn that the package is still at customs. I will receive further updates from Canada Post when the package is back in their system.
June 23 - 5:20pm Received a return to my 8 phone calls and 1 voicemail informing me the package is awaiting a secondary inspection. If I don't have an update in the next week or two I was told to call back again to inquire.

Updates to come.

Last edited:
Tracking info updated in my previous post. Looks like there were no issues with customs thankfully! That will probably be my last tracking update until I get the knife but all things considered in the world these days, 10 days to get from Texas through customs isn't too bad in my books.

With no news in 3 weeks I finally contacted Canada Post only to find out that the package with still at customs awaiting clearance. Any advice beyond being patient at this point? Is there anything I can do on my end to try to expedite things?

You will have to get on the phone with a supervisor at the hub that the package tracks to last. They should be able to detail what the missing information is.

That can take a long time to get in touch with someone though.

You will have to get on the phone with a supervisor at the hub that the package tracks to last. They should be able to detail what the missing information is.

That can take a long time to get in touch with someone though.

Thanks for the advice. If I don't get an update in the next couple days I'll have to make a phone call. I can only imagine how that will go...

"Hi, I'd like to get an update on the customs status of a package."
"Hi, what is in the package you're inquiring about?"
"Oh, just a knife."
*click*

Well I called yesterday because CBSA has phone service 7 days a week and the phone call went almost exactly as the post above...

"Hi, I'd like to get an update on the customs status of a package."
"Hi, what is in the package you're inquiring about?"
"A small folding pocket knife."
Dripping with sarcasm; "Well that could be your problem right there! You'll have to call the Mississauga facility tomorrow when they are open."

Let the goose chase begin!

No problems here.Got my $50 flipper from drop, last week and it took just over two weeks to arrive.

It also was not opened or inspected.

Last edited:
After 8 calls and a voicemail on Monday the 23rd my phone call was returned. The knife is awaiting a secondary inspection. They couldn't give any idea on how long it would be but was told if I don't have the package or a seizure letter in my mailbox in the next week or two to phone back again for another update.

Sad day here - finally managed to have a more in depth chat with someone at CBSA and was told that my Small Sebenza 21 Insingo was locked away in a cabinet from which they are working on seized packages from April 2019 so it would likely be more than a year before I found out anything more. If after the further review it will be confiscated I can file an appeal.

The only option for me now is to call the superintendent next week when he is back from vacation and hope for something though at this point I don't have much hope in ever getting the knife.

Anyone have anything to suggest so I don't take a $400 bath on this one?

My opinion is that they are not out to seize or steal your propety just following the rules CBSA has set out. I was able to have a knife returned to the US shipper.
I owned the knife purchased here in Canada and sent it south for modifications and it was caught on the way back just shortly after the new rules were set out.
Pain in the butt and some $$$ but it is possible . Did not take 1 year or even close ,maybe 1 month.

A amngwlvs may I ask what happened now that it is a year later?

Sorry, I just saw this now. Absolutely - on December 28, 2020 I received a notice of seizure from the CBSA indicating that the knife could be opened via centrifugal force. It therefore met the definition of a prohibited weapon and I had 90 days to a) appeal the decision b) re-export the knife to it's country of origin or c) relinquish the knife and it would be destroyed. I posted for advice in another thread here and opted against the appeal. I attempted to re-export but needed a bonded carried that was licensed to transport prohibited goods. I called more than 40 different carriers (most listed directly on CBSA's website as bonded carriers) and couldn't actually find a carrier that would export a single knife person to person. They all only handled commercial, firearms, ammunition, etc. eventually I hit the 90 mark and assume the knife was destroyed but there was eventually an upside... See below.

My opinion is that they are not out to seize or steal your propety just following the rules CBSA has set out. I was able to have a knife returned to the US shipper.
I owned the knife purchased here in Canada and sent it south for modifications and it was caught on the way back just shortly after the new rules were set out.
Pain in the butt and some $$$ but it is possible . Did not take 1 year or even close ,maybe 1 month.

I would generally agree. I don't think in my case anyone was out to steal my property and I'm sure they were just following the rules but...

I wish our government would more clearly outline what is legal and what is not so consumers can clearly know what they can and can't have brought into the country without hassle.
It doesn't make sense that I have to take a gamble and hope that if we have two of the exact same knives one may make it across and the other won't based on some sort of flick test.
It doesn't make sense that when I call a bonded carrier listed on the CBSA website, that they told me to go to, the response was "You got our number from where? We asked to be removed from the CBSA website years ago".
And it certainly doesn't make sense that after my knife is seized and destroyed and I could head to my nations capital and buy the exact same knife from a forum member.

But hey, I got my grail! 🤣

b9SgCmi.jpg

Last edited:
Back