Has this ever happened to anyone else?

While at Home Depot or for that matter, really anywhere, and you walk next to someone who says, "I wish I had some scissors or a knife", and you are right there with your EDC to help them?

Happens to me mostly at Christmas time when out shopping for a tree and you have to cut string. Amazing how you are the only one in the lot with a knife :)

Yup. A number of times. It's also why I carry a smaller, friendly looking SAK style knife or traditional in addition to a large, modern folder. Less time wasted with obnoxious comments.

I had to help a cvs clerk open a package of batteries for an old man's diabetes testing thing. I also had to install said batteries.

While at Home Depot or for that matter, really anywhere, and you walk next to someone who says, "I wish I had some scissors or a knife", and you are right there with your EDC to help them?

Happens to me mostly at Christmas time when out shopping for a tree and you have to cut string. Amazing how you are the only one in the lot with a knife :)

A few times. But I will never, ever reveal that I have a blade on me because it is a felony to carry knives without a lawful purpose in my country. And for the record, edc is not recognized nor accepted as a legal excuse or lawful purpose. It has to be entirely work-related or religion-related, no ifs and no buts about it.

It's amazing how many times I'm on hand when someone suddenly needs a knife. Then two hours later I'm using it and someone says, "What do you need to carry THAT around for ?" ? Go figure....

The only thing I never do is give THEM my knife. If they need something cut I'll do the cutting. I also don't immediately volunteer that I have a knife, I wait to see what project they have in mind.

Happens quite a bit. I never get negative reactions and it gives me a chance to introduce them to why they should carry a knife.

I normally have a traditional but I everyone finds my delica to be cool looking and they like to cut whatever string with it. Tho when they ask what it is I normally say "it's a spyderco brand knife I don't remember the name or price" so I don't have to waste time explaining the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my area, I always carry a folder and not one time has someone been offended by me EDC'ing one. In fact, the response is usually, "I'll look into one".

Yet another argument for carrying a "real" knife and also a halfway decent folding utility blade knife for the sheeple and those who i would not trust with one of my "real" knives ... which is the vast majority or folk.

These little folding utility blade knives can fit in the little watch pocket/lighter pocket found on many jeans, take up very little space and are useful in addition to loaners.

In my area, I always carry a folder and not one time has someone been offended by me EDC'ing one. In fact, the response is usually, "I'll look into one".

No one gets offended, precisely, it's just generally the standard uncomfortable joke as a not-so-subtle hint that I've mildly violated social norms by using a larger, modern folder. It doesn't bother me much, but it does generally waste time with reassurances and such. I find a more traditional option skips past the conversational gambits and wasted time.

No one gets offended, precisely, it's just generally the standard uncomfortable joke as a not-so-subtle hint that I've mildly violated social norms by using a larger, modern folder. It doesn't bother me much, but it does generally waste time with reassurances and such. I find a more traditional option skips past the conversational gambits and wasted time.

I usually laugh and comment along the lines of "this little thing?" lol... While I take care of their cutting chore and hand the item back to them... while I slip my Spyderc K2 or BM 710 back in my pocket... If I'm worried for some reason, I pull my Leatherman Surge and use that... Although it hate that I have to sharpen it literally every time I cut something....

Mostly at the lumber yard those plastic straps that bundle the wood, it surprised me that most of the guys working there wouldn't have a knife with them.

I had a bit of an opposite situation the other day.

I was in Starbucks. For about 5 minutes I watched a lady struggle to open a package that had been very securely wrapped with packing tape. As I got up to leave, I asked her if she'd like to borrow my pocket knife. She laughed and said, "No thank you, I think I've got it," which she actually didn't. Then she said, "I used to carry a knife all the time!"

Well, duh!

Happens all the time at school. Another reason why I go nowhere without a dependable blade.

Well you live in SoCal so.... yeah that sounds about right. I get weird comments about my knives from just about anyone that doesn't already know my hobbies.

Last time I was hiking at Crystal Cove and decided to start whittling a stick while we walked. First thing said, "Don't let people see that! they'll think you're a criminal or something" :( Lo and behold I hear from one of the aquaintences, "and a big knife too"

It's a ZT566... 3.25" blade length...:grumpy:

I'm a SoCal knife owner and ya I'd say more often around Holidays
Especially Christmas
I'm also the kind of person most people wouldn't think carries edc items ( or even knows what edc means lol)
So when I whip out a spydie they are usually surprised!
And then they get impressed by how sharp it is and then start talking sjw stuff about how pocket knives are dangerous and I shouldn't have to carry unless I needed it for work lol ( which I kinda do so..)
Oh Cali......

Is Socal really so bad?
How about the rural areas down there?
Worst case, come up to Norcal. Be prepared for probably not being the one with the best or sharpest EDC anymore, since there are so many pocket clips all the time.
However don't talk to people about their knives. They seem a bit less open than the bay area for example. Nodding is kind of OK but even just a smile is too much :p Also asking about a knife might appear weird to a person to whom knives are as normal as wearing socks.

Back