Hatchet Jacks!

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi folks,
I designed these little guys several years ago, and received these two in the mail from Ryan Weeks today as my cut on our collaborative project, and I couldn't be happier! Just in time for the apocalypse, (too soon, I know- sorry but a guy's gotta laugh grimly from time to time).

Kydex bending by David Brown.

Anyhoo...I'm really stoked on these little hatchets. A nice size and with a useful shape for carrying in your vehicle or strapping to your pack. I know they'll throw pretty well, but I think I wanna keep these in nice shape, and don't think I'll throw them- they kinda represent the end of an era.

Hope you like the photos :)

uUAG8CE.jpg

QI3JkdT.jpg

qyGVFEE.jpg

6rfatWp.jpg

2HiC4Ss.jpg

wrx7JxK.jpg

9j5bqdH.jpg

kZyfrkf.jpg

I really like those!!!! I know allot of knife makers need to protect they're secrets,,but can you on pm me a description, or draw a diagram of, what shape you start with and how you get to the final shape ,,,,thanks

sorry, I don't know where to begin with answering that question. I guess I could say that you start somewhere, and decide to finish when you feel like you've gotten there. Sometimes where you start and where you end don't seem to jive but the end result works well enough
:confused:

hey thanks very much!

The V1.0 is really heavy. A little too heavy, maybe good for keeping in the car it would definitely help cut you out of one if need be. Fits pretty well into the door panel compartment, (although I don't keep expensive things in my car so that's more or less theoretical or whatever) and is small enough to wave around in confined spaces. I might hit up the handle and reshape it a bit at some point, there is lots of material left to play with.

I haven't yet used the V2.0 but am really looking forward to it. It's quite practical, pretty light and well balanced. Just wanna spend a little time convexing the bevel before I bust it out, but there's lots of woodwork to do around the homestead and lots of time to do it by the look of things.

I tweaked the edge geometry today and polished up the convex bevel for wood work. The shoulder transition needs thinned out just a bit more, but it's a significant improvement

Really pleased with this pattern, it has been working really well
QKr6Ect.jpg

Back