Hate for serrated knives?

Ive had knives with serratations in the past. I find that serrated knives are not for me.

Dont care for them, dont like the look of them. A well sharpened knife works fine for me. I dont miss having serrations on knives.

As for marine enviroments, I use a non-serrated Mission titanium knife for line etc. Works dandy.

That I dont want a serrated knife, doesnt how ever mean, that I go out of my way too insult people who own serrated knives or who like serrations on knives.

Just as I think it a bit odd to badmouth people who like plain edge knives and may or may not have a blue collar job and may or may not use a knife in that job.

Personally, I dont think serrations has anything to do with whether or not you work in a cubicle or not. Serrations are just that; personal preference.

If you like serrations and if serrated knives work for you - more power to you.

I'm in the plain edge camp.

Man, am I the only one here who doesn't work inside an office cubicle or something?? "No use for serrations" huh? I think you guys need to go outside more often, lol. I work for a municipality (Public Works, Streets Division) so I do a huge variety of different tasks almost every day. I cannot tell you how many times the serrated portion of my 950 Rift or Emerson Super Commander makes my life easier each week. From cutting hose, rope, fiber paper, petromat, plastic paint cans, the list goes on and on. Sure, a plain edge only would work but not as efficient or fast as those nasty dragon's teeth.

Also, the complaints about serrations being hard to sharpen....what?? All you have to do is just sharpen the back flat side (but at a much lower angle) just like you would any plain edge. Its that simple! Reference Ben Dale (the inventor of the Edge Pro) if you don't believe me.

Anyway, I guess if you only open letters and cut the occasional loose string from your dress shirt then yeah, you don't need serrations. And actually, half my knives are plain edge. But my big workhorses gotta have the teeth. Just my experience.

...pretty much said it all for me too...i do prefer partial serrations on a knife because they do the work FAST...

sharpening blades as a hobby doesn't interest me, nor do i buy folding knives as flipping toys or for looks...if i could have bought my zaan, SMF and xm18 with partial serrations i would have.

...pretty much said it all for me too...i do prefer partial serrations on a knife because they do the work FAST...

sharpening blades as a hobby doesn't interest me, nor do i buy folding knives as flipping toys or for looks...if i could have bought my zaan, SMF and xm18 with partial serrations i would have.

So you are telling me, that you dont flip open and close a folding knife, just because you can, even when you are not about to use it?

You dont play with a knife (and occasionally cut yourself whilst doing so:D), when you sit around and shoot the breeze, read, watch TV or in front of the PC when on BF!?

What kind of person are you!!??:D:D:D

I think partially serrated falls into the spork category. Not a very good fork and not a very good spoon.

That's a really good analogy and it sums up my feelings. I really like serrated edges for some things and plain edges for others. Partially serrated blades are neither fish nor fowl.

If you ever get bailing twine wrapped around the mandrel of your mower then maybe you'll understand the value of a serrated blade!

I used to think serrations were cool and that you truly were getting the best of both worlds with a combo edge. It's not that I no longer believe these things but I instead realized that I really have no use for serrations in my edc. I rarely come across rope or material that warrant serrations in my daily carry so these days I'm all about a good, straight plain edge. Well, except for steak that is - but I'll be using a proper steak knife for that task lol:D

I used to think serrations were cool and that you truly were getting the best of both worlds with a combo edge. It's not that I no longer believe these things but I instead realized that I really have no use for serrations in my edc. I rarely come across rope or material that warrant serrations in my daily carry so these days I'm all about a good, straight plain edge. Well, except for steak that is - but I'll be using a proper steak knife for that task lol:D

That's really well for me to know about it and it is really make me the really nice deals over it.

I have some larger 60/40 knives that I EDC regularly, being a mechanic/fabricator I've had many occasions to use the serrated portion, (plastic banding straps, copper and aluminum wire, dirty rope).

The key is to have a knife big enough to benefit from a long PE with an near equal in length SE, I not a hater and can see where on the right knife, the combo does work.

I always liked serrated knives , and I don´t find them hard to sharpen , that said I also like straight edges ,
so what I do is carry one of each , "problem" solved.

1234,,,:D

Here is a good video from SoLo comparing plain & serrated edges.

[video=youtube;buGeulH2Llc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buGeulH2Llc[/video]

1234,,,:)

So you are telling me, that you dont flip open and close a folding knife, just because you can, even when you are not about to use it?

You dont play with a knife (and occasionally cut yourself whilst doing so:D), when you sit around and shoot the breeze, read, watch TV or in front of the PC when on BF!?

What kind of person are you!!??:D:D:D

:thumbup::thumbup: I laughed when I read this.

I thought a Lot of us on BF do this! I wish I had a $1 for every time done it myself. I'd be able to buy an $75-$100 knife every few months.

BTW I carry a Caly se and a big pe folder everyday.

No hate for serrations here.... About the time I joined BF, I was actively looking at and buying fixed blade knives as they were something I had little interest in to use. Many were available with partial serrated edges. Figured there must be a reason for it. So, I bought a number of fixed blade knives (mostly SOG) with partial serrated edges. I discovered that I simply didn't need the serrated edge other than in the kitchen. So in most cases, those SOG knives (Tigershark, NW Hunter or something) are never used. But I have to say that I still pick up the Tigersharks (I have three) and just sort of say to myself "what a beast!".

My first Spyderco was the Endura. In a matter of months, I bought the fully serrated version. Cool knife. I used to carry the fully serrated Endura along with my SAK daily until I decided the Endura was too large for me EDC. Went with the Delica then and really like the size of that knife. I feel sure that a fully serrated Delica would get used if I owned one.

I have a SAK with a fully serrated blade that is useful, but I don't want it as my primary blade.

So, I like both but lean toward a fully serrated edge or plain. Most of my knives purchased are plain edge even if a serrated or partially serrated version is available.

Back