Hate for serrated knives?

serrations were invented so guys that can't sharpen a blade, can cut stuff. Other than on a kitchen bread knife, I don't have any.

I prefer combo blades on my Spyderco folders, when they are available. On fixed blades, they can be quite useful, and depending how much thought a manufacturer puts in his idea of serrations can make a world of difference in their cutting advantages. That said, I believe Spyderco and ESEE have designed and implemented their versions of serrated blades to a level of near perfection.

do not like serrations on the knife there is no point in them
If I need serrations I use a saw ;)

serrations were invented so guys that can't sharpen a blade, can cut stuff. Other than on a kitchen bread knife, I don't have any.
This statement just proves that you didn't read any other posts in this entire thread.

And that you're an idiot.

I prefer plain edge blades, however I do have 2 fully serrated blades, both in H1 steel, I actually sold my plain edge of the same knife and bought the serrated version, for 2 reasons, H1 has much better edge holding in serrated edge, 2 because it will be my bait/swimming knife and serrations do cut fibrous materials better than plain edge such as rope/aquatic plants that one may get tangled in/frozen fish. That said I wouldn't buy a combo edge knife because you don't really get enough of either type of edge for it to be useful IMO.

I found that sharpening a plain edge H1 blade (Salt 2) with a coarse diamond stone and no stropping leaves a great edge that lasts a heck of a lot longer than a polished/stropped edge. I think the Vic Sentinel at least puts the partial serrations where they're the most useful (towards the point).

Some of this thread's getting ugly...

Yea... I'm outa here.
:eek:
And I'm tak'in these with me.. well sharpened: :p

Doubles_zpse1e998eb.jpg

RobBaily1_zpsbd457b8a.jpg

RobBaily2_zps1a45fa0a.jpg

Bravo1mangoedge_zpsf1641646.jpg

I personally like partially serrated knives. I usually keep my blades very sharp but its nice to know I have the serrations as a backup if im outdoors and the plain edge becomes somewhat dull.

Who is it that makes the reverse, rounded serrations? I know if I go dig through the boxes for as few hours I can find one but you guys can save me the distraction so anyone remember? ;)

They look like that but more like a reverse Spyderco serration, they were out before ZT came on to the scene. I remember they came out right after Spyderco, IIRC it was a way to beat the patented Spyderco design. When it came to cutting flesh like material the serrations on the reversed style acted more like the belly, (multiple bellies) of a skinning knife, they were extremely efficient at separating flesh, was great on steaks... this is gonna drive me nuts.

Zero Tolerance serrations?

IMG_2948.JPG

The best serrations I've seen are the Bayley knife ones, like the one on post #110. They function well and sharpen like a straight edge, or so I hear.

The best serrations I've seen are the Bayley knife ones, like the one on post #110. They function well and sharpen like a straight edge, or so I hear.

Exactly :thumbup:
If you zoom in very close on both photos of Rob Bayley's 'S4' serration design, you'll see that in addition to the deeper sharpened apex's of the serration's, there is actual continuation of the main P.E. as individual small plain edges on both sides of the blade.
These can be sharpened very easily by one smooth continued (usual) sharpening stroke along a stone (natural or diamond).

Rob Bayley's 'S4 Survival' knife was originally a plain edge version.
The knife originally had nothing to do with Bear G. other than Rob Bayley gave him one which he then used on his 'show'.
The original knife never had Bear G's name on it, until Bear G. asked Rob Bayley to make a partially serrated version for him.
In many of the early shows, you see him with the original P.E. version, then after he requested Bayely to make a partially serrated version for him.
Then as is often the case, marketing came into play by putting the Bear G. name on it (as happens with Les Stroud with his affiliation/s) and a good time ($$) was then had by all.

The original 'S4' non Bear G. knives are very hard to obtain and are not inexpensive.
Not many people are fortunate see one in person, or to handle one.

These are currently one of the most copied/counterfeited knives by the Chinese and they do an absolutely "atrocious" job at it.... the handle shape/design is a joke and the Chinese serrations are a nightmare, which all the Chinese fake/ counterfeit's do have.

http://www.bayleyknife.com/site/index.aspx

Last edited:
I simply don't like serrations because mostly, it seems to me, they are made for left handers. Meaning that, a right hander like me, holding the knife, the flat edge of serrations would be on top, which is backwards, at least to me. And, most serrated areas are too short to be of good use. I have found one knife that i feel was done right with serrations: Buck Silver Creek Bait knife. The serrations are on the top of blade & almost the full length. When knife is held with straight edge on top, & the serrations on bottom, the flat side of the serrations is on the bottom, for a right hander, where they should be. IMHO anyways.

It is comfortable to hold either way. This is a GREAT little knife.

I hate combo edges. I do like fully serrated knives like the serrated spyderco police. now that's awesome

Back