Hats & Knives

I like the stormy caps.
It's cold here so this 1 has been going on late afternoon evening, for the next few days big winds.
So it's on earlier today.
Sheepskin cap with little Bark river in ebony, don't remember which model.

U4ARbc.jpg

I think this is by far... my favorite thread in this forum. I'm confident in saying that I have more hats than knives.... but the missus has stashed probably 60+ away in my crawlspace. I have about 30-40 in the closet that are in wearing rotation. Still need me a real deal Stetson beaver felt though....

Well the store didn't have the 7x felt gus pinch in my size, so going to have to wait until they get more stock. Unfortunately they wont restock felts until fall. But I did pick up a bangora straw. Bought one with nearly an open crown to reshape myself. After a soaking I got it where I like it.
hqfgFO0.jpg

I like my palm leaf for work, because they're tough. But wanted a lighter color and weight one for just kicking around. This Twister brand seems like a good one, especially for the price. Hat and knife cost bout the same.

Well the store didn't have the 7x felt gus pinch in my size, so going to have to wait until they get more stock. Unfortunately they wont restock felts until fall. But I did pick up a bangora straw. Bought one with nearly an open crown to reshape myself. After a soaking I got it where I like it.
hqfgFO0.jpg

I like my palm leaf for work, because they're tough. But wanted a lighter color and weight one for just kicking around. This Twister brand seems like a good one, especially for the price. Hat and knife cost bout the same.
Looking good, David. :thumbsup:

I think this is by far... my favorite thread in this forum. I'm confident in saying that I have more hats than knives.... but the missus has stashed probably 60+ away in my crawlspace. I have about 30-40 in the closet that are in wearing rotation. Still need me a real deal Stetson beaver felt though....
:DSo I'm not the only who's wife thinks tooo many. I don't have that many but have a lot haven't counted.

Two Vaquero Ultralites on an Atwood:

bhME68Q.jpg

tSEuK1t.jpg

Stromy Krommer day in Ridgecrest. Its funny my wife isn't wearing hers because she's a cold weenie and I am not. It just rumbled out there again. 4.6 this time:

1lu9DkO.jpg
Dave
Is the atwood a Nevada?
I picked up a Nevada here about 20 years Ago brand new, still have it.
Nice damscus blades
Mitch

hqfgFO0.jpg

Good looking hat Partner. I'll have to break out my only straw and pose it with a knife. Stay saddled you hombres.

hqfgFO0.jpg

Good job mate.
You'll just have time to save for the felt:eek::D

hqfgFO0.jpg

Great looking hat, David. :cool: :thumbsup:

Awesome. I remember the Larry Mahan collection was all the rage back in the day. Classic Trapper too. :cool: :thumbsup:

I don’t wear a lot of cowboy hats, but “Sun Body” rang a bell. I got this palm leaf from an antique seller in Hot Springs, SD who calls herself Wicked Wanda.

The hat is not an antique. Wanda is also my source for reasonably-priced elk skin gloves. I stop in whenever I am in the Black Hills.

C4B2AB80-28B7-4F0E-8E42-93259FBD8EDD.jpeg

Last edited:
:DSo I'm not the only who's wife thinks tooo many. I don't have that many but have a lot haven't counted.

Dave
Is the atwood a Nevada?
I picked up a Nevada here about 20 years Ago brand new, still have it.
Nice damscus blades
Mitch

Yes I believe it is a Nevada model, or an Elko or something Nevadian. We just call that style a flat hat. With the brim curled up on the sides we call it a taco hat.

I've been wearing Stetsons for a long time. I bought my first one from a place called Nudie's in West Hollywood back in the mid-70's. Urban cowboy wasn't even a thing then. Nudie's was big for outfitting country western singers, movie stars, etc. That hat's long gone (my mother took it out and buried it when it got too rank for her to see me in). But there's a;ways been at least one in the closet.

I picked this one up just a month ago in Oklahoma. 5x Beaver, new in the box, $40. Sometimes it pays to hit the thrift shops. It's labeled my size, but had shrunk a little. Was pretty dusty too. Originally a Cattleman crease (which I dislike) I put it on the stretcher and got the size back where it belonged and then reblocked the crown to match one I'd seen in the Cowboy Museum in OKC.

JXp8LgT.jpg

I still don't have the brim where I want it, but it'll wait until the rains come this fall. It's going to get shaped a bit by use (like most hats do). Replaced the junky original band too. I think this horsehair one looks a lot better than the original skinny black felt from the factory.

Here's the one I was aiming at...

CP732KT.jpg

The knife is a stag handled damascus lambsfoot I got from Jack Black. Nice, but more "Sunday go to meetin" than I usually carry.

This is the hat I wear the most one it starts raining. It's an old Stetson from the "Gun Club" collection. I's looking pretty good since I sent it to Baron's and had it rebuilt a couple years ago. Reblocked, cleaned, new sweatband and liner, new hatband too. This is what everyone expects me to show up in. It's pretty soft now, and that's just fine. Never could understand why some folks want their headgear stiff and hard. To me that just shows you either don't wear it a lot, or you don't go outside in it.

Knife is a pretty little Queen Whittler I got from Waynorth a couple years ago at the Oregon show.

TAAl1Hg.jpg

Dermatologist says I have to keep the sun off my face and should wear hats year-round. I've just been using ball caps, but some of you cowboys have got me thinking about other styles, especially in the summer. ;):thumbsup::cool: Don't know if I could really pull off that look, though. And what does something like "7x" mean?

I'm probably more likely to go with a straw hat something like this to honor my dear departed paternal grandfather who always wore hats like this in the summer (but not as fancy, just plain straw hat with green visor on brim).
strawhat.greenvisor.jpeg

- GT

Don't know if I could really pull off that look, though. And what does something like "7x" mean?
It took me a while to get used to wearing my big Tilley. It should be easier nowadays, though, with more people smart enough to want to keep more sun off.
Extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra, extra large? Just a guess.

Dermatologist says I have to keep the sun off my face and should wear hats year-round. I've just been using ball caps, but some of you cowboys have got me thinking about other styles, especially in the summer. ;):thumbsup::cool: Don't know if I could really pull off that look, though. And what does something like "7x" mean?

I'm probably more likely to go with a straw hat something like this to honor my dear departed paternal grandfather who always wore hats like this in the summer (but not as fancy, just plain straw hat with green visor on brim).
View attachment 1161554

- GT

I have a felt Stetson 6X hat. The higher the X, the better quality hat--that is, the higher percentage of beaver fur. A 30X hat would cost more than a 6X, for example. But a cowboy hat may look out of place where you live. How about a Panama hat? Very cool in summer and looks great anywhere. I'm think of getting another one (had a nice one when I was younger).
upload_2019-7-14_18-24-19.jpeg

Back