Have knife retailers and distributors started dropping Benchmade knives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

not2sharp

Platinum Member
Most of you are aware of Benchmade's recent political disaster. I would like to know which retailers and distributors have started to drop their brand. I am sure that I and many others would like to support those retailers who value our civil liberties and that we would like to help some of these guys by directing our business their way.

Let's keep the political discussion out of this thread. I don't need to be convinced any further on the subject, I just think that we should help those who share our commitment towards protecting our rights.

So let's list any vendors that have chosen to act on this thread.

n2s

I don't know how politics can be kept out of a political topic, as evidenced by multiple recent threads on this topic that have been closed.

I did not check one by one but I seriously doubt any dealer would drop Benchmade just because of this incident.

There is no need to rehash the same discussion. It is enough to know that a large number of people have decided they would rather not continue to patronize Benchmade, and many of us would appreciate working with like-minded retailers.

n2s

Benchmade pretty much owns the $100-$150 price range, and that is a very relevant price point. They’re also very friendly with a lot of sporting goods stores and gun stores.

Those businesses have a better handle on what Benchmade is about than most of the people talking about them.

Remember that many of the big retailers that sell BM also do so at MSRP (Cabelas, BPS, Gander) so I doubt they’re selling to the most informed buyers to begin with.

If you don’t know that you can buy the same thing for 1/3 less online without tax I doubt they know about this story.

I saw a photo on Instagram somewhere showing a picture of a gun stores Benchmade cabinet cleared out. No other info. Wish I would have screen shotted it.

I don't think it will be common. Who knows. The whole thing is fairly stupid.

They have qc issues and high butterfly tax that's more of an issue than this fake news.

Have no idea what you're talking about in terms of a controversy. Post a link.

The major sporting goods carry the Benchmade line and I doubt that is going to change.

Remember that many of the big retailers that sell BM also do so at MSRP (Cabelas, BPS, Gander) so I doubt they’re selling to the most informed buyers to begin with.

If you don’t know that you can buy the same thing for 1/3 less online without tax I doubt they know about this story.
Which retailers sell them for MSRP? I've never seen that before. It's usually at street price wherever I go.

I think a few small dealers, ie independent gun shop will drop them...but major knife specific retailers aren’t likely to, nor will “outfitter” places like REI and Cabelas. Ultimately I don’t see this having an appreciable effect on BM finacial heath, an effect yes...but not a significant one.

I doubt many retailers are going to drop Benchmade over this. As a sort of neutral synopsis: Benchmade assisted local authorities by providing tools to destroy confiscated firearms and this inspired some to dig and find out that Benchmade donated money ($33k over 5 years) to political entities that, while supporting local manufacturing, also support an apparently poorly-designed bill related to the legality of interstate travel and knives (and thus potentially affecting similar legislation regarding guns).

That seems to be the long and short of it. I'm sure I've oversimplified it in some fashion, but that's a side-effect of me quickly losing interest while trying to figure this out.

I doubt many retailers are going to drop Benchmade over this. As a sort of neutral synopsis: Benchmade assisted local authorities by providing tools to destroy confiscated firearms and this inspired some to dig and find out that Benchmade donated money ($33k over 5 years) to political entities that, while supporting local manufacturing, also support an apparently poorly-designed bill related to the legality of interstate travel and knives (and thus potentially affecting similar legislation regarding guns).

That seems to be the long and short of it. I'm sure I've oversimplified it in some fashion, but that's a side-effect of me quickly losing interest while trying to figure this out.

i think you did a pretty good job summing it up and thats about where i stand with it as well....yawn

I'm curious about BM distribution contracts and rules. I was under the impression that the distributor had to buy inventory - meaning that all the knives that the distributor or dealer has on the shelf the shop paid for, and would need to sell in order to cover the vig. If that is true I cannot fault a distributor or dealer from keeping their inventory on the floor until sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back