Have you ever bought an inexpensive knife as an expedient?

Captain O

BANNED
I just bought a Schrade Barlow (Chinese) because a female friend had her little pocket knife pilfered by a visitor. She was thrilled with my $7.16 gift and wants to gift a similar knife to her grandson on he occasion of his eighth brithday in late April.

Have you ever purchased an inexpensive knife as an "expendable" pocket tool?

All the time!

I've used Victorinox classic's and Opinels as Giddeon's bibles of knives. I like both the knives as useful tools, but also theta they are so low priced, that when I run into someone with no knife that needs one, I can loan out my classic or Opinel, and they tell them to keep it, just give me a coin.

A low cost but decent quality knife is a great thing to gift off. Come to think about it, I've left a trail of Victorinox recruits across the country over the past 10 years of so.

I love inexpensive and expendable knives! :thumbup:

Good thing you did there!

Yep, ive given away a few knives. I dont collect, all my knives are users so if i notice it doesnt get used, cheap or expensive, ill usually just give em away

Three Cold Steel Elands. One to modify for fun, another to modify and give to a friend, and the last to keep original and use for farm chores and fishing. About $15.00 including shipping. I have one in my pocket right now.

Happy New Year!

Zieg

IMG_20161231_235017.jpg

Last edited:
I have made impromptu gifts of Opinels, Rough Riders, Recruits and Case peanuts to people I thought needed a knife. Opinels, Micras, Moras and CS Okapis have been bulk purchases for stocking stuffers. I don't think of any of those as expendable necessarily. They are all knives I use myself. I still cry if I lose one, but not long or hard.

I did once - bought a an inexpensive Sheffield Steel medium stockman from the tool area of an orange big box store. I use it to replace all of the knives in my pockets a week or so before an airline flight, in case I forget on travel day to put my pocket knife away before heading to the airport. Ironically, it's now one of my favorite pocket knives! :D

I buy inexpensive knives to use and carry daily. My two EDCs are inexpensive. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean crap.

I bought the opinels for a GAW I hosted

mXXDdN8.jpg

These Rough Riders were purchased to give to a local Scout group.

4wxxwoZ.jpg

Shoot yeah! One of my favorite knives ever was a $10 Sheffield! That thing was solid metal including the scales so I could use it for a hammer, nice big blade that through probably 5 yrs on the ranch with hard use never went dull.

Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually keep something made in China for a "beach knife." I'm not about to stick a nice knife in my swim trunks, but I'd hate to be without one. So, I buy one, carry it, and give it a bath in WD-40 every day. If it turns into a solid block of rust by the end of the week, or I accidentally send it to Davy Jones' locker, I've only lost $10-$12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course I buy inexpensive knives because they are somewhat expendable. The truth of the matter is that I have been leaning more and more toward inexpensive knives to use. But there is "inexpensive" and there is "junk". If I buy what I consider to be an expensive knife today, it is just because I wanted it.

I just bought a Schrade Barlow (Chinese) because a female friend had her little pocket knife pilfered by a visitor. She was thrilled with my $7.16 gift and wants to gift a similar knife to her grandson on he occasion of his eighth brithday in late April.

Have you ever purchased an inexpensive knife as an "expendable" pocket tool?

Absolutely. I bought a few Opinels' that I gave to guys that were working on my house. And one to my neighbor who keeps an eye on things for me when I am gone.

Always appreciated and I get a chance to explain the history.

I actually like giving away the Opi's. They are inexpensive but not cheap IMO.

Lot's of imported Rough Riders, Marbles, etc., but many American made Bucks, Queens and GECs as well.
I've never given a knife as a gift that was unappreciated!

I use a $10 Chinese knife for gardening. Great for digging up weeds, roots, and such with careless abandon. :) I just hose it down and spray it with WD-40. If I lose it, oh well. But, as many have said, inexpensive is a subjective term. To me, anything under $100 is inexpensive.

I've probably given away 10-15 Buck 303's in the last 20 years or so. Most to one neighbor kid or another that was " working" around my house or yard but several to guys/gals at work. It's always the same deal someone needs a knife so I let them use mine and tell them to hang on to it. It's always a great excuse to go buy a new pocket knife and the gesture is always appreciated especially by the youngers.

Clay

Tons, back then before I knew what quality was, I had a whole bunch of cheap slipjoints. However nowadays, even rough riders stepped up their quality control and come very sharp. No stranger to the pakistan, or frost cutlery. Last time I bought something cheap was this "stag" or bone handled thing on ebay and theres blade rap. But it looked fun at the time and just wanted a fix :D still have it. its my desk knife and helps cut wax for ring projects.

I keep a few less expensive knives around for times I'm worried about possibly losing one, travel (I've had to surrender a knife at the airport I SWEAR I put in my check on bag but somehow stayed in my carry on), harder use than I can bring myself to use my better knives for, sharpening practice, and gifting.

Looking for GEC 15 Huckleberry Boys knife single clip blade.

Also fun to gift to newer members in GAWs! from rough riders, marbles, even case is fair game

I used to buy these 1$ key chain knives all the time and just give them away to people who needed a knife. I was just a kid so my older brother had to go with me as he was 18, but these knives were sharp enough and didn't go unappreciated to people who needed a cutting tool.

Back