Have you ever bought an inexpensive knife as an expedient?

There have been a couple of times when I flew with just a carry-on bag and picked up a SAK at my destination. They are relatively inexpensive, especially when you consider the consistently high quality and performance.

The last time I was in a big hurry to go fishing, I left my usual knife in my other jeans. On the way to the lake, I stopped by and picked up a little Taylor Old Timer Minuteman knife. It worked fine for fishing and then cleaning some small rainbows and I still use it on the ranch. Fit and finish, not so great. However, it works real well for twine, insulation of various types and cuts clean through a slice of bacon :). It doesn't hold the greatest edge, so I do get some well needed practice sharpening. Maybe one day I can sharpen something better than "Sharp enough for this job!". The hair remains on my arm and the pages of the phone books at our place are completely safe.

Last edited:
Yes I do and I give them away but I keeping several RR Barlows and my Honk Falls Stockmans I got this fall.

I have bought Buck and Kershaw and Vics' lower priced knives when traveling and left them with my hosts' or brought back in luggage...a recent Kershaw "1605 speedsafe" is tops for my pocket at work...under $25 but no blade wobble or edge loss...sharpens easy.... quite pointy... stays sharp long time ...life is good

Old aphorism: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
In like manner,
When in Traditional, only post about traditional knives.

Assisted open is very far away from Traditional.

Three Cold Steel Elands. One to modify for fun, another to modify and give to a friend, and the last to keep original and use for farm chores and fishing. About $15.00 including shipping. I have one in my pocket right now.

Happy New Year!

Zieg

IMG_20161231_235017.jpg

I've gifted Classics, Opinels and some traditional Pallares. I got one of those "cheap" CS as a gift this December, the Kudu, and now carry it everywhere! Really amazed by it, I now use it more than most of my other knives and definitely more than any of my December's gifts and purchases (some of those blades being 10x the price)

20161222_134556_zpsdjtjvtdx.jpg

so thin and lightweight, I think it'll replace my opinel for a while. Wicked fruit slayer! :D

20161222_134612_zps4axntz6p.jpg

Of course Peacent has the Kudu! You're the Cold Steel King as far as I'm concerned, P! I'm surprised you didn't go for the Eland, though, as you tend to rock the longer blades. I'm not as thrilled as some with the steel in these two folders (i.e., Kudu and Eland), but I can get a slightly toothy edge with a small diamond plate I keep in my pocket for the job. It'll shave arm hair.

Do cuchillerías in Spain still stock large traditional navajas in the ratchet lock style? At reasonable prices, that is, in keeping with this thread.

Zieg

Last edited:
I have a stash of SAK's on hand for that very reason. If I see them on sale I will pick up a bunch. Make great gifts or as you called them, expendables

Back