Have you ever seen anything creepy? V2

It's odd to me how most people describe sleep paralysis as being scary. I've only had it once, but it wasn't that bad. Big tall guy in black knight armor standing at the edge of my bed, then he turned his head really slow and I heard a churning sound, then he just kinda faded out.

Sleep paralysis. It's commonly caused by waking rapidly from REM sleep, during which your muscles are weakened by the body to prevent you from acting out your dreams. During sleep paralysis one will usually experience extremely powerful hallucinations (often of a bedroom intruder) and/or strange physical phenomena, accompanied by a severe feeling of terror and the sense of a "malevolent force" in the room.

john-henry-fuseli-the-nightmare1.jpg

It really is a terrifying experience. About 50% of people will experience sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime. I've experienced it two or three times, and it hasn't gotten any better.

Again, sleep paralysis is most likely caused by rapid awakening from REM sleep, not by the "spirit world."

Well, I already mentioned in post #13 that I'd also experienced normal sleep paralysis before and after my experience on the mountain. Plus, my then-girlfriend experienced the *exact* same thing, and her back was to me. Did we have the same dream at the same time? Not likely. Like I said, maybe you had to be there; you would know the difference.

A few years later (also in Taiwan), while fully awake and standing on a street talking to a British friend of mine, we both had a very creepy experience at the same time, not too dissimilar to the experience I posted above, just not lasting as long. I think I posted that incident in another thread. No REM there. Also, my friend later told me he felt that 'something' followed him back to his place for a while after our experience. He wasn't given to flights of fancy. We never spoke about that experience again.

I never found normal sleep paralysis to be terrifying, just mildly annoying. And I eventually learned how to come out of it fairly easily (I mentioned that as well). I haven't had another episode of sleep paralysis for over 20 years now.

Anyway, let's hear more of others' creepy outdoor (or indoor) experiences.

Jim

Last edited:
Nothing special. But I was metal detecting about a month ago and walked under a raised train bridge to take a leak. What I found was exactly half a racoon, the front half. He got sliced cleanly in two and dropped about 50 feet down, kinda freaky......I also remember many years ago out rabbit hunting on a frigid winter day. I was walking along some train tracks and I saw frozen blood spray shooting along the rail. Then there were bits of hair and more blood. Finally I walked up to the remains of a German Shepard that got nailed by the train.

Last edited:
2 buddies and I went on a 20 mile hike several years back. It was in the middle of a large national forest in Texas. There are reports of bears there but I have never seen the remnants of any large animals. One of the traditions we keep is to watch the sky and look for satellites. Coming from a big city, they can't be seen until we head out to the woods.

One night, we were laying in the middle of a dry pond bottom near camp (about 100 yards) looking to the stars when we heard rustling in the bushes. It was at a distance, but sounded loud enough that I kept focus on it as I tried my best to lose myself in the brilliance of the night sky. THRASH--THRASH !! Woah, it was close now, and at ALL sides of this little pond bottom.

Whatever it was, it was surrounding us...so it seems.

We hopped up and grabbed our flashlights from our pockets--figured out real quick we were under prepared with flashlights. They were something like wallyworld specials. Could not see more than 10 feet. We grabbed our knives just to realize they were still at camp with the exception of some small pocket knives. We were terrified! What was stalking us??

We started sprinting so that we stayed back to back. Had to look comical if you could see it, but we were running for our lives. We made it to camp and ripped into our tents (as if the ever so thin tent fabric was a solid barrier from meeting our maker). They chased us all the way back. Turns out they were curious hogs. They stayed near the camp for a long while rooting up about 30 yards away.

Strangely enough a storm blew in and the thunder relaxed me. I never slept better in a tent than I did that night !!

Last edited:
Coyotes made their presence in my neighborhood this last Summer with a large (German Sheppard) sized male that is spotted frequently in the daytime walking a hunting circuit through my back yard and woods. I have heard them yipping at night but a week ago at 2 am, three or four started loudly howling and shrieking right outside my back room, answering another group in the distance. I jumped out of bed with my heart pounding away. keep in mind this is in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, I didn't sleep for the next two hours, Surefire in hand listening to them run through the leaf litter...creepy, hell yes.

Coyotes made their presence in my neighborhood this last Summer with a large (German Sheppard) sized male that is spotted frequently in the daytime walking a hunting circuit through my back yard and woods. I have heard them yipping at night but a week ago at 2 am, three or four started loudly howling and shrieking right outside my back room, answering another group in the distance. I jumped out of bed with my heart pounding away. keep in mind this is in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, I didn't sleep for the next two hours, Surefire in hand listening to them run through the leaf litter...creepy, hell yes.

If you have any small pets keep them close at hand. My family runs a sheep farm and the neighbors always have cats going missing and we lose nearly full grown lambs to them every year. Not sure if there is any way since you're in the suburbs, but 'get rid' of them if you can.

If you have any small pets keep them close at hand. My family runs a sheep farm and the neighbors always have cats going missing and we lose nearly full grown lambs to them every year. Not sure if there is any way since you're in the suburbs, but 'get rid' of them if you can.

Good advice, no pets here though. I can't really do anything to get rid of them as I can't fire a weapon inside the local township. If something crazy happened I do have my 870P and buckshot.

Good advice, no pets here though. I can't really do anything to get rid of them as I can't fire a weapon inside the local township. If something crazy happened I do have my 870P and buckshot.

Trap them. Make sure you follow your state's regulations.

A few years ago was deer hunting behind the house. Heading home at dusk and get the feeling somethings watching me. Stop and look around, nothing on the ground, but being watched by an owl about 50 yards away up in a tree. We watched each other for a minute or so and he jumped off the branch spread his wings and buzzed about 2 feet over my head. I was watching him the entire way in awe, but the amazing part was even at 2 feet above my head I didn't hear a sound. I see an owl while I'm hunting about every other year, but haven't been buzzed since ( that I'm aware of).

Mike

Some years back, probably in the late 90s, I was walking on a beautiful day near La Jolla Cove, and a seagull that was standing on a streetlight post (or a telephone pole??) across the street flew down and buzzed me maybe 3 feet or less over my head. It flew out over the ocean (which was down below a cliff), circled around, and buzzed me again. Then it flew over the street, circled again and repeated the same process at least another 3 or 4 times. I could feel and hear the swoosh as it buzzed right over my head.

The weird thing was that there were a lot of people out and about, walking, beachgoing, jogging, etc., but that seagull singled me out and nobody else, and I wasn't doing anything unusual or walking anywhere off the sidewalk. It was a bit disconcerting, because if it were to actually crash into me, by mistake or otherwise, it was big enough to have done some serious damage. But mostly I felt a little pissed off. It's kind of embarrassing to say now, but at the time I wished I could have done something to that gull, but it would have been illegal, immoral, and anyway, there were too many people around. I didn't see it do the same thing to anybody else. Last I saw of it, it went back to its original spot. I guess there was something about me that bird didn't like, and it 'had it in for me', lol.

Jim

Last edited:
I posted this in v1 of the creepy thread.

My wife and I were camping at a state park on the coast and I woke up to voices in the middle of the night. They were talking real quiet and moving towards our camp. I made some noise and they seemed to stop talking but I could hear them move on down the trail (which ended near our site). I couldn't shake that there was something off about it all and couldn't get back to sleep. We got up, packed up and drove home.

I've never done that before or since, and as loony as it sounds, I don't regret it. Something was just "off" about it all.

I don't think I posted this here, though I have posted it somewhere else before.

One time while hunting I heard something in the woods. I was walking down a power line just along the edge of the treeline. Just inside the treeline I could hear something moving. Each time I took a step, it took a step. It wasn't the soft padding sound of a bit cat or the lumbering sound of a bear, it was a constant sound more like we humans make, but it was trying to be quiet. I stopped, it stopped. I took a step, it took a step. Freaky. So I levered a round in my 30-30 and yelled out "who's there!!!". Nothing. I waited a minute and then kept on towards the stand. I didn't hear another sound the whole way. I was never so happy to get up in my stand and see the sun come up. Wow.

We never did figure out what it was. The land owner said it was probably a poacher. Good thing I didn't shoot!

Last edited:

A year or two ago my wife and I were having a little lake fire at night, in the fall. We heard a few yodel dogs and we yipped back at them for a joke. You usually get a few responses, then the get bored or just leave. This time I did a long hawooooooo and the buggers popped up way too close and howled back. It creeped us out in the pitch black, as we were a little ways from the fire. We have never had them come so close. They came up over a nearby hill. I would like to say that I laughed and walked over to give them a head noogie and fur rub. But it spooked us and we scrambled back to the fire and stoked it, lol. In actuality, they would never touch us unless whacked in the head from mange or rabies etc. I also remember feeling that my little pocket folder , Mora, or whatever, just didn't give much comfort.

A year or two ago my wife and I were having a little lake fire at night, in the fall. We heard a few yodel dogs and we yipped back at them for a joke. You usually get a few responses, then the get bored or just leave. This time I did a long hawooooooo and the buggers popped up way too close and howled back. It creeped us out in the pitch black, as we were a little ways from the fire. We have never had them come so close. They came up over a nearby hill. I would like to say that I laughed and walked over to give them a head noogie and fur rub. But it spooked us and we scrambled back to the fire and stoked it, lol. In actuality, they would never touch us unless whacked in the head from mange or rabies etc. I also remember feeling that my little pocket folder , Mora, or whatever, just didn't give much comfort.

If you guys have the hybrid coyote/wolf like a lot of northern provinces and states do I wouldn't be too sure they'd leave you be unless they had the mange/rabies.

Thankfully the ones that have moved in to our area (South Carolina) are the full-blooded coyotes so they aren't overly aggressive. Good thing because we are eat up with them where I hunt. They sort of move about though. Last year we had them all over and knew roughly where their den was. This year the foxes seem to be back and I see less coyote sign. I hear they have a big range too.

If you guys have the hybrid coyote/wolf like a lot of northern provinces and states do I wouldn't be too sure they'd leave you be unless they had the mange/rabies.

Thankfully the ones that have moved in to our area (South Carolina) are the full-blooded coyotes so they aren't overly aggressive. Good thing because we are eat up with them where I hunt. They sort of move about though. Last year we had them all over and knew roughly where their den was. This year the foxes seem to be back and I see less coyote sign. I hear they have a big range too.
We have those. They're getting noticeably bolder.

Here in Western Pennsylvania I believe all if not most are of the hybrid variety, I'm not a biologist though. As I stated earlier the one I have seen is quite large. I lived in Washington State and saw Yote's all the time at night...not so big. I read somewhere that they started migrating down here from the great Lakes region around the 1930's and the population increased in the last 25 years. I'd love to capture a pic.

If what I've heard is correct, most of the coyotes on the East coast are hyrbrids either with dogs or wolves, and a lot of times both.

The coyotes we have are the wolf/coyote hybrid that established itself with the extermination of the wolves in the northeast US a long time ago. Also, some were released for hound running in the upstate by hunters back in the 70's. I'm not sure what sub-species those were, probably one native to the more Western states or Texas. If so, I'm sure some cross-breeding has occurred so it's hard to say exactly what we have now, though I think they're fairly normalized at this point.

Very little cross-breeding with domestic dogs occur because their cycles run differently throughout the year.

I think they've settled in for the long haul across the entire country at this point. It's our fault though. We killed off almost all of the keystone predators and they've just been able to fill back in over time. Now farmers who keep livestock are facing the same problems their forefathers did back in the days of the wolves and big cats.

The coyotes we have are the wolf/coyote hybrid that established itself with the extermination of the wolves in the northeast US a long time ago. Also, some were released for hound running in the upstate by hunters back in the 70's. I'm not sure what sub-species those were, probably one native to the more Western states or Texas. If so, I'm sure some cross-breeding has occurred so it's hard to say exactly what we have now, though I think they're fairly normalized at this point.

Very little cross-breeding with domestic dogs occur because their cycles run differently throughout the year.

I think they've settled in for the long haul across the entire country at this point. It's our fault though. We killed off almost all of the keystone predators and they've just been able to fill back in over time. Now farmers who keep livestock are facing the same problems their forefathers did back in the days of the wolves and big cats.

We've killed a few coydogs on the farm (a federal trapper confirmed a couple of them as coydogs), typically their muzzles are shorter/wider and their ears are a bit more rounded on top. They're somewhat more common than usual here though I think.

Another source of wolves came from North Carolina, some Red Wolves were released there by the government to try to reintroduce them, but they mostly just went and bred with coyotes. Last I heard there were only 2 full blooded Red Wolves in NC, but I might be wrong on that.

Floating the Porcupine River about ten years ago we heard a pack of wolves kill a moose calf on an island in the river. I will never forget the sounds. After the kill it seems as though there was a celibration. The noise grew as newcomers joined in. It was very disconcerting at the time and we did not get much sleep. Looking back it was music of the wilderness.

This isn't my story, it was told to me by a couple of mates.

A few years ago my mate and his mate (I'll call them Joe and Matt) where walking the West Highland Way. This is a long distance 96mile walk in Western Scotland running from Milngavie to Fort William.
They'd chosen to walk it in November to avoid the midgies and because both of them like winter walking. Unfortunately even in November the Scottish weather can be very wintery and it had been atrocious all day, or as the Scots say 'blowin' a hoolie'. They'd been aiming to reach the village of Kinlochleven but the weather was that bad and with failing light they decided to camp in 'The Lost Valley'. This is a hidden valley above Glen Coe proper and was once controlled by the Macdonalds of Glen Coe. It was used by the clan to secrete rustled cattle or as a hideout in times of inter-clan strife.

So this is where Joe and Matt found themselves. They got their 2 man tent up, into dry clothes have a meal and settle down. It was going to be rough night but there both experienced alpinists used to expedition and high altitude camping.

Just after midnight Joe gets shaken awake by Matt. Matt has been unable to get to sleep. The storm is still raging outside but every now and then the wind dies down and when it does Matt can hear someone playing the bagpipes. Now they've not passed anyone all day, not even when they crossed the nearby A82 road and made the climb up the 'Devils Staircase' and over into the 'Lost Valley'. Joe tells Matt there can't be anyone else out in the storm, especially not playing the pipes, to go to sleep and he goes back to sleep himself.

Not long after Joe gets woken up again. This time Matt is certain that someone, close by, is playing the bagpies. Joe listens and listens and listens and then above the storm, he hears it to. The unmistakeable sound of the highland pipes. And according to Matt there getting closer. They both look at each other. What crazy idiot is out there walking around the Lost Valley in a Force 10 storm of sleet and snow playing the pipes??

But then they start to hear other sounds. First they hear men shouting, and then they hear AND FEEL horses run right past their tent, followed by lots of running and shouting. They hear and feel big groups run past and Joe described the sound as exactly the sound you'd hear at a civil war re-enactment; men carrying swords, pikes and heavy equipment. Lots more shouting, then clash of steel and screams. Joe actually unzipped the tent a fraction and peeked out, but it was black as pitch, no lights no torches nothing. The storm was still raging but so was this battle. He wanted to shine his flashlight out but Matt threatened to punch him.

So there they sat for the next few hours listening to the storm and the battle. The storm gradually died down leaving the sounds of battle quite distinct but as sunrise approached the sounds of battle gradually died out, and then stopped abruptly on the dot with actual sunrise. They finished packed up their kit and left without even having breakfast.

Anyone with a knowledge of Scottish history will know that around Glen Coe was where the infamous 'Massacre of Glen Coe' occurred in February 1692. Troops under the command of the Earl of Argyle had billeted his troops with the Glen Coe Macdonald clan. Then on orders received the troops turned on their hosts and massacred 78 clansmen, both directly or after by exposure after their homes were fired. However neither Matt or Joe remembered hearing any musket fire so whatever they were listening to probably didn't have anything to do with that??

They told me this story over a pint in a pub and the pair of them genuinely went as white as sheet as they were telling it.

Back