Have you ever seen anything creepy? V2

One night in camp I went out to take a shower. The shower was nearly open-air with a wooden semi-partition, about four feet square, and the only light was a kerosene hurricane lamp that I took with me. Started the water, stepped in, and suddenly...

There was a loud shriek, something was in the shower with me! A large roosting owl had 'fallen' from the rafters and was flopping around on the shower floor.
Scared the hell out of me.

The shriek may have not been from the bird. :eek:

I'm an avid kayak fisherman and camper. A couple summers ago when I was still in high school, I went on a two day fishing trip down a river in the Piedmont region of Georgia. We paddled up to what looked like a dilapidated boat slip and thought it a good spot to stop and explore. We walked up the cracked concrete slab to a trail in the woods. After about five minutes of walking, we came across a shed like one you can buy at Lowe's of Home Depot. Something you would keep a lawn mower or tools in. A window AC unit was fixed into one of the walls and the windows were painted black. Outside there were a bunch of empty containers and bottles. I got a bad feeling about the place just walking up to it. We didn't go inside or stick around for long. I really think I walked up on someone's meth operation. The trash, painted windows, and jerry-rigged AC unit all seemed out of place for a small hunting outpost or something similar. Needless to say we ran back to our kayaks and paddled hard for about a mile before we worried about fishing again.

One night in camp I went out to take a shower. The shower was nearly open-air with a wooden semi-partition, about four feet square, and the only light was a kerosene hurricane lamp that I took with me. Started the water, stepped in, and suddenly...

There was a loud shriek, something was in the shower with me! A large roosting owl had 'fallen' from the rafters and was flopping around on the shower floor.
Scared the hell out of me.

The shriek may have not been from the bird. :eek:

Good thing you were already in shower to wash away any errant ejected matter. ;)

That is truly scary!!!!!!!'[emoji83][emoji381][emoji381] You should report it,I think.Glad you got out of there!

I was in a tree stand hunting woods that that bordered a tree nursery. I was in the stand for an afternoon hunt. It was a beautiful fall day and I had a few hours until dusk. I had my Robertson Stykbow Peregrine Falcon hanging on a bow hanger.
I folded my seat down and kept my eye on two bisecting deer trails. There was very little wind that day. I had about an hour to hunt when I felt a strong push from behind. It lifted me out of my seat and if it weren't for my safety belt, I would've been
pushed clear out of my tree stand. My buddy who owned the nursery said he never hunted those woods. I think I know why. The following day I took my stand down and never went in those woods again.

I wouldn't exactly say I was in the wilderness, but I was biking a while back near a swamp, the swamp stretches about 4 miles, and there's a road that runs the length of the outside of the swamp, across the road to the left there's some open fields and an abandoned school, and there's some houses. I was biking rather late at night, around 11, don't remember why I was out that late. This road was very dark, I could not see beyond my headlamp and my two lights mounted on my handlebars. up ahead, there was a lone streetlight. It was a bit foggy, and it was drizzling so the light from the street light made a literal yellow cone that ejected from the light and then down onto the ground. I looked up from the bike computer to see a man, standing underneath the streetlight. He wasn't moving, just standing there. I felt a nervous wave splash over me. I've always been in tune with the world around me and I get a very eerie, uncomfortable feeling when some one is looking at me. I dont have to see them, but I know that there's someone looking at me. I can always feel a wave of dread filling my chest as the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, almost as if someone was dragging the edge of a knife across your skin, how it tingles . The feeling didn't subside as I biked closer and closer to this man. I could feel his eyes staring at me. I quickened my pace. There was nothing around but an empty field and a vast swamp. The feeling didn't subside as finally passed the man, from the other side of the street. I kept pedaling. The hairs on the back of my neck prickled as my chest felt heavy with dread. I kept pedaling at a quickened pace. I looked back to see the man had turned around, watching me, as I went out of sight. Needless to say, I stopped biking late at night and I stopped biking in that area.

We've killed a few coydogs on the farm (a federal trapper confirmed a couple of them as coydogs), typically their muzzles are shorter/wider and their ears are a bit more rounded on top. They're somewhat more common than usual here though I think.

Another source of wolves came from North Carolina, some Red Wolves were released there by the government to try to reintroduce them, but they mostly just went and bred with coyotes. Last I heard there were only 2 full blooded Red Wolves in NC, but I might be wrong on that.

My sister actually works at the Museum of Life and Science that has a Red Wolf breeding pair. Pretty rare animals, only about 50 in the wild (estimated, I'm told the "real" number is well under that) and under 200 in captivity for the whole nation, most of them are fairly scrawny compared to their ancestors as well. They actually insert captive bread pups into wild litters to help get the healthy population up.

I was up at Greylock this past weekend and found some tracks for what looked like a feral dog pack, one of the animals was leaving tracks nearly as big as my cousin's Newfie. Wish I had some pics but the cold sapped the batteries on everything by then.

Never had anything too creepy happen that wasn't physically explainable, some creepy feeling woods a few times though. I do remember the first time I heard possums fighting right outside the tent, that freaked me out something fierce. The wind up on Mt Washington makes such a variety of sounds doing through the trees I usually have to sleep with ear plugs in up there half for the sound level and half for the mind games.

I was once sitting in a tee stand on a bitterly
Cold November day deer hunting. Heard a funny crunching behind me and watched a female fisher go directly under me
And carry on.

About 15 minutes later I heard the same funny crunching and a male fisher is following the female track.

He stopped directly under the stand and I couldn't see him. Next thing I knew I heard critch critch and this big male
Fisher is looking at me from 1.5 feet away.

Scared the bejebus out of me. Couldn't decide if a should vacate (jump) or shoot.

Thankfully he also seemed rather surprised and ex filled post haste.

If a deer had walked out in the next 10 minutes he would have been very safe as I worked to clear a full adrenaline dump lol

Few stories for y'all. Camping in a public camp ground with camp spots and hiking trails and such. I went hiking. Was whittling a stick dropped knife wandered off the trail and saw a rose bush. Interesting part was the base of it was growing through the eye socket of a skull. And an old rotted noose at the base of the skull. Never told anybody where it was didn't want it disturbed or messed up.

Story two out hiking behind house I live in suburbs but on side of a small hill in a neighborhood and hike sometimes and felt like I was being followed so I held my hand on my sheathed mora. Turn around nothing. Turn around nothing. Turn around again turn back and there's an x drawn on the path that I didn't remember seeing. I went home.

Walking with my wife on a lovely fall Sunday afternoon in a nature preserve called Devil's Den. A nice open oak and Mt. Laurel area with some tree fall but mostly a pleasant and easy walk with visibility through the trees and sections of old rock walls with water views to our left. At one point we saw up ahead, 30 yards or so, what appeared to be pieces of an old foundation surrounded with some barberry and other shrubbery. Just the kind of old building sight you see often in these type of land trust properties.

My wife says - "what's that" referring to the foundation form. I replied without thinking - "It's a symbol of an ancient God". As we kept approaching the fallen structure I looked down and saw a discarded ball cap. Good shape and appeared to be a keeper when I saw on the front the words MT. KATAHDIN :cool: a Mt. in my home state of Maine that I have climbed and camped around many times.

Then - I turned the hat around and saw embroidered on the back the words -

"A symbol of an ancient God" :eek:

I put the hat down and we continued our walk. Damn - I've wished many times that I had brought it home but at the time that seemed like a decidedly bad idea.

I was hoping for more of these tales of the Out There.

Any BigFoot sightings :confused: :eek: :D?

We, the wife and I, live at the base of Longs Peak on the boundary of Roosevelt National Forest and Rocky Mountain National Park. There's a little cluster of houses up here at the end of the dirt road and the Mailbox tree is about 3 miles down a ways on the road towards Pinewood Springs. At the end of our road not too far up is the Forest Service Fire Tower. A Ranger Station and our closest Law Officer. There's a few deserted mining towns and two ghost town ruins all within about 10 mile radius of our place. Hikers and Day Trippers are all over the place in the summer. I've had to kindly but firmly remove a few rock climbers of our cliff shelf every season for the last 50 years and my grandfather's great chore before then. I've had a stray .30-.30 come through the kitchen window once and imbed itself into the wall.
There's elk, Mule deer, and Cougar all around us. Racoon rule the known world and I've got a barn owl with a six foot wing span and a very territorial attitude. And there's usually two or three mules stabled in the barn.
But our greatest inhabitant issue is a couple of, what you might call Bush Vets, who show up on the back twenty from time to time. These are older gentlemen, kinda stuck in the past, still in Viet Nam in their minds, still soldiers, who come up and camp along the southern shelf break line along the mountain. I guess the woods makes them feel more at ease. They've got a two acre parcel of DLM space that they procured permission to hunt on. It's about 4 miles or so up the mountainside another 500 feet up in elevation, from our place. According to Fed law, they can't build a structure on it but somehow they got an old school bus up there and a single axle camper. Theyre always around there during the spring thaw all through til autumn. There's no power or water but the road is clear and with a little effort you can lug the jug and there have been some enterprising folks who will climb a light pole and "tap in". A street light on a dirt road. Ahh, Colorado. Gotta love it.
So this brings us to our story. Our nearest neighbors are two nurses on the west of us and the next house is about a half mile away, then the trees. It's about 10 at night and theres a gun shot outside coming from behind the house. Our yard carries on for about 600 yards then the trees close in. Go back another 400 yards and it's the Natl Forest boundary.
There's been occasion when hunters have come up fairly close but never at night. Shot one, then snother, then after a few minutes three, one right after the next, all coming from the back yard. My son was visiting so, he , I, and my wife all got up to see and as we headed through the house to check there came a huge thud on the back door then another followed by obvious moaning and wailing.
The house is from the days before the Natl Forest, about 130 years old, and we have Predators al Domain Laws here that our land can be protected from intruders both two legged and four legged. I keep an H&R .45-70 in the back clapboard. And I opened the door rifle in hand to
find one of those old army fellows laying across the back porch deck sprawled out with an AR15 in his hands. He was babbling incoherently staring up into space. But the awful part was the blood. Blood was all over our porch speckled red over the stairs coming up to the porch and his back was torn all too pieces. It looked like several African lions had ripped into him. His shirt and jacket, both BDU camo had been ripped to shreds and his skin and muscle tissue as well. He was clwed worse than anything I have ever seen before. Maria called 911 immediately and an ambulance and Ranger came up from Estes Park. In the meanwhile we got him wrapped up and in the house. Set him onto the kitchen floor and elevated his feet. Maria and Buddy got the trauma kit out and started bandaging his shredded back and I went out into the back floodlights illuminating the yard. I followed the bloodtrail, his bloodtrail, all the way to the boundary. Something, by the looks of the torn branches and bramble, had chased him through the woods all the way up to our backdoor.
When the Ranger and the ambulance arrived, they got him stabalized and transported him down into Pinewood where he was airlifted to Longmont St Luke's Presbyterian hospital. The whole time all he kept mumbling out was "Wrong Wrong."
The Ranger, my Son and I walked all of our property line trying to make heads or tails out of the swath of broken limbs he had run through. Too big for Puma or Black Bear and there' hasn't been a Grizzly up here in a mellinium. Even still this swath was too big for one anyways.
All decided we'd look more in the daylight. The Ranger took a statement from everyone and left. We battened down the barn, and the house, stoked up the hearth and settled in to an uneasy restless night.
The next morning, I and my Son went out into the back and all the broken branches, the blood splatters, the ripped down limbs, were all completely gone. Like it never even happened. My back porch was clear. No mess. No nothing. We just looked at each other. Now I knew something strange something unexplained was going on.
County Game Fish and Wildlife agent showed up with the Ranger about 10 am and we all went back into the rear boundaries looking searching. But no trace of anything was there. The Ranger gave us a perplexed expression and shook his head. The torn up bush vet fellow got patched up at the hospital but was too unstable to give any statement. Lost alot of blood and was in for some serious skin reconstruction .
All the Ranger said was he must of made something mad and it tried to take him. The county man wrote down Bear Attack.
But me, I'm not so sure.
I've seen dancing lights on the hillside. I've heard screams and wails from the trees. But nothing has ever chased anyone out of the woods or damm near ripped them to shreds before. I never saw the bush vet again or his partner. After a year or so the Forest Service went into the deep and hauled out the School bus and the Camper. All kinda settled back to normal. But once in awhile we'll be in the back yard or coming to or from the barn and you just sorta feel someone or someone is watching, ....waiting.... licking it lips.

Last edited:
yikes!! wild story

Well, you may have a, a, hell I don't know what!
but that looks like heaven as a place to live!

We, the wife and I, live at the base of Longs Peak on the boundary of Roosevelt National Forest and Rocky Mountain National Park. There's a little cluster of houses up here at the end of the dirt road and the Mailbox tree is about 3 miles down a ways on the road towards Pinewood Springs. At the end of our road not too far up is the Forest Service Fire Tower. A Ranger Station and our closest Law Officer. There's a few deserted mining towns and two ghost town ruins all within about 10 mile radius of our place. Hikers and Day Trippers are all over the place in the summer. I've had to kindly but firmly remove a few rock climbers of our cliff shelf every season for the last 50 years and my grandfather's great chore before then. I've had a stray .30-.30 come through the kitchen window once and imbed itself into the wall.
There's elk, Mule deer, and Cougar all around us. Racoon rule the known world and I've got a barn owl with a six foot wing span and a very territorial attitude. And there's usually two or three mules stabled in the barn.
But our greatest inhabitant issue is a couple of, what you might call Bush Vets, who show up on the back twenty from time to time. These are older gentlemen, kinda stuck in the past, still in Viet Nam in their minds, still soldiers, who come up and camp along the southern shelf break line along the mountain. I guess the woods makes them feel more at ease. They've got a two acre parcel of DLM space that they procured permission to hunt on. It's about 4 miles or so up the mountainside another 500 feet up in elevation, from our place. According to Fed law, they can't build a structure on it but somehow they got an old school bus up there and a single axle camper. Theyre always around there during the spring thaw all through til autumn. There's no power or water but the road is clear and with a little effort you can lug the jug and there have been some enterprising folks who will climb a light pole and "tap in". A street light on a dirt road. Ahh, Colorado. Gotta love it.
So this brings us to our story. Our nearest neighbors are two nurses on the west of us and the next house is about a half mile away, then the trees. It's about 10 at night and theres a gun shot outside coming from behind the house. Our yard carries on for about 600 yards then the trees close in. Go back another 400 yards and it's the Natl Forest boundary.
There's been occasion when hunters have come up fairly close but never at night. Shot one, then snother, then after a few minutes three, one right after the next, all coming from the back yard. My son was visiting so, he , I, and my wife all got up to see and as we headed through the house to check there came a huge thud on the back door then another followed by obvious moaning and wailing.
The house is from the days before the Natl Forest, about 130 years old, and we have Predators al Domain Laws here that our land can be protected from intruders both two legged and four legged. I keep an H&R .45-70 in the back clapboard. And I opened the door rifle in hand to
find one of those old army fellows laying across the back porch deck sprawled out with an AR15 in his hands. He was babbling incoherently staring up into space. But the awful part was the blood. Blood was all over our porch speckled red over the stairs coming up to the porch and his back was torn all too pieces. It looked like several African lions had ripped into him. His shirt and jacket, both BDU camo had been ripped to shreds and his skin and muscle tissue as well. He was clwed worse than anything I have ever seen before. Maria called 911 immediately and an ambulance and Ranger came up from Estes Park. In the meanwhile we got him wrapped up and in the house. Set him onto the kitchen floor and elevated his feet. Maria and Buddy got the trauma kit out and started bandaging his shredded back and I went out into the back floodlights illuminating the yard. I followed the bloodtrail, his bloodtrail, all the way to the boundary. Something, by the looks of the torn branches and bramble, had chased him through the woods all the way up to our backdoor.
When the Ranger and the ambulance arrived, they got him stabalized and transported him down into Pinewood where he was airlifted to Longmont St Luke's Presbyterian hospital. The whole time all he kept mumbling out was "Wrong Wrong."
The Ranger, my Son and I walked all of our property line trying to make heads or tails out of the swath of broken limbs he had run through. Too big for Puma or Black Bear and there' hasn't been a Grizzly up here in a mellinium. Even still this swath was too big for one anyways.
All decided we'd look more in the daylight. The Ranger took a statement from everyone and left. We battened down the barn, and the house, stoked up the hearth and settled in to an uneasy restless night.
The next morning, I and my Son went out into the back and all the broken branches, the blood splatters, the ripped down limbs, were all completely gone. Like it never even happened. My back porch was clear. No mess. No nothing. We just looked at each other. Now I knew something strange something unexplained was going on.
County Game Fish and Wildlife agent showed up with the Ranger about 10 am and we all went back into the rear boundaries looking searching. But no trace of anything was there. The Ranger gave us a perplexed expression and shook his head. The torn up bush vet fellow got patched up at the hospital but was too unstable to give any statement. Lost alot of blood and was in for some serious skin reconstruction .
All the Ranger said was he must of made something mad and it tried to take him. The county man wrote down Bear Attack.
But me, I'm not so sure.
I've seen dancing lights on the hillside. I've heard screams and wails from the trees. But nothing has ever chased anyone out of the woods or damm near ripped them to shreds before. I never saw the bush vet again or his partner. After a year or so the Forest Service went into the deep and hauled out the School bus and the Camper. All kinda settled back to normal. But once in awhile we'll be in the back yard or coming to or from the barn and you just sorta feel someone or someone is watching, ....waiting.... licking it lips.

Good story, Men in Black came by and cleaned up the area, just forgot to flash thingy you guys...

Back in the 90's I was a night watchman for a company that sold dynamite,ammonia nitrate and various explosives to the mining industry in Eastern Kentucky.The jobsite I worked at was on the outskirts of a small town and was pretty isolated.The dynamite magazines and ammonina nitrate bins were all up a hollow that was about a half mile long from the front of the main offices where I usually stayed.All of the magazines were made of brick and cinder block and to me looked exactly like the ovens hitler used in his concentration camp,the woods bordered all around the job site and gave it a really spooky look,especially at night.About once a week we would get a tanker truck load of diesel fuel between midnight and 3 am,one night after the driver had offloaded the diesel at the head of this hollow he and I were standing in the parking lot talking before her went on his way,both of us were looking up the hollow when a brilliant light beam literally seemed to shoot up out of the forest,i mean it looked like one of those spot lights you see on those old world war 2 movies of the spotlights used in England to try and spot German airplanes,it was that bright.We both stopped talking when we seen it but it only lasted maybe 2 seconds,neither of us knew what it was as there was nothing up there that could cause a light that bright.He and I decided to walk up and see if we could find the cause of the light,we started off up the hollow and passed by a dusk to dawn pole light and just as we went by it,it went out.That startled us a bit but we decided to keep walking,as we passed the second light it went out as well.We both stopped and said screw it and started walking back to the parking lot,as we passed the second pole light it came back on,then as we passed the first pole light it came back on too.Neither of us could figure out what the hell was going on,so we watched about 30 minutes longer and never seen the light beam again and all the pole lights stayed on.Thw truck driver left and I sat in the car the rest of the night watching up the hollow but nothing strange happened the rest of the night.I worked there several years at night and there was many strange happenings over the years,i seen plasma balls a couple of times and many times found rabbits and deer dead in the hollow but they were all ripped and torn to pieces like something with sharp claws had just tore into them.Many times I could hear really weird noises coming from the woods there,screams,moans laughing.I don't know what the deal was with that place,but I was sure happy to get another job and get away from there after several years of working there.

Any more stories? I love these threads.

I was about a quarter mile from my house, walking down the old country road that used to be a logging road, and startled a deer. The sound it emitted sounded like something from Aliens mixed with Star Wars. Made both of us jump ten feet in the air.

Good advice, no pets here though. I can't really do anything to get rid of them as I can't fire a weapon inside the local township. If something crazy happened I do have my 870P and buckshot.
They make a 50 cal Air gun. Capable of taking a deer at 50 yrs. Pricey at around $650ish, but ZERO gunpowder.

Back