Have you ever seen anything creepy?

It was a small green orb, the sizr if a fist, hovering and buzzing over the tree tops. It matched pace with the truck. Creeped me out. The with no warning it blinked out.

I realize it's a long ways past when you saw it, but I think I know what your little fireball was. It sounds like ball lightning, both in appearance and behavior. I've seen this stuff a few times, it's WEIRD. It's buzzing the trees due to lightning's inherent attraction to tall things. Sometimes the little buggers will "Chase" metallic objects, explode, "teleport" and pass through solid objects. It comes in different colors and sizes, and is the origin on a lot of ghost stories and legends of angels, demons, fairies, etc.

If you ever see it again, please do try to get a picture of it. It's rather rare, and it's pretty well harmless unless you're holding a metal object or try to touch it.

I don't really have any creepy stories. I have WEIRD stories, but nothing I'd call creepy or scary.

I realize it's a long ways past when you saw it, but I think I know what your little fireball was. It sounds like ball lightning, both in appearance and behavior. I've seen this stuff a few times, it's WEIRD. It's buzzing the trees due to lightning's inherent attraction to tall things. Sometimes the little buggers will "Chase" metallic objects, explode, "teleport" and pass through solid objects. It comes in different colors and sizes, and is the origin on a lot of ghost stories and legends of angels, demons, fairies, etc.

If you ever see it again, please do try to get a picture of it. It's rather rare, and it's pretty well harmless unless you're holding a metal object or try to touch it.

I don't really have any creepy stories. I have WEIRD stories, but nothing I'd call creepy or scary.

I will try. I come across weird things from time to time.

Yes! I *hate* dolls!

When i was just a little thing, my cousins used to come over on a weekend here or there, and they would do their best to convince me Chucky was hiding in the house.. Little snot heads even had a doll they dresses up like em', complete with red hair, that they hid in the closet. They waited til late one night, and sat him up on living room sofa, complete with a kitchen knife some how stuck (glued, i think) in its hand. Yeah, that wasnt fun. Horrifying for a small child. -_- snot heads.

I haven't seen anything creepy, but I have gotten the "feeling" in the woods. Got back to open ground and the house quick.

A buck nekkid dude with dreadlocks sitting on a rock in a lotus position in the middle of a remote creek in the Pisgah National Forest chanting oohhhmmmm was kind of creepy.The larger creek this trib feed was a good location to spot nekkid hippie chicks and the occasional labrador retriever in the pool below Yellowstone falls and graveyard fields just upstream always had patchouli and B.O. mixed with hints of OG Kush in the air.

@willis, Did you holler "Don't look, Ethel"?

In my other post forgot to mention, nothing is creepier than when you step outside at night and hear coyotes doing their freaky screaming yodel on every ridge around you, or when you're walking through thick laurel in the middle of the night and hear them around you growling, but they're just out of sight.

A buck nekkid dude with dreadlocks sitting on a rock in a lotus position in the middle of a remote creek in the Pisgah National Forest chanting oohhhmmmm was kind of creepy.The larger creek this trib feed was a good location to spot nekkid hippie chicks and the occasional labrador retriever in the pool below Yellowstone falls and graveyard fields just upstream always had patchouli and B.O. mixed with hints of OG Kush in the air.

Thats incredibly gross. Nothing short of nasty. Lol. Did your eyes burn?

^^Sounds like eye beach is in order. I have one or two stories.
So at the back of my place there is about 100 acres of bush land with trails cut through it, my brother and I hang out there all the time. Any ways we were walking through there with a group of friends, about 4 in total. We stumbled across a rabbit warren and I had the bright idea that I should go back home get a bow (12 pound draw weight, piece of crap that we used for suction cup arrows) and then we can try and shoot ourselves a rabbit. This is twelve year old logic at its best here. Any way so I go back and get the bow and they weight there keeping watch. It is starting to get dark now and my mother comes out of the house and finds these guys waiting there at this rabbit warren. She scoops them up and starts taking them home, saying she will run into me coming back the other way on the path. Unfortunately I am not on the paths, I was very athletic as a child, unfortunately I have now discovered pie and it went downhill from there but I was running three kilometres back then so I thought I was hot stuff. It is much faster to go through the bush rather than the paths if you want to jump over logs and stuff and for a twelve-thirteen year old budding athlete the challenge of jumping logs with bow in hand was too much temptation so I jumped off the paths and went hell for leather.
However when i got back to the rendezvous point no-one's there. I start calling and no-one answers me back. So I jump on to the path and start moving up a few hundred metres then back a few. At this point in time I have just about run a k and am getting dog tired coz it's also now 6:30ish in the evening. It's getting dark and I start to panic. I begin to move back home off the paths again but this time it feels different. I am walking and the hairs on the back of my neck begin to stand up. Using the best logic I can muster I assume that my friends will be back home by now but i can't shake this feeling that something bad is about to happen. So I leg it again. I am about three hundred metres as the crow flies from my house again and I suddenly notice this white thing floating through the bush. With great trepidation I step forward, arrow at the ready and there's my friends with my Mum and Brother. My mate had a white shirt on. Suddenly that feeling went away but that was the most creeped out I ever got in the bush.

This is a great thread. One in which everyone should be encouraged to participate in because of the sheer entertainment value alone. In fact, perhaps the mods could consider making it a static thread by pinning it.

Anyway, I've never really seen anything creepy in the woods, yet I've heard some creepy things and thus been startled a few times.

The first was the latest event at my folks ranch up in the North part of Texas not terribly far from Foukes Arkansas of Bigfoot fame. Though we are close to the bottoms area of a nearby river , I've never seen evidence, nor heard anything remotely close to Bigfoot. Frankly , any "evidence" of such a creature would require overwhelming fact in the prima- facia at least that extends beyond twisted branches or an ambiguous footprint. In any event, there is a reason I qualify this.

My father is very thorough and strict in his run of the place and requires that all gates , or doors to buildings be locked at the end of their use , and all entry gates to be closed and locked at the end of the day. One very cool evening just at dusk, as the full moon was rising in early Spring, I walked out of the house, over to the Kabota, got in, ready to start the engine and make the 1/2 mile trek over the dam of the lake. The front gate was open and needed to be locked, as I had done many times before settling in for the evening. Just a tick before I turned the engine over I froze because I heard what sounded like a terrific scream that was sustained for a good 2-3 seconds. I've never heard a sound similar to that , ever at any time in the woods. In fact at the moment the sound was so surreal, I found myself simultaneously questioning if I was actually hearing what my ears were hearing and attempting to decipher what it was. No joke. The scream was definitely on our property, which I assessed about 3/4 -1 mile as the crow flies, southeast of the house in one of the hardwood sections.
Having hunted in true backcountry areas in Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico and all over Texas in very remote places , this was a first. After it was over, I waited for a good two minutes, a bit shaken,again questioning if I had heard what I thought heard. Knowing that I did , being somewhat disoriented , I went directly back into the house, got my pistol and proceeded to the front gate , in the dark. The ride was very unsettling as was the few moments it took me to get off of the Kubota and lock the gate.

The scream itself is best described as a cross between a woman's terrified scream and the distressed howl. of some sort. So, our locale being where it is, my mind went there despite very settled thoughts on the existence of Bigfoot as highly questionable. Ultimately , I dismissed this after concluding that there was a logical explanation for the disconcerting scream . After a little research scouring youtube, my sense is that the scream was from one coyote on the hunt or possibly a fox. Our property has many, that I've heard yelp but never the hunting scream. To be clear though, I'm still not entirely certain of this.

I'll post the second event after someone else posts a new entry of their experience.

EDIT: IF anyone can confirm the type of scream I've described, PM me because I do not want to hi jack this great thread

EDIT II: Just looked up the video again and the video is of a fox vocalizing a mating call. Yet the sound was a bit more sustained than the one on the video.

Last edited:
Nov 1972, my SF A-Team had jumped into Southern Germany for an exercise in the Black Forest, my first time in Germany. If you have never been in the Black Forest, at night, with no moon, it is one of those cannot see your hand in front of your face places. I am sitting by myself on security, waiting for the rest of the Team and 22 young German soldiers to show up at the new Base Camp.The ground in front of me slopes down, then falls off, much steeper. I hear something large coming up the hill towards me, stop, come a little closer maybe 30 yards away and stop. Then the most God awful scream, comes from that area. It goes on several more times and I have put my M16 down as it only has blanks, and taken out my Randall 14.
a few more screams, and then what ever it was crashes down hill away from me. My buddy who was behind me about 20 yards, comes down and says "Did you hear that?" He then tells me he thought something had gotten me, but if he came down it would get him too. It did not help that I was about half way thru reading the book The Omen", but had no idea what had been out there. Later i found out it was a barking deer, but it was for me a terrifying scream, not helped by having no idea of what was making the sound. John

I have also heard deer almost seem to scream. It almost sounded like pigs squiling as these deer ran off. Was weird. They make noises sometimes you would nevee think of a deer making. Could see a deer making a scream noise.

John A Larson- when you mentioned Germany, dark forest, a guttural scream followed by crashing , a Stag was the first thing I thought of. Being in the woods, even if you're a woodsman at certain times , hearing certain things , or especially dead silence is very unsettling.

At any rate my next story, is not as creepy as the first because in all candor, I'm still not certain if what I heard was a fox, coyote or something else.

One night , in early November a friend of mine and I had just come off the stand in deep East Texas on some "paper land" we were hunting. Paper land is tracts of land owned by large Paper companies that harvest the trees for paper products. After we reached camp, we started a fire, fired up the stove and began grilling steaks for the evenings supper. The moon was rising full, fire was nice and toasty, steaks grilling nicely, sipping a drink, and feeling right about things.

Once we got the steaks off the grill, plates ready, we sat down for supper and a couple cold ones. We had a lantern on the table, and my back was facing a fairly steep wooded hill just over the sandy road. The steaks were medium rare -right, baked potato , salad etc. Just as I take a bite of my steak, savoring the juicy flavor I hear the rustling of leaves in the tall grass not 30 yards behind me. This obvious noise of potential intruders stops me , mid bite, forcing me to turn around and peer into the darkness. Then, nothing but silence for about 6-7 seconds. Just as I started to relax slightly, the loudest yelping noise came from that area, startling my friend and I to the point that I reached over and grabbed my rifle sitting against the tree at arms length. I yelled back and told them to beat it, which apparently they did when they determined the steaks were ours and they weren't getting any.....

That was the evenings excitement. Apparently the smell of those steaks wafted to wherever they were denned up and compelled them to come after them. Good times.

Last edited:
TThe first was the latest event at my folks ranch up in the North part of Texas not terribly far from Foukes Arkansas of Bigfoot fame. Though we are close to the bottoms area of a nearby river , I've never seen evidence, nor heard anything remotely close to Bigfoot. Frankly , any "evidence" of such a creature would require overwhelming fact in the prima- facia at least that extends beyond twisted branches or an ambiguous footprint. In any event, there is a reason I qualify this.

Here's my post from the "sasquatch" thread a while back, a genuine Fouke Monster story: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Sasquatch-encounters?p=12993282#post12993282

The scream itself is best described as a cross between a woman's terrified scream and the distressed scream of a baby. So, our locale being where it is, my mind went there despite very settled thoughts on the existence of Bigfoot as highly questionable. Ultimately , I dismissed this after concluding that there was a logical explanation for the disconcerting scream . After a little research scouring youtube, my sense is that the scream was from one coyote on the hunt or possibly a fox. Our property has many, that I've heard yelp but never the hunting scream. To be clear though, I'm still not entirely certain of this.

I'll post the second event after someone else posts a new entry of their experience.

EDIT: IF anyone can confirm the type of scream I've described, PM me because I do not want to hi jack this great thread

A cat likely. :thumbup:

Nov 1972, my SF A-Team had jumped into Southern Germany for an exercise in the Black Forest, my first time in Germany. If you have never been in the Black Forest, at night, with no moon, it is one of those cannot see your hand in front of your face places. I am sitting by myself on security, waiting for the rest of the Team and 22 young German soldiers to show up at the new Base Camp.The ground in front of me slopes down, then falls off, much steeper. I hear something large coming up the hill towards me, stop, come a little closer maybe 30 yards away and stop. Then the most God awful scream, comes from that area. It goes on several more times and I have put my M16 down as it only has blanks, and taken out my Randall 14.
a few more screams, and then what ever it was crashes down hill away from me. My buddy who was behind me about 20 yards, comes down and says "Did you hear that?" He then tells me he thought something had gotten me, but if he came down it would get him too. It did not help that I was about half way thru reading the book The Omen", but had no idea what had been out there. Later i found out it was a barking deer, but it was for me a terrifying scream, not helped by having no idea of what was making the sound. John

Hi John, is that the same time you tapped the German on the shoulder with your short sword (Randall) to let them know you were there? Love that story.

Jesus, I hate that feeling of extreme fear/warning. One time, when I was a small kid (12-ish), I had owned several pets, 2 dogs, and 1 rabbit. I had gone to bed, but I got this horrible feeling that something was going to happen to my pets, so I went downstairs and checked on my rabbit and my dogs, and they were fine. I went to bed after that. The next morning, I recieved some extremely disturbing news from my father. He had told me that my rabbit could not move/hop. I went to the vet to get her checked out, and sure enough, her spine had been severed. I had no idea how this had happened, but that feeling of warning came back to haunt me. She ended up dying a week later from unknown complications (Maybe she had gone septic from the lack of control of bowel movements? Dont know, never will)

DRE, I think you are referring to a trip to Italy, when my Engineer SGT, Phil Sherlin snuck up on two Italian paras on an MG3 and tapped one of them on the shoulder with his Randall, got their attention very quickly. John

Yup, that's the one. Sorry I got the details all mixed up. Here's another one involving your Model 14 I will probably mess up as well. The time you were doing water ops training and your Randall almost joined Davy Jones locker. I squirmed with that one because I baby my Randall and the logical side says I shouldn't carry a knife I am afraid of breaking or losing. The emotional side . . . well, that's a different story.

Dan

Last edited:
DRE, yes, Key West,and I threw my web gear down to access a folder on by trouser belt to cut a boat lose as the Randall was tied in, turned around and the web gear and Randall were half off the stern of the boat. It was only about 25 feet deep there so probably could have dove for it, but finding it might have been hard. John

Back