Have you ever wished for Spyderco Triangle stones on Edge Pro

I just did.
I started out using the Black Ark. and Translucent Ark.
Fixed the rounded over dull tip common to Case.
Worked the curve and the rest of the blade. Got the curve sharp.
Having trouble with the "straight" portion of the edge. From how it feels on my thumb nail and how it looks under magnification it isn't far from sharp. It is a brand new knife after all.

Finally I went as far as using the edges of the stones to get down into the slight crescent of the edge. Of course one bevel is one angle and the other bevel is some other angle far removed and they are not speaking to each other. You might be able to see on the corners of the Translucent the black on the stone. Still not feeling bity on my finger nail let alone any where near shaving hair.

In the end I grabbed the Spyderco Triangle stone (Ultra fine no less) and got into the ever so slight curve of the blade. It is so slight I can't see any curve but it doesn't fit down on the flat of the natural stones.
The blade shaves now.

In a day or two, OK probably tomorrow, I will be taking the knife to my Edge Pro. The Chef is cooking in the kitchen and then we will watch a movie or I would be Edge Proing tonight.

I just know I am going to have to take off some steel to get that edge straightened out. If I had Spyderco Triangle Rods to fit on the Edge Pro I would just geeterdone quicker with less metal gone.

I know I know just use the Sharpmaker. No if I'm going to busssout a jig I'm going for crazy sharp so I want the EP and besides the blade has two different angles so I want to minimize any steepening of the geometry . . . 20° ? ? ? ?
NEEEEEVVVVVAAAAARRRRRR ! ! !
15° is crazy enough on such a little knife.

Ever wish for a triangle rod on the Edge Pro ?
This could be the collaboration of the Century.
IMG_6140.jpg

If hasty material removal on an edge pro is what you're going for why not just use diamond plates? CKTG has a 4 pack (80, 140, 400 & 1000) for $30.

I've been using the latter 3 for years now (they recently added the 80) and they chew through steel pretty damn quick. Especially something like TruSharp.

I've used Norton 4" stones on a Sharpmaker..
0513934-23.jpg

I just did.
I started out using the Black Ark. and Translucent Ark.
Fixed the rounded over dull tip common to Case.
Worked the curve and the rest of the blade. Got the curve sharp.
Having trouble with the "straight" portion of the edge. From how it feels on my thumb nail and how it looks under magnification it isn't far from sharp. It is a brand new knife after all.

Finally I went as far as using the edges of the stones to get down into the slight crescent of the edge. Of course one bevel is one angle and the other bevel is some other angle far removed and they are not speaking to each other. You might be able to see on the corners of the Translucent the black on the stone. Still not feeling bity on my finger nail let alone any where near shaving hair.

In the end I grabbed the Spyderco Triangle stone (Ultra fine no less) and got into the ever so slight curve of the blade. It is so slight I can't see any curve but it doesn't fit down on the flat of the natural stones.
The blade shaves now.

In a day or two, OK probably tomorrow, I will be taking the knife to my Edge Pro. The Chef is cooking in the kitchen and then we will watch a movie or I would be Edge Proing tonight.

I just know I am going to have to take off some steel to get that edge straightened out. If I had Spyderco Triangle Rods to fit on the Edge Pro I would just geeterdone quicker with less metal gone.

I know I know just use the Sharpmaker. No if I'm going to busssout a jig I'm going for crazy sharp so I want the EP and besides the blade has two different angles so I want to minimize any steepening of the geometry . . . 20° ? ? ? ?
NEEEEEVVVVVAAAAARRRRRR ! ! !
15° is crazy enough on such a little knife.

Ever wish for a triangle rod on the Edge Pro ?
This could be the collaboration of the Century.
View attachment 1258854

"I was having trouble sharpening a curve on this blade with a flat stone so I used a Spyderco triangle stone. It got into the curve nicely. Wouldn't it be nice if there was something like a spyderco triangle stone for the edge pro?"

Clarity and concision man. You get angry at folks for not understanding you, but go to great effort to pen needlessly lengthy and meandering posts with no discernable point.

How about Matrix stones with some belly to them for recurve edges?

Gritomatic has some Arkansas triangle stones for the Edge Pro or you could get triangle stones from Congress Tools and glue them to a blank if I understand you correctly. Heck rubber band a Spyderco rod to a blank.

Back