Have you found a knife that didn't get along with your 204?

I was just wondering if any of you had encountered any knives from any companies that seemed incompatible with the 204. I haven't had any problems with mine but it's almost hard to believe that one sharpening system can take care of anything. This isn't a knock on the sharpmaker, I've just never had any kind of product that was compatible with everything!

So any problems? What were they and could you fix them?

------------------
Karma is only justice without the satisfaction

I have a Chef's Choice chef's knife that seems unwilling to be sharpened by the 204. I think it's due to the fact that the steel is incredibly hard. It sharpens well on the Chef's Choice electric sharpener, but that's about it.

I'd chalk all this up to the 204's lack of a coarse stone. All together now: "Give us diamond rods!!!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
"Give us diamond rods!!!"</font>

I really don't understand why they don't supply the sleeves, at least. Lots of knives previously sharpened by other means need edge profiling.

While we wait, there's always the crock stick with diamond rods to fall back on. Of course if the angle isn't exactly 20 (15) degrees, then the crock stick has to be a permanent replacement for the 203/204. That surely cannot be what Spyderco wants. Can it?

Hey MarcV,

If you'll do a search of past forum articles, you'll see several different discussions about the diamond sleeves. Apparently, the diamonds wouldnt stick to the sleeves very well, and rather than selling an inferior product, Spyderco chose to wait until they could do it right. I really respect that. (although I really would love to have some diamond rods or sleeves or whatever...)
About the real topic, I have some cheap-o kitchen knives that have the tiny sawlike serrations. THey dont sharpen too well on the sharpmaker. I suppose I could sharpen them from the backside only and they'd get a bit of an edge, but they're only good for ripping through stuff anyway. It seems that the handles are going to be worn out before the blades anyway...

--Matt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
If you'll do a search of past forum articles, you'll see several different discussions about the diamond sleeves. Apparently, the diamonds wouldnt stick to the sleeves very well, </font>

Yes, I have read those postings but this still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Sure diamond chips depart the substrate when improperly used. But other suppliers must face the same challenge. Spyderco does so many things well; it seems reasonable that they've had enough time to overcome this problem.

Your jagged edge cheapies are a good example of edges in dire need of reprofiling. Maybe a plastics mold maker could supply us with triangular inserts that would hold some of the many diamond rods I've managed to collect?

Or could they be homemade from epoxy in a mold cast from clay? I'm not too good at this, but somebody on the forum might have a plan for us.

So far, my Sharpmaker has been able to sharpen everything in size from my LARGE Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri to my little Cold Steel Medium (plain-edge) Clip-Point Voyager. I have sharpened knives made out of Carbon V (WHATEVER the heck THAT is), AUS-8A, AUS-6, ATS-34, D-2 Enhanced, 440C, and 420...all with excellent results.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

One knife has given me a slight problem. I don't know if it's me, or the knife(tempering). It's the Shrade+ stuff, I believe this stuff is 440A. To get a satisfying edge, I start out on a med. AK bench stone(normally steps 1 & 2), then go through steps 3 & 4 on the 204. When I do this with my wife's knife it gets hair poping sharp! When I go through the four stages(plain edge) it want pass my test! Everything else it loves! RKBA!

[This message has been edited by Alan2112 (edited 06-08-2001).]

I had this one helluva stubborn China-made tactical knife which had to be back-bevelled to get an edge. It was a tough job as it wouldn't get sharpened at all... This became my most unpleasant experience..
frown.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...
AKTI Member #A001148

Back