Having a CRK be slightly off center, does it bother you?

I can see it off a tiny amount.

that amount wouldn't bother me. way over to one side or rubbing on the liner on a knife this expensive would bother me. on a 100 buck folder I was using as a user...... way off but not rubbing I wouldn't care much if at all, if it had zero affect on function.

rubbing is what annoys me....more than off center.

gdD4Tah_d.webp

ylaD8Sj.jpeg

3IXdWIu.jpeg

This is the best I can do. It's not centered. I don't want this thread to be about this knife's particular centering, I've already contacted CRK and they said this is uncommon but they could fix it if I sent it in.

I more wanted this thread to be basically CRK enthusiasts thoughts on centering, does it matter to you or not? For me personally, I do like it to be centered.
Thanks for posting up the pic, I appreciate it. It's always good to get this kind of evidence recorded here on BladeForums.

It does look like the lockbar is pushing the blade over a bit.

That would also bother me a bit in the price range, and worth sending in or replacing.

For some knives, like for example a Spyderco Endura, it would not be an issue. For a CRK, it would be.

This being my opinion only.

For another knife it’s slightly off center. For a CRK I consider that quite a bit off center. If I don’t have to close one eye and look real close at the right angle to see it, a CRK is way off in my opinion.

Obviously price and tolerances play a role in my opinion, but I would be sending that thing in if it were mine.

If my Buck 110 was that far off it wouldn’t bother me a bit. But if my Large 21 was that far off I don’t think my brain could handle not sending it in.

Looking at that pic it appears to be off center to the show side, which means maybe the pivot is too loose and the lock at is able to push the blade over?

Knowing how these knives are made and the tolerances they are kept to it’s hard to imagine a blade off center unless a washer is pinched or the pivot is too loose. (If someone was chasing a “drop shut” action like so many YouTuber’s are obsessed with, well then I can see someone making the pivot too loose.)

OP, have you ever disassembled the knife, and have you tried taking it apart and reassembling it? This is faster, easier, and cheaper than sending it in.

When you reassemble try setting the pivot before you tighten the scale screws. (Keep the scale screws loose until you tighten the pivot.)

It used to drive me insane. I’d disassemble, reassemble, clean, tweak, do all I could to get them center. I’d show them to other people and they’d always say they looked good to them. As time has gone on, other the last few years, it doesn’t bother me. I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time that I’ve even looked or thought about looking. Cleaned and reassembled one last weekend and didn’t even look at centering

Isn’t this a known problem on just these CF Knifeart models? The only off center CRKs I ever remember seeing are always these ones. I forget what about it made these more prone to go off center.

Having 2 of them on order: it would sure set off my OCD alarms...
Even though I know that tiny amount couldn't impair function if it wanted to!
But I'd still probably try taking it apart... just to see if I could make it worse!

Isn’t this a known problem on just these CF Knifeart models? ...
Kind of. CRK has officially stated that they can not and will not guarantee perfect alignment on a knife with a carbon scale. Something about machining carbon and the flexibility of the material.

Wouldn't bother me. Have you made sure all svrews are tight? One slightly loose screw can make a blade be off center.

The new picture does look slightly off but I don't think I would be bothered. If the edge is good with a good lockup then I'm 99% happy.

gdD4Tah_d.webp

ylaD8Sj.jpeg

3IXdWIu.jpeg

This is the best I can do. It's not centered. I don't want this thread to be about this knife's particular centering, I've already contacted CRK and they said this is uncommon but they could fix it if I sent it in.

I more wanted this thread to be basically CRK enthusiasts thoughts on centering, does it matter to you or not? For me personally, I do like it to be centered.

That's not slightly, I think it looks pretty bad.

If you close it and hold it up against light, how does the light shine through between the blade and scales?

This will show you if it is just the tip that is ground crooked of if your blade sits crooked in the pivot. Or even a combination of both.

Last edited:
It annoys me like crazy... I have a small 31 micarta that is off center about like yours... love it, other then that. Every time I pull it out I think about it lol. For the price, unacceptable IMO.

I need to send it in at some point but don't like not having it around for 6-8 weeks.

If the blade was designed to be off center, then I am not bothered. IMHO, there is an issue with your specimen, as suggested, sending it in to CRK would be the right action since it is a 21 sebenza.

I have a large 21 that was significantly off center, but still not rubbing.
I sent it Bosie.
They told me one of the scales was warped & they straightened it (which doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but it’s what they said).

It came back to me very much improved but not quite perfect.
It doesn’t bother me enough to send it back again. In all honesty, it only bothers me at all because it's a CRK (and the expectation is perfection). If it were a Benchmade and so close to centered I’d be ecstatic.

Back