Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

the reddish color of that soil is just intense. expect it's very rich and will grow bout anything. here we have mostly sand. nothing that thick and rich in nutrients.....I'm assuming that its rich soil?

as always great stuff round the farm and great pics of the muskrat in action.

Thanks jbmonkey jbmonkey !

Interestingly enough it actually doesn’t have much nutrient. The red color is actually a rust from the iron content from the lava degradation. The mountain peaks have lots of biomass so there is rich soil and even bogs. The lower parts have not had enough time to build soils so I have to fertigate most of my crops.

Also, since the island used to grow a lot of pineapples, I have to spread lime quite often to neutralize the acidity.

But the soil does make a great planting medium and I’m trying to build soil health by integrating cover crop and incorporating crop residuals back in the soil.

The red color stains everything...some tourist stores even sell “red dirt shirts”....hahaha

Interestingly enough it actually doesn’t have much nutrient. The red color is actually a rust from the iron content from the lava degradation. The mountain peaks have lots of biomass so there is rich soil and even bogs. The lower parts have not had enough time to build soils so I have to fertigate most of my crops.

Also, since the island used to grow a lot of pineapples, I have to spread lime quite often to neutralize the acidity.

But the soil does make a great planting medium and I’m trying to build soil health by integrating cover crop and incorporating crop residuals back in the soil.

The red color stains everything...some tourist stores even sell “red dirt shirts”....hahaha
fascinating. thanks for the info. it is a pretty color at least....:)

What an excellent thread MolokaiRider MolokaiRider ! I commend you for taking the extra time to bring us along on all of your day to day events, it's not always easy to stop what you're doing to snap pictures.

Thank you for the kind words greentrout greentrout .

It’s been enjoyable sharing and participating in the Bladeforums community.

And thank you for being a part of the community as well!

My wife was craving coconut today so I peeled and chopped open one with the venerable BK9. I love this knife!

Afterward I used a full sized Case Sodbuster in CV to scoop and cut shavings.

The blade profile is perfect for this, but I learned the hard way a fixed blade should have been used. The twist cuts have caused some blade play...nothing catastrophic but noticeable. Lesson learned...

Anyone know of a way to tighten? Peen the pivot?

451927D2-917B-49DB-A601-6E71317B444A.jpeg C77F8A66-5682-4929-98F0-CDF34694B241.jpeg 2BD8A9DB-DAB1-4B53-A415-1603D9CD7863.jpeg AD521FD6-4402-45F2-A7D4-BFE77EDB099D.jpeg

Just picked up a 2015 Hagie DTS10 from an auction. I carried a couple Kershaw Dividends along with me to check out the machine.

These are very nice little folders, and the 420hc steel sharpens quite easily. I’m a bit more fond of the FRN version. It fills the hand a little better. Very nice for the money though.

337B66CB-E6C5-438F-8991-CD7D158D1016.jpeg BEDDB8C9-0DFE-4C36-BD55-1E948225ED52.jpeg FA963BC7-F1EA-49F0-8D8F-4E639C902092.jpeg

Before stopping at the farm, I stopped by a wetland to look for birds. We just had a good rain. I had the Esee Izula 2 in my pocket while poking around the area.

I think the warranty alone warrants picking up an Esee. They have a very nice level of fit and finish. This little guy is pretty thick behind the edge, but will certainly stand up to abuse.

6DF310DE-E72C-4194-B04C-0A6852D2C117.jpeg

Just finished planting a nursery today. I keep a hand made chopper that is from the Philippines in a farm truck. I use it to clear hard shrubs from the irrigation sub main valves.

The edge is fully convexed and the steel is likely from a vehicle leaf spring. The leather sheath, while rough, works well. The blade tip is sharpened all around back to the spine tip.

This knife came incredibly sharp. I traded a old Gerber Applegate Fairbairn combat folder for this. I later found out the person I traded got this knife for the equivalent of .50 cents (US). I’m still happy with the trade!

F5D07059-F342-4A2E-B65D-1BDE5AF0E544.jpeg CC07CD64-E92E-452B-A082-8B6CFDD90205.jpeg F54F1DBE-9FF5-450A-B1B8-0C4A82A70AE1.jpeg 0D75E82C-06A8-4EFC-A409-A1C9F0480C2A.jpeg 1D7AB32A-033A-49A2-A663-644381F4E770.jpeg

Just finished planting a nursery today. I keep a hand made chopper that is from the Philippines in a farm truck. I use it to clear hard shrubs from the irrigation sub main valves.

The edge is fully convexed and the steel is likely from a vehicle leaf spring. The leather sheath, while rough, works well. The blade tip is sharpened all around back to the spine tip.

This knife came incredibly sharp. I traded a old Gerber Applegate Fairbairn combat folder for this. I later found out the person I traded got this knife for the equivalent of .50 cents (US). I’m still happy with the trade!

View attachment 1020292 View attachment 1020293 View attachment 1020294 View attachment 1020295 View attachment 1020296

Yes! I'm working on something with almost the same blade shape right now!

Definitely bought a red dirt shirt last summer on Maui lol

I’m packeting seed today to prepare to plant nursery. I recently picked up the Buck 112 Ranger Slim Pro and have been carrying it for a few days.

What I like:
The micarta feels great and looks nice.
S30v is always nice on a pocket knife.
Thumbstud on a Ranger!
Thin and light.
Pocket clip!

What could be better:
More blade length and grind (like the normal 112).
Pocket clip! It’s nice to have but big and creates a hot spot in the meat of your hand.
Pinned construction...at this price it would be nice to service the folder.

A big thank you to Buck for making these new slim knives. I hope they sell well for them!

51982B56-04A2-4602-AE1F-F6E7DE017257.jpeg 5384CF6A-1680-4C32-BFC4-EA8173374EEB.jpeg

It has faded over time but here's my Red Dirt Shirt Molokai
pcV4fFa.jpg

After disking up some land on the farm I found this Kershaw that had been buried for who knows how long.

I took a few pics of what it looked like after I picked it up, and a few after hosing it off with some water.

What’s interesting is the edge is still factory sharp and non-corroded. It will cut copy paper with no problem.

I guess if I ever find the time I’ll see if I can take it apart and clean it up.

D773079B-BF04-42A1-A41B-2EB4CEB8B346.jpeg 9DC884AB-1322-4B79-A1C2-CA75EBA1ACD4.jpeg 5729F896-CC7F-4E3F-ADAB-B0113BB64649.jpeg B59978B2-56FD-44F3-810C-1F81C60D9E7F.jpeg

As always great thread with great pics !!!!!! Thank you for sharing all this :)
That’s a really cool find !!! Things like that, that I come across. I’ve had good luck with safest rust remover or just tossing in a can of wd40 mixed with marvel mystery oil. Both are toss in let soak, check on later lol

As always great thread with great pics !!!!!! Thank you for sharing all this :)
That’s a really cool find !!! Things like that, that I come across. I’ve had good luck with safest rust remover or just tossing in a can of wd40 mixed with marvel mystery oil. Both are toss in let soak, check on later lol

Thank you for the kind words!

Good advice, I will try that. I think that’s a good first start since the screws are probably corroded and will need soaked for a while.

Back