Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

Soaked, torn down, sanded, cleaned up, and re-greased. Fires hard and centered. Not bad Kershaw!

Scales are pretty ragged, and the detent ball is rusted away, but the speedsafe holds the blade closed.

I won’t be pocket carrying this but it will be put back into service.

68C8B67B-5370-4004-A3C3-2C97BA3936CB.jpeg E28810CD-2A69-4F4B-963C-C68CAEC14F7B.jpeg E2DF80BE-40A0-4EE8-966A-51CADFA47006.jpeg

That held up really well, I guess the soil isn’t very acidic, I figured with the sulfur from the volcano it probably was.

My edc for the 10 days I was on Maui last summer was a black SE Salt 1 for daytime (wet with salt water every day) and a VToku Delica at night. The VToku already had a patina on it but I intentionally didn’t Tuf cloth it before (brough it with me though) to see what would happen, within one night of pocket carry I had a darkening haze patina from the humid air.

Keep it coming...I was wondering if anyone lived on Molokai...no lights at night!

That held up really well, I guess the soil isn’t very acidic, I figured with the sulfur from the volcano it probably was.

My edc for the 10 days I was on Maui last summer was a black SE Salt 1 for daytime (wet with salt water every day) and a VToku Delica at night. The VToku already had a patina on it but I intentionally didn’t Tuf cloth it before (brough it with me though) to see what would happen, within one night of pocket carry I had a darkening haze patina from the humid air.

Keep it coming...I was wondering if anyone lived on Molokai...no lights at night!

Spyderco Salt series are a great match to Hawaii life for sure. You definitely have to take care of rusting blades being surrounded by Ocean.

I hope you had a nice experience on Maui, it’s a fun island!

After disking up some land on the farm I found this Kershaw that had been buried for who knows how long.

I took a few pics of what it looked like after I picked it up, and a few after hosing it off with some water.

What’s interesting is the edge is still factory sharp and non-corroded. It will cut copy paper with no problem.

I guess if I ever find the time I’ll see if I can take it apart and clean it up.

View attachment 1032889 View attachment 1032890 View attachment 1032891 View attachment 1032892

Wow! Now, was this a knife you lost at some point previously, or just a found item?

After disking up some land on the farm I found this Kershaw that had been buried for who knows how long.

I took a few pics of what it looked like after I picked it up, and a few after hosing it off with some water.

What’s interesting is the edge is still factory sharp and non-corroded. It will cut copy paper with no problem.

I guess if I ever find the time I’ll see if I can take it apart and clean it up.

View attachment 1032889 View attachment 1032890 View attachment 1032891 View attachment 1032892
ahhh so that's how Kershaws are made

Wow! Now, was this a knife you lost at some point previously, or just a found item?

I am pretty sure someone lost it years ago and it was buried until we recently worked up the ground. I am guessing maybe three or four years. Pretty crazy it wasn’t all rusted away to nothing!

ahhh so that's how Kershaws are made

Hahahahaha....the birth of a Kershaw!

EAsily the best thread to date imo. Love the knife pics but also the scenery and getting to see your paradise. I’ll never get there but it sure looks like a wonderful place to live.

Always enjoy catching up on this thread ... looks like you had a nice Christmas ... hope everyone there did!

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures.

Thank you as well!

I am quite thankful to have the opportunity to be a part of this forum’s community and reading everyone’s posts.

To be able to peek into each other’s shared interests and meet all you fine folks is wonderful.

Merry Christmas JJ_Colt45 JJ_Colt45 !

Back