Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

Question to the OP...how much rain do you get in your property usually and what steels so you find are and aren’t well suited to the island environment?

To those who aren’t familiar, many of the islands of Hawaii have major variances ranging from full on rain forest (Kauai) to almost desert (leeward Maui)

Question to the OP...how much rain do you get in your property usually and what steels so you find are and aren’t well suited to the island environment?

To those who aren’t familiar, many of the islands of Hawaii have major variances ranging from full on rain forest (Kauai) to almost desert (leeward Maui)

Hello J John_0917 and thank you for the great question.

H1 in my experience works great as a bait, dive, boat, and fishing knife as we all expect. I have not had the opportunity to mess around with LC200N yet, but I suspect it is a winner in the same environment.

The farm is more arid, and so tough steels like 1075, 1095, 5160 work ideally. Toughness is more important than edge retention so I reach for these types more often.

I hunt and clean game primarily with CPM 3V. Amazing edge retention and survives bone impact extraordinarily well.

For EDC I enjoy 14C28N and CPM M4. Lately I’ve been shifting to Case and GEC with non stainless steels just from the pure joy they bring. I have to be careful with them though, as the salt air and humidity can sneak in very quickly.

To answer your question on what steels are not well suited...I’m not sure. In my experience they all have a use and having options to match their attributes to the task is part of the fun.

Carried my 110 on the belt this morning while scouting a few breeding nurseries.

Deer have been nibbling a little in this area but not bad. Insects and weeds are an issue...as usual.

I have to admit. Carrying a 110 on the belt makes me feel nostalgic. Timeless design and as American as apple pie.

32792A17-EB3D-4ABF-B5C7-697F3EA00419.jpeg

How would you like getting the new Buck Slim Pro? Maybe even lighter but still good feeling to have on your belt? Did you get those hogs?

Great suggestions, and yes I picked up a 112 Slim Pro and a 110 Slim. Great work knives!

No word on the hogs yet. They are in the area though so I will be keeping a firearm close.

Looks like it was a productive day for you Molokai and once again, cool pics :cool::thumbsup:. That Heiau looks like it's well off the tourist paths. One can only imagine about the people how held ceremony's their. Keep up the good work and Git them little piggies before they eat everything on the island.

Nice the GEC is getting a nice patina on it already but it's a shame about the Rapala, looks like it had a good run though. You should check out Bubba Blades fillet knives, they are all the rage up here in New England. I gifted one to my friend as a boat warming gift last year and he loves it and uses it every weekend. he's not a knife nut but he did notice that it holds a nice working edge much longer that others he has had. https://www.bubbablade.com/collecti...6sVKqhDSTgueN1tNvTLyKk1cdSqV-GksaAv4gEALw_wcB

Nice the GEC is getting a nice patina on it already but it's a shame about the Rapala, looks like it had a good run though. You should check out Bubba Blades fillet knives, they are all the rage up here in New England. I gifted one to my friend as a boat warming gift last year and he loves it and uses it every weekend. he's not a knife nut but he did notice that it holds a nice working edge much longer that others he has had. https://www.bubbablade.com/collecti...6sVKqhDSTgueN1tNvTLyKk1cdSqV-GksaAv4gEALw_wcB

Thanks for the suggestion on the Bubba Blade. They do have a very interesting handle design for sure.

Price isn’t too bad either!

Back