Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

I use a Silky and a BK9 quite often, excellent combo that can pretty much take care of anything!

I agree...great combo for sure!

People are slobs. They think their mother is still gonna pick up after them!!

It certainly can be frustrating.

Did you have to cut the bamboo in half if it was already a natural vase? Unless you had to seal the end to hold water? Neat project, would love to see what you do with flowers on Easter Morning. :D

I split a few to cut and make a four leg base using hot glue. You are correct about bamboo working well as a natural vase. Sometimes though you have to seal up the nodes with glue, but not always.

A client was poking around a nursery this morning and I noticed he was using this Benchmade.

I asked to take a picture and told him that the knife was well made and how much one costs new.

He was shocked, and said he found it and had no idea on its value.

It’s funny... I should have offered to buy it...cause for some reason I want to rescue it!

7DBED420-7CDE-4A11-A7B3-EB26A7A97CDE.jpeg 4489DCD0-C06E-46F8-85C6-03434FE8D420.jpeg

I put the King to work this morning smashing, bashing, prying, and cutting.

I wanted to share some pictures of what’s happening to our oceans. The amount of trash is staggering.

These shorelines have been cleaned multiple times over the years, and as you can see, results don’t last long.

The minuscule pile I’ve collected pales in comparison to what the ocean holds.

Lost of commercial fishing stuff, car parts, household items, and plastic everything under the sun.

Please be aware and do your part to reduce, reuse, recycle.

View attachment 1097899 View attachment 1097900 View attachment 1097901 View attachment 1097902 View attachment 1097903 View attachment 1097904 View attachment 1097905
That is quite disturbing. People are disgusting. Good on you for some clean up.

Thank you and sometimes I do wonder why the heck we as a species seem to poo in our own beds.

While fishing offshore, you spend a lot of time dodging huge floating piles of trash. Lots of plastic in fish stomachs. It’s a mess for sure.

It is more than a mess. It is just one of a lerge number of things happening to this planet that are killing off hundreds of species, and may ultimately finish us off.

Apple Peru and Chinese Lantern grow like crazy during the wet season.

I got to work with the good ole 18 inch Tramontina machete, with a bastard file edge and Rothco plastic sheath.

The long reach makes it much easier on the back to cut lower to the ground.

This setup is really hard to beat for the low cost, and I highly recommend picking up one or ten.

61DC701D-B2BA-44AD-801F-CD1A6125B0EB.jpeg 19C7D898-D48C-42B4-8995-7378DA3AC8FC.jpeg 2C45B551-290B-4DF2-A4C1-821793FFBC6B.jpeg

Apple Peru and Chinese Lantern grow like crazy during the wet season.

I got to work with the good ole 18 inch Tramontina machete, with a bastard file edge and Rothco plastic sheath.

The long reach makes it much easier on the back to cut lower to the ground.

This setup is really hard to beat for the low cost, and I highly recommend picking up one or ten.

View attachment 1099683 View attachment 1099684 View attachment 1099685

When my battalion was doing a 17 day FTX on Oahu, I remember chewing on wild sweet cane when we had some downtime. Hell everyone was chewing on it. It was refreshing after hiking the Kahuku Mts. Beautiful place and would love to take my family there one day!

When my battalion was doing a 17 day FTX on Oahu, I remember chewing on wild sweet cane when we had some downtime. Hell everyone was chewing on it. It was refreshing after hiking the Kahuku Mts. Beautiful place and would love to take my family there one day!

Sounds like good memories! Cane is getting harder to find, but there are still a few places it’s growing wild.

And your right...it’s definitely fun and sweet to chew on!

I swear this happens to me at least once a week.

On a positive note...I’m glad I caught this early and didn’t lose the knife.

No biggie just thought I’d share the pics. The Kershaw is still a winner!

D9337A2F-6121-4B69-8529-74DD5D6BB321.jpeg E055EAA2-25CB-49F6-8B79-4FB61743C271.jpeg

I think the OP needs to get his hands on some LC200N, it's super rust resistant, tough and decently wear resistant, seems like it would be good for a folder for him (like a Caribbean or Native Salt).
The Caribbean would be perfect I think for the OP!

I think the OP needs to get his hands on some LC200N, it's super rust resistant, tough and decently wear resistant, seems like it would be good for a folder for him (like a Caribbean or Native Salt).

I think your 100 percent correct!

Serrated H1 is an awesome choice as well .

Can't help with the beefed-up pocket clips, tho!

Great suggestion on the serrations. I honestly don’t have any and should really give one a try. I’ve had a lot of luck with H1.

The Caribbean would be perfect I think for the OP!

I think you may be right!

I swear this happens to me at least once a week.

On a positive note...I’m glad I caught this early and didn’t lose the knife.

No biggie just thought I’d share the pics. The Kershaw is still a winner!

View attachment 1103859 View attachment 1103860
That happened to my SOG Twitch 2, snagged something while in my pocket and bent the clip. Not sure if I can bend it back.

I put the King to work this morning smashing, bashing, prying, and cutting.

I wanted to share some pictures of what’s happening to our oceans. The amount of trash is staggering.

These shorelines have been cleaned multiple times over the years, and as you can see, results don’t last long.

The minuscule pile I’ve collected pales in comparison to what the ocean holds.

Lost of commercial fishing stuff, car parts, household items, and plastic everything under the sun.

Please be aware and do your part to reduce, reuse, recycle.

View attachment 1097899 View attachment 1097900 View attachment 1097901 View attachment 1097902 View attachment 1097903 View attachment 1097904 View attachment 1097905
This pisses me off. People should know better. :mad:

I needed to rouge a few isolations today and used the Ontario SP5. This knife is very well suited for this.

The Bowie swedge makes in easy to hook plants out of the way to target the off types.
The handle is comfortable and ergonomic for long sessions. The full flat grind slices well. The little bit of extra blade weight translates to less force needed on the swing. The short length makes it easier to target plants that are close together.

Overall using these blades makes a fairly boring task way more fun.

6FB81AED-A383-4131-B2E5-5DEC2845BF76.jpeg 8938046A-3FE4-4FF8-BF8F-D4FE8930C4C6.jpeg D2F99A02-9D9B-46B6-9E7E-E12347C98F55.jpeg CE7F7031-A940-4C00-BC32-D27A6614E0F8.jpeg

Back