Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play

I thought I’d immortalize this G-Shock in this thread.

I’ve had this thing for over ten years and never had to adjust the time. It’s on its second band, and that’s only because the keeper broke.

On occasion I scrub it with an old toothbrush and toothpaste.

Still on its original factory solar rechargeable battery.

If you are ever looking for a reliable and tough watch...I highly recommend this model.

View attachment 1210974 View attachment 1210975

That’s awesome! You definitely got your money’s worth with that G Shock.

Yes, another update to one of the best threads on this whole board! Gotta say, I completely missed your post where you cut all those plants with that Link. That was just wild. Talk about actual knife work, and sometimes yep, you gotta run what'cha brung! Glad to see you, brother.

Yes, another update to one of the best threads on this whole board! Gotta say, I completely missed your post where you cut all those plants with that Link. That was just wild. Talk about actual knife work, and sometimes yep, you gotta run what'cha brung! Glad to see you, brother.

Thanks Quiet Quiet I appreciate it man!

I have small wrists and I cannot wear big watches with comfort. We bought my dad a Casio Pro Trek like 20 years ago (triple sensor and all) and that thing is just impossible to carry on the wrist. It is so big that whenever you are pushing yourself up on a rock and bending your wrist up 90º, it leverages on the watch and the pins that hold the band have poped out a few times already. It always goes on the shoulder strap (the thermometer works much better that way, otherwise your body heat gives false readings).

I own one of the simplest Casio watches (square/rectangular face, time, countdown and alarms) that I use when I go spearfishing just to keep track of what time it is and try to keep my gf happy (now being too late). I usually replace the band twice or so before the watch itself breaks (usually in the pin sockets)

Mikel

I have small wrists and I cannot wear big watches with comfort. We bought my dad a Casio Pro Trek like 20 years ago (triple sensor and all) and that thing is just impossible to carry on the wrist. It is so big that whenever you are pushing yourself up on a rock and bending your wrist up 90º, it leverages on the watch and the pins that hold the band have poped out a few times already. It always goes on the shoulder strap (the thermometer works much better that way, otherwise your body heat gives false readings).

I own one of the simplest Casio watches (square/rectangular face, time, countdown and alarms) that I use when I go spearfishing just to keep track of what time it is and try to keep my gf happy (now being too late). I usually replace the band twice or so before the watch itself breaks (usually in the pin sockets)

Mikel

You are correct that these G Shocks are definitely bulky, and can also limit wrist/hand movement to an extent.

I also have one of the least expense Casio watches (A158WA)and find it to be much more comfortable as well, but not nearly as robust.

I guess I just have had really good luck overall with G Shocks with the exception of one particular model; the GA1000 series. The band kept breaking and the battery life was very short at around two years.

The model shown above has a neat “screw in band” that has never caused the band to separate. I also had good results with the GD350 having similar type band attachments.

Still...they are all definitely bulky.

Thanks for stopping in and sharing your experience!

Well I’ve put this little Kissing Crane through its paces. One of the scales is coming off, but overall it’s served well enough. It was used for about 35 work days to pick crappy kernels off ears.

Action is still good, and the steel has held up well.

How about mixing some epoxy glue, pushing it in there (utility blade for example), clampinging (not SO hard to avoid squeezing out all the material) and wiping the excess with some qtips (moisted in acetone)? Maybe you can still save it.

Mikel

How about mixing some epoxy glue, pushing it in there (utility blade for example), clampinging (not SO hard to avoid squeezing out all the material) and wiping the excess with some qtips (moisted in acetone)? Maybe you can still save it.

Mikel

That’s a great idea. The little knife has served well...might be worth a little bit of TLC in gratitude of its service!

AE12F62D-E8AA-4DC3-9968-96AA6D456EFD.jpeg I was extremely fortunate to have won a giveaway hosted by sheathmaker @azwelke.

His work is top notch and worth considering upgrading any existing factory sheath. They are practical, well made, and made this BK7 a complete kit that I feel safer carrying on a belt or pack.

Thanks again Al!

Pics were taken at the first church built by Queen Liliuokalani for her people on the island of Molokai.

A truly special place.
6F1052B4-586A-43E6-A858-6D722AB93253.jpeg 2F4B748A-F7E1-40A6-90CD-0CD9F0753838.jpeg D43291BF-2CB2-4530-B6DB-B71D67A077E4.jpeg 7575D77D-0013-4322-BA32-D3CF8F0BD1D6.jpeg

Nothing beats the roundish handle of an Opinel (if we talk folders) for whittling! Hard to get any hotspots with them. Granted they don't come with a clip, but you cannot have it all.

Great pictures as always! And those kydex pants for the beckers look awesome. Did you make any of them yourself? Not that difficult once you gather all the items (rivets, rivet tool, oven if you don't want to use the kitchen one, press....).

Mikel

Nothing beats the roundish handle of an Opinel (if we talk folders) for whittling! Hard to get any hotspots with them. Granted they don't come with a clip, but you cannot have it all.

Great pictures as always! And those kydex pants for the beckers look awesome. Did you make any of them yourself? Not that difficult once you gather all the items (rivets, rivet tool, oven if you don't want to use the kitchen one, press....).

Mikel

Opinels are indeed very comfortable to use. I have several and have enjoyed their performance and charm for many years.

The sheaths for the Becker knives where made by Azwelke. If you have time you should visit his website at www.azwelke.com to see his offerings.

I have not made any myself at this point in my life. Thanks for the kind words!

Chiming in! More beautiful shots. I'm actually genuinely surprised that the clip gave you trouble on the Buck Lightweight. I have looked at those before, and definitely like the pics of it here. Of course, I'd probably not put it through the paces you have with yours! Also, love those Beckers!

Chiming in! More beautiful shots. I'm actually genuinely surprised that the clip gave you trouble on the Buck Lightweight. I have looked at those before, and definitely like the pics of it here. Of course, I'd probably not put it through the paces you have with yours! Also, love those Beckers!

Good morning Quiet Quiet and nice to hear from you!

The clip snapping was pretty weird. The tension was perfect and it was designed well in regards to ease of clipping and unclipping from my pocket.

The first time it happened I didn’t even notice until I went to draw it from my pocket and noticed the only thing left was the top bend.

Buck’s fantastic customer service sent me a new clip, screws (with Loctite pre-applied) and a coupon rush delivery. Very cool.

I put it on and within two weeks it snapped again after catching on the edge of a picnic table as I was standing.

I’m gonna chalk this one up to my general clumsiness...haha!

I have no desire to ask for another clip, as I think Buck has done more than enough for me. I still use and enjoy the knife.

I have a 112 Slim Pro that has the same clip and so far no issues with that one.

Becker’s are a lot of fun! They have a unique appeal for me for several reasons.

They are affordable.
The heat treat is very good for a large scale production knife.
They are fun to modify.
Ethan Becker himself.
Actually have decent cutting geometry.
They look cool (subjective understandably).
The Becker forum has a fantastic group of people.
Ka-Bar is still hanging on and making many of their products in the US.

Anywho, hope you’re having a good week and have a safe Halloween!

Back