HD Sog Trident (folder) idea

Would anyone else besides me want to see a heavy duty iteration of the Trident , you know VG-10, Arc-Lock, G-10? Maybe add a glass breaker?

Yes! In order for that knife to be successful, it needs to be more heavy duty! I was a little disapointed in it's contruction when I first got it. It was a decent knife though. I hate AUS 8, maybe if they upgraded the steel, it would hold an edge long enough to use the cord cutting option. Yes to a glass breaker, and g10 scales! That would be sweeeeet.

I could see these things doing well for the Flash II and Aegis lines as well. I would pay a little more for better materials. Maybe not the glass breaker for those lines though. It wouldn't really change the Trident for me though. I have never warmed up to the handle shape, size, or cord cutter.

I get it...kind of.

I carry my trident quite often. It is my light duty knife that I keep most accessible should I REALLY need it. For harder EDC tasks, I keep a more heavily constructed blade around. I think it fills a nice niche in the lightweight 3.75 in blade class.

The knife being described is a totally different knife for a different purpose IMO. And a different price point.

The cord cutter is stupid IMO. I just ignore the fact that it exists on mine :)

It would be nice if they could start putting steel liners in their knives. I would be happy if they stopped using zytel.

I love how light the zytel is but it does give them a cheap feel. Using G-10 here would be a nice upgrade and should not cost too much more. Adding steel liners would contribute significantly to the weight. Using just G-10 is sufficient toughness. My Recon 1 is tuff as nails with just G-10 (no liners) and doesn't have that cheap zytel feel. Back to point though, if SOG made some of their SAT folders with higher end materials, and made them without serrations, I, and many others would buy one of each.

Considering the actual web price of the Trident I think it is a good beater knife. I got my Tanto blade version for about $55. Certainly better than the Gerber FAST Draw design, at least in the current Chinese built iteration which is all I am familiar with. Agree about the uselessness of the cord cutter for most users though.

I think the Trident is fine the way it is. The weight is great at 3.6 ounces thanks to the zytel handle. That deep carry pocket clip is nice.
They could eliminate that cord cutter though.

What's the point ? They would just screw it up by producing it with serrations only.:thumbdn::thumbdn:

The point is, maybe they wouldn't screw it up and put serrations on it.. Sheez, so much for positivity Thursday.

Back