HDFK: Random Impressions

Smaller than I thought, lighter than I expected. TeroTuf is a beautiful shade of gray streaked with black. Does not provide as confident a grip as Resiprene-C, but the outstanding ergonomics of the handle more than make up for it. My initial thought was that Nathan, Lorien and I may share the same hand size :) . Mashed Cat sheath is minimal enough, retention is excellent without being difficult to deploy. I have two bail-out bags, of which the HDFK has already replaced the SFNO as the main blade. After handling the HDFK, I may end up bypassing the FK 2.0. Need one for the second BOB and another with schmoo to keep by the bedside.

I'm CPK-HDFK's biggest self-appointed cheerleader to-date! In fact in the overall size, ergo, value, utilitarian matrix of all the different Carothers Knives which I own, it'd my # 1 choice for a bug out bag or GTFO situation. I'm not familiar with BUSSE or BUSSE derivative knives, therefore I'm unfamiliar with the softer plastic handle which Adam has mentioned, but I personally prefer the harder handle material of canvas micarta or the quasi-wood. As far as the weight goes, the HDFK aka NASK at 12.9 oz is by no means a light weight. In fact, the FBF Camp Knife comes in at 13.9 oz and I think that Nathan brilliantly managed to reduce a similarly sized HDFK by 1 oz in weight with the fuller implementation.

I think that CPK will sell as many of these that Nathan wishes to produce. If I get over my current guilty feelings of always wanting to placate to my desires, I may even pick up a 3rd one :D

I much prefer TeroTuf to Res-C, Lot of people (Busse) like it, I AM NOT ONE OF THEM! To each is own though, everybody has their likes and dislikes :D Congratulations on your HDFKl;):thumbsup:

Last edited:
this thread is a great start to the day for me :)

Pics.....?

Vt0JG44.jpg

You're antique micarta looks awesome Mat! Is you're other one black canvas or Tero Tuf?

Unbuffed Canvas Micarta Sir Gus :)

All future intended workers will be in unbuffed micarta as I tried the terotuf and although it was the grippiest of CPK scales I had ever handled, it just was not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. However, if I lived somewhere really humid and wet like the BC area up North or WA State, I'd be ordering more in TT ;)

The handles on the HDFK feel great! It's pretty close in size to the FBF Camp knife. I was happy to find out that my HDFK fits perfectly in my Camp knife sheath from JouFuu Leather. Here's a comp pic with my Custom Shop Camp which is also in 3V, but not Delta 3V. :thumbsup:;)
Ir5jUlv.jpg
echSdK1.jpg
HGtNKd8.jpg

Of course the Mashedcat sheath is excellent too!
nqGdFaf.jpg

Here's another glamour shot :D
ZaP5c9C.jpg

I much prefer TeroTuf to Res-C, Lot of people (Busse) like it, I AM NOT ONE OF THEM! To each is own though, everybody has their likes and dislikes :D Congratulations on your HDFKl;):thumbsup:
Me too. Red-C felt a little sticky in the hand to me. It always leave me with an impression that the handle is "dirty"...like corroded rubber. I prefer TeroTuf and Micarta

Back