1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Head knife design.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by JTknives, Aug 13, 2019.

1. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I have been wanting to cut some head knives for a while and now that the cnc is in full swing I think now is the time to get it queued up and in line. I’m Thinking .082 15n20 stock would be a good starting point considering I can thin it out later after heat treat, Or some thin Abel. But I’m not a leather worker so I’m hooking for a good design(s) to draw up. Seams like there are a handful of shapes and sizes. Anyone got any styles thy like?

2. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    JT.....Cool idea...There was a discussion not to long ago in "Sheaths and Such" about head knife designs. I recall both Paul Long @sheathmaker and Dave Ferry @Horsewright were big contributors to design thoughts you might post in that Forum for additional ideas and feedback.:thumbsup:

Coy Ranch likes this.
  3. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Willie71 and coldsteelburns like this.
  4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah go a lot thinner. Both Paul and I like .040 or in that neighbor hood. I've become enamored with asymmetrical roundknives as opposed to symmetrical. They are more useful to me and how I work. That thread above that Ken posted will help a lot.

To show ya how handy these guys are I have three out on my workbench. That way I can grab one from anywhere around the bench. Still the only tool that never gets put away.

gudspelr, Ken H> and Nick Dunham like this.
  5. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    Edit: Somehow I missed Ken's post with the link already shared in it. Whoops

~Paul
    My YoutubeChannel
    ... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Ken H> likes this.
  6. tmerkl

tmerkl

Jan 8, 2007
    I was just reading that same thread in the sheath section. Downloaded the drawing to make one but if you're going to do a run of them I'll gladly get in line for it.

7. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    one i did a while back was also asymmetrical. the buyer was tickeled with it and he shows it off everywhere (helps thats its an integral bolster)