Head knife design.

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
I have been wanting to cut some head knives for a while and now that the cnc is in full swing I think now is the time to get it queued up and in line. I’m Thinking .082 15n20 stock would be a good starting point considering I can thin it out later after heat treat, Or some thin Abel. But I’m not a leather worker so I’m hooking for a good design(s) to draw up. Seams like there are a handful of shapes and sizes. Anyone got any styles thy like?

JT.....Cool idea...There was a discussion not to long ago in "Sheaths and Such" about head knife designs. I recall both Paul Long @sheathmaker and Dave Ferry Horsewright Horsewright were big contributors to design thoughts you might post in that Forum for additional ideas and feedback.:thumbsup:

Yeah go a lot thinner. Both Paul and I like .040 or in that neighbor hood. I've become enamored with asymmetrical roundknives as opposed to symmetrical. They are more useful to me and how I work. That thread above that Ken posted will help a lot.

To show ya how handy these guys are I have three out on my workbench. That way I can grab one from anywhere around the bench. Still the only tool that never gets put away.

I was just reading that same thread in the sheath section. Downloaded the drawing to make one but if you're going to do a run of them I'll gladly get in line for it.

one i did a while back was also asymmetrical. the buyer was tickeled with it and he shows it off everywhere (helps thats its an integral bolster)

Back