Off Topic Hearing Protection <shooting>

CC76CDBF-0C01-402D-9603-2CB0B4910CF1.jpeg 3C0FDA22-8341-4C28-A358-6A4E988A37F6.jpeg I put the Peltors over my Bluetooth hearing aids. The hearing aids boost the higher frequencies (my required correction). When used together, I can adjust the overall volume going to my ears. I can hear the whole spectrum of sound at my desired level. The amplifier circuit in the earcups clips the bangs.
I can be comfortable in most environments. I wear these while driving on long trips, in noisy bars and restaurants, in concerts and theaters, sporting events, fireworks events, etc. When asked why I am wearing cups, I say I am trying to save what is left of my hearing. Everybody gets it when the dB’s exceed 80. The decibel meter on my phone lets me know when protection is required.
I use 2 Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries. A rocker switch allows one handed operation for on/ off and volume.

I wear a silencerco most of the time but when I'm with other guys shooting I have a pair of Howard Leights

MSA Sordins over foamies. I'm damn near deaf from shooting 30K rounds a year of USPSA Major with only foamies. I'm trying to save what little I have left!

Yea the VA guy asked “Well why didn’t you wear hearing pro?”

To which I responded:”Let me layout a scenario. I’m dug into a fighting hole, to one side I have an M1 Abram that shoots a round so big that it MOVES a 20+ ton machine. To the other side there is an AMTRAC firing off full auto MK19s, there are jets flying over and dropping ordinance, helos and then us. Needless to say, there isn’t a hearing protection that would help, much less the little foam roll up ones they gave us!”

Crickets

Lately I've been getting emails selling litigation support services for an allegedly emerging area of litigation regarding 3M Combat Arms Earplugs, Version 2 (CAEv2) issued between 2003-2015. It is alleged that they have a design defect that causes them to imperceptibly loosen in the ear canal, rendering the earplugs ineffective leading to tinnitus and hearing loss. So even it was nothing but small arms fire, the earplugs they issued you might not have provided the mil-spec level of protection.

(I'm a lawyer in real life, but I do not play one on the Interwebs. This is not legal advice or a solicitation. Just passing on information that some might find useful.)

Back