Heat treat oven passed away today. Whose got the best deals now?

My old Evenheat oven had been on life support for awhile and it finally conked out right in the middle of a heat treat cycle of D2….got up to 1325 degrees and the heating element disintegrated. It was at least 25 or so years old so I suppose I’ve gotten my money’s worth. Hope this doesn’t ruin the steel but have no way of knowing at this point.

I need an oven and obviously need one ASAP. Any ideas on who might be the best to contact? I’m leaning towards Evenheat again but will listen to others opinions.

Thanks for any help.

Can you get a new heating element for your Evenheat? If not, maybe you can make your own, winding coils is pretty simple and it would get you back up and running pretty quick.

Paragon makes those fancy new multi-zone jobbers... If I was gonna buy a ht oven that's what I would go after.

I’m with Hubert. Unless the insulating firebrick is totally disintegrating, or the controller has, like, smoke coming out of it, just replacing the coils is really straightforward (if, that is, the process makes sense to you). Not sure, but it is possible evenheat just has a straight up replacement. Otherwise, with a little research (re wire diameter and the power of your oven), raw iconel wire is dirt cheap on the web, and there are lots of resources out there that demonstrate winding the wire and fitting it to your oven.

Put another way, you could spend $2000 and wait 2 months for a new oven, or you could spend $20 for wire, and could be back up and running in one week ......

Just food for thought 😊

I just got an Evenheat from Soul Ceramics and the wait was 15 weeks. Everything seems to be slow these days.

My old Evenheat oven had been on life support for awhile and it finally conked out right in the middle of a heat treat cycle of D2….got up to 1325 degrees and the heating element disintegrated. It was at least 25 or so years old so I suppose I’ve gotten my money’s worth. Hope this doesn’t ruin the steel but have no way of knowing at this point.

I need an oven and obviously need one ASAP. Any ideas on who might be the best to contact? I’m leaning towards Evenheat again but will listen to others opinions.

Thanks for any help.
Just replace the elements.

If you want something new though the current best all around HT furnace is the KO 22.5 with solid state drive and SDS TAP controller.

Best combination of features, performance, long term maintenance and price.

I just got an Evenheat from Soul Ceramics and the wait was 15 weeks. Everything seems to be slow these days.
Yep. Called them today. Fourteen + week shipping. I was considering them a little over a year ago and it was the same wait then.

Just replace the elements.

If you want something new though the current best all around HT furnace is the KO 22.5 with solid state drive and SDS TAP controller.

Best combination of features, performance, long term maintenance and price.
Calling Evenheat tomorrow. It’s a 22.5“ model. I have short but muscular arms…..re Wiring should be fun.

Calling Evenheat tomorrow. It’s a 22.5“ model. I have short but muscular arms…..re Wiring should be fun.
You can save time and just buy an element pack for 22.5" for your specific model from knife supplier.

Elements die, it's what they are here for.

It's a consumable.

Might wanna change out your Thermocouple while your at it.

sold my 18 a bit ago cause i planned on upgrading to an 22LB wait times suck but i hahve a bunch of new house work to be doing gwhile i wait i also kept a spare ellement for the kiln around just in case. like said i woudl change out the elements and run it if i was in your shoes swap the temp probe if you hahve not already.

I think the Paragon 3-zone is worth checking out
Nah, maintenance is a nightmare if an element goes down, you have to replace a whole section for $$$.

Also the ceramic fiber bricks are faster but the consequence is they don't hold heat as good.

Evenheat also has better customer service.

Nah, maintenance is a nightmare if an element goes down, you have to replace a whole section for $$$.

Also the ceramic fiber bricks are faster but the consequence is they don't hold heat as good.

Evenheat also has better customer service.
Alright. But the 3 zone concept is appealing, in deeper furnaces.

Anyone have experience with the Jen ken front loader fiber ovens? I like the top elements only inside quartz tubes not sure how hard they are to replace but looks nice and more affordable than comparable even heat with TAP and SSR.

Anyone have experience with the Jen ken front loader fiber ovens? I like the top elements only inside quartz tubes not sure how hard they are to replace but looks nice and more affordable than comparable even heat with TAP and SSR.
What I have. Heats up fast and holds temperature. Haven’t had a single issue with mine

If I were you I would contact the guys at Evenheat and tell them your story. I bet they will reward a kiln owner of 20+ years with a discount of some sort.

If I were you I would contact the guys at Evenheat and tell them your story. I bet they will reward a kiln owner of 20+ years with a discount of some sort.
Called em today and ordered two elements @ $86 each. No discount! This should be fin to install when I get em in.

Got my elements in yesterday and wired that baby up like I was a born again electrician. Fired her up and brought it up to temp and so far so good. Many thanks to the forum Illuminati who made that suggestion. As far as I can tell, you guys saved me about two grand.

Thanx!!!

Last edited:
Got my elements in yesterday and wired that baby up to tight like I was a born again electrician. Fired her up and brought it up to temp and so far so good. Many thanks to the forum Illuminati who made that suggestion. As far as I can tell, you guys saved me about two grand.

Thanx!!!
After you have used it, check your connections as the movement of heat can loosen things. However the elements can become brittle so don't move them when you do.

Back