Heat treat ?

bubbaskyjacker

Gold Member
So the new SK series states Delta heat treat , are the GSO’s D3V also. If so when. I have a GSO 5.1 I got about 2 years ago.

Just to be painfully clear, the GSO 4.7 wasn't the 3V delta heat treat either.
Everything Survive produces in 3V after those first two "new spec" models uses the D3V heat treat.

It will then be created by , Heaters Pete Treat, Kan Deffler, Suy G. K!S and Mathan the Nachine.

Edit- un historical accuracy

Last edited:
It will then be created by , Heaters Pete Treat and Nathan the Machine.

Just a quick clarification, for historical accuracy, the Delta Heat Treatment was created by Nathan Carothers (aka Nathan the Machinist) in collaboration with Guy S. (S!K) and Dan Keffeler. This is why only them three can use Delta Heat treat. They implemented the protocol at Peters HT to increase output; however, Peters HT is 'allowed' to heat treat with the Delta protocol only their knives.
Now, before the Delta Protocol, there was another low temp protocol (without a name) created by Nathan and implemented at Peters HT - this is different&better than the 'industry standard' which is a high temp protocol. I believe that this low-temp protocol can be used by others/not restricted.
As Fancier pointed out, the New spec 5.1 (first release) and 4.7 do not have the Delta Protocol for 3V. However, as far as I know, they do have the predecessor low temp heat treat - still very good (especially corrosion resistance), just not Delta 3V.
Starting with the new spec 4.1, the 3V GSO and S!K line should all have the Delta Protocol Heat Treat. Until something better comes along, I guess...
There are a few threads (which I can't find right now) about this on Bladeforums.. To learn more about the Delta 3V and differences from other HT, I would recommend reading everything that Nathan wrote in his sub-forum and the other sub-forums; better yet, I would read everything he's written :)

Cheers,
C.

Back