Heat Treatment - Crystal Weaving Foundation

Let's see how stable edge of 67.5rc 10V at 7.25dps in cutting 1" diameter sisal rope.

7:04 video

Edge after cut (at worst area)

VWp5Cfi.jpg

Seems somewhat ductile for such a high hardness metal.:)
Indeed it sure exhibited excellent range of plasticity. I knew (expected) this behavior based on how 10v 67rc at 7.25dps data shown. This magnacut at 7.5 dps (straight razor bevel) edge would also not strong enough to cut *as tested* materials. In order support (not readily visible damages) 7.5dps edge for these tasks, specimen need at least 66rc and 15+% carbide volume. Maybe I will test 1 or 2 among K690 67rc, T15 66.5rc, Zmax 67.6rc or 15V 67rc at ~7.5dps. This would provide additional data to guide/select parameters for next metal sequencing experiment.

Looking into how 10%Co responded to sequencing especially at very thin cross section. Zmax 67.5rc

Sharpened with edgepro at 7dps, finished with 1200 grit diamond waterstone.

8:54 video

mJV5Bdt.jpg

didnt do so well this time eh?
Compare to: Magnacut 64rc 5dps with similar hard whittled pork rib bone. *pretend a parity comparison (zmax 3.5rc extra cancelled MC 2dps thinner)

d94q1rD.jpg

As long I use Fe+C system as research material. Result strength & toughness are bounded to limitation of Van der Waals matrix mitigated(by sequencing) 7% of TG structure. Upcoming sequence target 15%, if achieved so - conservative projection is 30-40% gain.

Instead of 15 degrees per side make it 18 degree and we have WINNER !! I would really like to see someone else make test like this one with same steel and with standard HT protocol.........:p
Keep in mind, even at 18dps - an keen/sharp edge would still be damage from chopping beef rib bone, though would be much smaller. Other than chop stuff like bone or nial, 15dps look fine for normal usage.

Yup, would be interesting to see someone perform same test (same edge geometry) using std/conventional ht.

Thanks for the time you put into your testing. As a knife maker the testing you perform show me how a steel will perform being subjected to real world uses. I'm my opinion this is the sort of testing that you base its performance on.
Thanks. I agreed, knife performance should base on real-world testing. Therefore knife 'Usability' usage test. In general, my tests are using thin cross section to observe & measure material interaction properties & performance(context of knife and other usages)

Research results are trending toward drastic increased in toughness and with slight dropped in peak strength(hrc is an indicator not a measurement of strength). 64rc Magnacut test clearly reflects excess toughness and insufficient of strength for impact against very hard materials, whence 66rc(not likely achievable hrc) magnacut would performs these test tasks better. This research shows new paradigm of almost discouppling toughness & strength rather than conventional toughness inverse proportional to strength.
Current calc/projection, next metal sequencing will further dropped 1+ hrc for most steels and increase wear+corrosion resistances. Will target maximum hrc, hopefully MS..TG15 hardness will be similar to (currently tested) MS..TG7.

Edge geometry at 7 degrees per side (dps) is very thin (thinner than straight razor edge). Test to see what it can support, all the way to fracture points.
Sharpened with edgepro to 1200 grit diamond stone at 7dps angle.

D2 64.5rc

8:42 video

S8f3LeK.jpg

Last edited:
Steels lineup for upcoming experiment - MS TF0_SBF1_TG15. Vars values config for max/peak hardness in rc to compensate calculated 1rc drop due to doubling TG from 7 to 15%.

If curiosity of steels not in this batch, your suggestion will be consider - esp when I've blade/blank in those steels.

vNzGQPB.jpg

I will wrap these blades by tomorrow and begin 4 austenite heats (2100, 2050, 1960, 1435F) then 15-24 days metal sequencing.

In the mean time, will continue to test TF0_SBF1_3DTG7 blades in various tasks with different edge geometry.

Comparing edge performance of 11 steels at 7dps in cutting 1" diameter sisal rope and bamboo chopstick.

10V 67.5rc, 15V 67rc, 26C3 65rc, D6 66.5rc, M4 65.5rc, M398 66.5rc, Magnacut 64rc, S35VN 64.5rc, S90V 65rc, T-15 66.5rc, Z-Wear 65rc.

8:28 video

VHy63Sc.jpg

Back