heating 154cm in a fire

Hi Im making a knife out of 154cm and Ive looked everywhere and cant find instructions on heating the knife in a fire. No I dont have a furnace and wont buy one, Im doing this ghetto style. Just need basic instructions on this part. I was gonna put it in a fire until red then quench it in canola oil, any help would be nice.

Proper ghetto heat treating is done thusly:
Find someone who has the skills and proper equipment to heat treat stainless, and pay them to do it for you.
Your method won't work.

It's really simple: hold it at 1950 for 25 minutes, then quench. About as easy as can be. Just purely ghetto.

BTW, did you plan on selling this knife shaped object when you are done? Best peddle it in the ghetto, or somewhere that your customer base knows nothing of steel.

Some steels you can heat and quench, but 154CM isn't one of them.

Gene

You have some options -

Read the stickies, maybe buy some 1084 and home heat treat

Send off the 154cm for heat treat

Don't heat treat, make the blade anyways - this is a big waste and time and money but will still probably be better than heat treating stainless in a fire. If you do heat treat the 154cm in the fire I want to see the handle fire shaped as well! OK just kidding about this entire option.

Can you list them?

I guess ill send it to texasknife.com for heat treat

Check this for a breakdown on steel selection http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...lection-for-Beginning-Knifemakers-My-Thoughts

1084 will work well after you learn to control your heat with a homemade charcoal powered forge, you can quench in canola.

If you are sending off you have a ton of options, I'd find something budget friendly and easy to work. The 154cm you would like to use would be a good candidate, it is harder than some steels to finish after heat treat but overall a great steel to start with.

Back