Heavy antique sword or machete

Lbj

Good Day - I'm a new member, so if I not where I should be in this forum, please direct me to a better way or section of the forum to help me identify what I believe to be a very old sword/machete. It is just over 26 inches and the blade is 19 1/2 inches. The hilt seems to be of cast brass/bronze with a single "Pin/rivet" through the grip. The blade is app. 2 1/4" wide and app 5/16" thick with two rows of large and relative sharp saw teeth, 1/4" deep and 1/2" long. I've tried to insert a picture and hope it will be included here. Thanks in advance for any information you might have on this type of sword.
Swords]Old%20Sword%20with%20saw%20teeth

Good Day - I'm a new member, so if I not where I should be in this forum, please direct me to a better way or section of the forum to help me identify what I believe to be a very old sword/machete. It is just over 26 inches and the blade is 19 1/2 inches. The hilt seems to be of cast brass/bronze with a single "Pin/rivet" through the grip. The blade is app. 2 1/4" wide and app 5/16" thick with two rows of large and relative sharp saw teeth, 1/4" deep and 1/2" long. I've tried to insert a picture and hope it will be included here. Thanks in advance for any information you might have on this type of sword.
Swords]Old%20Sword%20with%20saw%20teeth
Obviously failed to get image into the posting, so if anyone can give me some guidance for how to upload a picture into a reply I would appreciate it.

Obviously failed to get image into the posting, so if anyone can give me some guidance for how to upload a picture into a reply I would appreciate it.

Go to imgur.com and click the button to add a post, then drag and drop the pics. After they load, at the top right of the photos is a little menu for link options, click it and select the one for BBC code / forums. Copy that link and paste it here. Viola!

Does not compute. We cannot access your device address. You need to pay and upload here, or use an image hosting site. Please not Facebook unless you share a link to your pages and allow public access.

wHcBLNp.png

With a sawback, it is an engineers/artillery/sappers/pioneer hanger of the 18th-19th century

If you can't figure out uploading (that screenshot and posted image link is from imgur) to and using imgur, send them in email to gcleeton@gmail.com and I'll get them up.

Cheers
GC

A wild assed guess is you are describing a Russian 1827 pioneer sword
EW015-Sword_Pioneer_650.jpg

Last edited:
GC,

Wow! That was a great WAG if I've ever seen one. Think you should get the Blue Ribbon for the day. While I'm screwing around trying to get my picture in, you've already came up with the answer! The sword in your picture is in much better shape than mine and I do not have the scabbard, but there is no doubt in my mine you hit the nail on the head. Hope my image comes through this time.
rZpLOxj.jpg

https://imgur.com/RUgjHYr

Last edited:
Ha, that's awesome. You can't get that lucky... he must know a thing or two.

There is no doubt in my mind that he knows more than a thing or two. I'm more than a little impressed. I tried to give a thorough description, but had no expectations for a perfect id without a picture. The second picture, at link address, I tried to focus more on the hilt and that really matches GC's picture.

GC....THANKS!

Last edited:
GC,
With your great info, it only takes a little internet research to see that the 1827 in the model year and they were used extensively during the Crimean War in the 1850s. But, have not found anything on how long they might have been produced. Do you know how long they were made in order to have a window for its age? Thanks in advance.

Amazingly, I am a novice regarding Russian swords but in the course of my own studies, I have encountered them and your hints were pretty much spot on.

A friend stopped by our tables in 2007 and I was pretty impressed with the example he shared.

ixaP0XU.jpg

Aside from any and all marks or numbers on the blade and guard, I wouldn't hazard a definitive date. That I would leave to the experts and most have moved to groups. There are still a few spots to try and two would be
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?11-Antique-amp-Military-Sword-Forum
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12

There have been reproductions of these and I don't really have a clue as to what to look for, aside from marks and numbers. There are often a few on ebay and other spots and now with the key in hand, you may turn up exactly what you seek. I recall a couple of Russian dealer sites but don't have bookmarks. The auction listings will give you some rough guides.

You didn't say a rooster or eagle handle, so the 1827 was the best fit I could think of ;)
Cheers
GC
!BV8Gn5!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLltsWbBKV!6KUcg!~~_3.JPG

Could be like a game with Horseclover: Identify that sword!

Such as, "Horseclover, I have this sword. It's curved, with a brass loop thing that goes around the knuckles. There is some sort of two-headed animal thing on the side of the blade by the handle, and a pokey thing at the top of the handle. Do you know what date it was made?" :D

Last edited:
I wonder how do u guys find such swords! I have never seen an old timer sword physically. I wish I could see 1 and feel the depth of time..

Actually, I'm not even a collector, but kind of fell into it, when I inherited three nice swords from an elderly friend. In addition to the Russian 1827 above, I received a French 1842 Yataghan sword/bayonet and a British Royal Artillery sword. This gentleman was a Capt in the USAF and stationed in England in 1952 and believe that he was given all three by his landlady at the time, who was in her mid-60s. Believe the British sword to have been her father's and the other two could have been war trophies from the Crimean war and brought back to England by her grandfather.
Although not a real "collector", I do like blades and have a little more than a dozen nice 20th century hunting knives and bayonets.

That is very nice of him to give you these swords! I guess these days people don't have enough heart to gave up something like this! Lucky U Man!

Back