Heavy weight backpacking / hunting problem - am I normal?

First post and we are already talking aboug glutes... that's my kind of thread!!! :D:D

Being a metric guy I had to translate it to kg's to get a fair idea of what we were talking about. seems like 50 pounds is like 23kg.

When I was younger, much more stupid and didn't have the propper gear, I hauled that kind of weight quite a few times during nomad summer camps (at school). If is not fun, no matter how you look at it. Most of us carried inner framed packs and so I did. It took me a while to understand how high and how tight the hipbelt had to be in order not to ruin my glutes and the area below the hips.

I believe that having hiperlordosis (more than normal lumbar curve) could actually be an advantage, as the pack, if the hipbelt loosens up with time while walking (or by the fabric, webbing stretching or whatever) will end up on top of your butt instead of sliding further down. Time to pull it up and retighten.

The weight distribution does not neccesarily need to be 100% hips / 0% shoulder straps. If need be, you could adjust to have even 60/40. If you are walking on the flat it will work, if you are scrambling, you may want to ligthen the load on the shoulder straps.

After my summer camp years the only instances i have carried that much weight is when we decided to go for a 2 week outing with everything we might need and then some. We also carried crampons and one ice axe each because we were going to cross glaciers (late spring, early summer). Also, the gear was much heavier.

Right now I am pretty sure I could do the very same things and live with the very same comfort with easily 2/3rds of the weight or even less. Ligther packs, ligther stoves/pots, ligther tents and sleeping bags... And not only carry ligther, but also carry less stuff and carry smarter.

Anyway, I would give your pack list a good thought... 23kgs on your back is no fun!

Back