hello and question about 3&4 for e&e and edc

Wow allot of abbreviations in this title, sorry :)
I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hello and a thank you for all the great information.
I have been a fan of Jeff's for a while and enjoy the Esee line of knives.

My question is for everyday carry with e&e, disaster, knife which would be more practical for inside the waist band carry. Is there a big difference between the 3 and 4 besides the obvious blade length?

And for a knife of this purpose would the glass breaker pommel be a plus, i.e. for scrapping, scoring, or chipping out mortar, or a hindrance i.e. keep sticking your side or hand when it is in the inside the waist sheath?

I tried searches and did not find one that fits, if I missed it i'm sorry.
From my searches I think the serrations might be a benefit. I am not a fan of serrations, last year hiking had to peel an apple for a child with my spyderco serrated knife, not pretty:) Thank you for your time and advice.

I'm not a fan of serrations either. I would go with the 3MIL.

Last edited:
None of those would be practical for E&E IMO, something like the titanium blade ESEE sells or a small folding razor that can be hidden easily.

Thank you so far, I already have a small e&e kit with the razor and saw but a good stout fixed blade knife can get you out of a bind:) so I still am willing to carry a 3 or 4, but I dont know which. I'm concerned about the glass breaker sticking the user but I don't knw any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

First, other than the 4 being a bit longer, it is also a bit thicker(3 is 1/8" & 4 is 3/16"). And, second, you can get them without glass breakers. I bought my boy a modified pommel version, and I like it. I'm sure in a disaster situation you could find some piece of debris to bust some glass. And, that's a big "if" the glass isn't already broken. Busting out mortar, hmm, can't say I've done any of that, but I bet the weight of the tool used would be a plus. 3s & 4s are light as feathers, IMO. The 5 would do better, I guess. I'd carry the 5 if it were me. I think I might get a 5... yeah... I think I will. I sold one to Low, and I miss having it around. Yep, a 5 with a fully loaded sheath sounds mighty fine. LOL

The '4 is heavier and has poor balance, in my opinion (I'm not alone).

Both will work for...anything :D

Hold both and decide, or just do what I did and order both. The '4 looks great in my safe, and would be more useful in a real emergency than an extra $100 in my bank account or 401K.

I use the '3 for everything now.

just get both. i did. like the 4 but a little bigger than i like for edc. put in on my day hike bag and edc a 3s mil and a izula. all these knives are tough as nails but i will say the 3 mil is my fav.

This is like asking if I love my wife or my dog more. For safety, I will not elaborate. :D

If you're going to be carrying it IWB all the time I'd go with the 3.

The 4 is my favorite ESEE due to the additional blade length and 3/16" thickness (over the 1/8" of the 3) but either will serve you well.

Welcome aboard.

The '4 is heavier and has poor balance, in my opinion (I'm not alone).

Both will work for...anything :D

Hold both and decide, or just do what I did and order both. The '4 looks great in my safe, and would be more useful in a real emergency than an extra $100 in my bank account or 401K.

I use the '3 for everything now.

the 4 has poor balance for...throwing, chopping, collecting dust in the safe, etc.? :D

What are you planning on escaping and evading? If I'm a half-ass decent cop or captor then I will take any blade we make off off you when I take you captive. E&E blades need to be hidden very well and even then I'd strip the person down to no clothes if I I was taking someone prisoner. None of our regular line will allow being hidden well enough to excape detection by a cop or anyone esle for that matter. I think you may be looking for a reliable knife to use for survival, not E&E, no?

thank you all, Im not talking about e&e from captors but more to get out of situations, such as getting out of an auto if trapped inside. This actually happended to my parents when they hit a patch of black ice and went through the guard rail and into a ravine. It was only about four feet deep but the seatbelt locked and had to be cut in order to get out. The door still opened but it was a scary situation. We now all have those seatbelt cutter, window breakers in our cars, but your not always in your car.

I like having a small stout fixed blade knife if I have to get out or get into something. so i decided on the number four, I figured it was a good compromise between size and function.

Thank you all for your views on this.

And I could be wrong but the hest is no longer made in a fixed version, correct?
thanks again

Back