Hello from the Blade Show West

From table H1 in the Pacific Ballroom at the Doubletree Hotel in Costa Mesa, CA, with my laptop hooked up - Hi there!
biggrin.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

This ain't a show where too many companies introduce products, for me to take teaser pics on my digicam, but I may get a chance to move around a little tomorrow when The Wife comes down to help watch the table.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

James,

Could you get a few shots of the wares on Vince Evans' and Bugei's tables and post them on the Sword Discussion Forums? We would LOVE to see those there.

PLEASE!!!

biggrin.gif

Hi James! Pics would be great, knives, makers, and BF's members, you can hold off on the knives that ain't put together (like the COSMOS last time).

Have a great show!

Have fun James. Hope it will be a great show for you. (Never been to a bad knife show though)
biggrin.gif

------------------
" I am continually reminded of the rewards of dealing with custom knife makers and the custom knife community." Jeff J.

Hey all. I just got back from the show and had a great time.

James, it was a pleasure to meet and do a little business with you. Best of luck for the rest of the weekend.

Some other BFC notables I had the good fortune to meet today included:

Tom Mayo- Definitely at the top of the list of outstanding folks I met today. If you think his personality on the forums is a front, I can guarantee you it's not. He had a beautiful selection of TNT folders on hand.

Scott Self- Extremely personable and his Larry Chew inspired needle bearing and ball bearing folders are without question the smoothest operating production folders I've seen.

Theuns Prisloo- If you can get to the show this weekend make it a point to stop by Theuns' table. He's a very talented maker and a gentlemen to boot(and the dollar to rand exchange rate makes his excellent knives a bargain as well).

Patrick Ma- Triple Aught was well represented and had an excellent selection of tactical knives on display.

Valerie Elishewitz- Was very gracious in showing off a new model that is as of yet un-named.

Also had a chance to meet Squid and say hi.
Based on this experience I can only imagine what the Atlanta Blade Show must be like.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Vince Evans wasn't there at least not yet. There were a number of empty tables early friday.
This Tom Mayo fellow was squished up on one end of the Strider table. He had a bunch of these "TNT's" or something all over himself. If you wanted to look at one he'd pull it out from somewhere and it would be warm. Nice knives though.
Mission knives had some new items on display including a 15" A2 MPK. Actually it didn't have the usual MPK type blade (more of a boloesque chopper) but they were calling it an MPK. Its a very tempting piece.
Strider had some prototypes of very large and beefy folders. These were a quite bit different than the buck production.

booshank,
Good call on mentioning the Mission display. John Moore also had a scale mockup of the new smaller sized MPF that was nice to see.

Dr Lathe, I have some good news for you. The A2 bladed MPFs are in production as we speak.

One final impression; Tim Herman may well be BFC's crotchety old bastid in residence (said with a smile, Tim
smile.gif
), but his work really has to be seen to be believed. I don't know that I've ever seen such an extreme example of pictures being unable to do justice to a custom knife. It was a pleasure to behold.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Hi James, it was nice meeting you. Didn't see REKAT there on fri, wish they can make it on Sat. Ernie Emerson was there, what a great guy to talk to.

Wished I stayed at a location that didn't involve 20+ hour flights to visit the best knife shows. Oh well, mabye next year...

If you run into Allen & Valerie Elishewitz, say hi for me. I've reserved a Cortex with CF bolsters and Cocobolo scales but since they're prepping for the show, I'll just have to wait
wink.gif

Red

Hi Bronco!

It was good meeting you too!

I left the show empty handed. And it's probably best I did - I'm almost done saving up for my Larry Chew Cujo, and an impulse purchase at the show would certainly have set me back!

I also just got back, and i was a little surprised to see the number of empty tables as of 1:30 p.m. I can't say that I have had more fun at a show, since this was the first one for my youngest(4 y.o.). Will F. at the Camillus display was truly outstanding,( Thanks, Will, both the boys can't wait to wear their bandana's to their tennis lesson's this weekend, and the playing cards made a ridiculous Friday rush-hour drive bearable). Every maker or rep. that I spoke with, took the time to also speak to my sons, and for that I say a hearty thank you to all. I managed to get away with only four knives, so I think I'm still married.
Lance

Squid, trust me when I say that the discipline and self control you demonstrated yesterday will be rewarded many times over when your Cujo finally does arrive
smile.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Did any of you folks who made it to the Blade show west get a chance to check out Richard Roger's stuff? I understand he won another award, but have not heard the details. I have a couple of his knives, and he is definitely one of the best.

------------------
Danbo, soul brother of Rambo

Did any of you folks who made it to the Blade show west get a chance to check out Richard Roger's stuff? I understand he won another award, but have not heard the details. I have a couple of his knives, and he is definitely one of the best.

------------------
Danbo, soul brother of Rambo

Back