1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Photos Help...Adz or Repurposed?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Miller '72, May 29, 2019.

1. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I picked this up last weekend, and I am not sure what to think.
    The eye and pole want me to think small adz...the bit has me thinking maybe a smaller mattock reforged/repurposed?

Anyway, I hope it can be discussed and judgement passed:cool:;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking if adz, to keep it as is, perhaps find an adz handle for it.
    I could hang on this handle if an adz still.

[​IMG]

Or if not an adz, i will use to plant shrubs and plants on the short handle.

Thank you all for your input opinions and advice here on this one:thumbsup:

Yankee Josh likes this.
  2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I'm with you. Definitely looks like an adze to me. It is a little odd looking though!

A17 and Miller '72 like this.
  3. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I know it.
    Just not definitive enough one way or the other. The divide up the bit, the bit chewed up and the eye/hammer...just confusing me. Thanks Y.J.
    ...odd family fun fact...I call my brother by his very similar initials J.K. ...I also have this great source for all things axe spectacular... J.B. :thumbsup: ;)

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  4. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    The Dictionary of American Hand Tools describes a hammer adze but the one they have a photo of looks more modern.
    [​IMG]

FortyTwoBlades and A17 like this.
  5. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Looks to me like some one used a carpenters adze in the garden.

6. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I've seen and fixed that several times. In fact, I know some people who still use a beautiful adze for gardening. I'll try to swap a hoe for it next time I see 'em.

7. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I'd call it an adze.

ithinkverydeeply, Miller '72 and A17 like this.
  8. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Thank you gentleman.
    I am grateful for the help and the push, very pleased to know and feel it is an adz.

Thanks again :thumbsup::cool:

ithinkverydeeply and A17 like this.