Help! Benchmade 560-1 Freek slamming shut

So recently my benchmade knife has started to slam shut when I close it. It was not doing this before. I cleaned and re oiled my pivot, and I made sure all the screws were tight, and adjusted my pivot. Id like to hold off on sending my knife to benchmade until im sure i cant fix it myself because im in canada. Thanks!

Does it lock up solidly? The axis bar pulls double duty as lockbar when open and bladestop in the closed position.

Just broken in?
This^^^^^^^
If your blade lock up is solid, then it is just broken in. No issue whatsoever with the knife. In fact, I prefer axis lock knives to freely fall shut. Just remember to keep your fingers out of the path of the blade.

So recently my benchmade knife has started to slam shut when I close it. It was not doing this before. I cleaned and re oiled my pivot, and I made sure all the screws were tight, and adjusted my pivot. Id like to hold off on sending my knife to benchmade until im sure i cant fix it myself because im in canada. Thanks!
It's supposed to do this. There are those of us who spend hours trying to get our knives to slam shut, or as the proper term is "fall shutty".

Are you talking about a free-falling blade when the AXIS bar is pulled back... or are you saying the blade hangs up at a particular point, and then "slams shut" like it's spring-assisted? I've had one or two AXIS lock knives where the blade hangs up at a point in the closing procedure, then seems to "push" past the hang-up and slam close. Didn't bother me, particularly, I just considered it an idiosyncrasy of that particular knife. Never affected the open lockup or the detent when closed, so I didn't worry about it.

I can understand that some users may find such a low-resistance pivot disadvantageous due to lack of direct control of the blade when closing.

That said, the majority of users actively seek such fluidity of motion, as it allows for very easy one-handed operation. My advice would be to learn to close the knife entirely via wrist movement and operation of the axis lock in such a manner that the blade does not move faster than desired.

I assume this is like the sensation one gets from a slipjoint as it closes. If my BM's "slammed shut" I would be happy. One of my biggest beefs with the axis lock design is that the blade easily comes open if you flick it, or drop it on a kitchen floor. I still really like the lock, but I would prefer it stay closed better.

All of my axis locks have close very softly compared to backlocks or slippies. But, much harder to flick a backlock or slippie too, so pick your preference. I suppose a flipper would be a happy medium with a stiff detente, I just don't care for flippers generally.

OP, I think you're fine though. Maybe post a short video of what it's doing, if you can.

If there is no side play of the blade, slamming shut should be a good thing, to most people on this forum.

If you are looking for a blade to slowly sink into the handle like on some ball bearing frame locks or liner locks the AXIS lock won't do this (that I'm aware of). Additionally, the larger/heavier the blade, the more inertia it has do act a little different than the smaller, lighter blades in their corresponding lock designs.

Edit: If you release the Axis lock bar before the blade comes fully down, it should give a slight cushion/friction to the blade falling. It shouldn't really matter unless your blade is bouncing back out of the handle before you let go of the Axis lock bar. That might be a closing technique issue.

Back