HELP: Cant decide on an EDC auto knife

First time poster, long time carrier. Ive carried a knife daily from high school on, i was just raised that way. Ive carried grandpas buck knife to boker ak74 and most recently for the past 5 or so years ive been carrying a kershaw leek which has done fine but ive been through a few with busted tips and broken safeties. Still carry one as of now but as an ER tech and EMT ive started looking at investing in a high quality EDC knife. Which brings me to here, im looking at a semi-slim profile EDC knife for both dress and work. Blade between 3-4" im thinking and relatively light. Blade must be strong quality steel though and not cheap. I like the dagger blades but am not impartial to a drop point. Must be USA made. Price isn't a huge factor but i get a nice discount through BM and Gerber for being in service personnel.

Knifes ive been eyeballing:
BM Stimulus
BM AFO II (prob too big)
BM CLA
Gerber propel auto (prob too big)
Gerber covert auto
Kershaw launch

I looked a little at spyderco but i have to hands on experience with them.

If you can find one the DISKIN FIRE is the finest DA I own

The New DA from DISKIN is hard to get but if your going to attend BLADE they are attainable

My absolute favorite right now is my Protech Rockeye. Mine is in CPM D2 which is amazing, but the CPM 154 steel is also great. All Protechs are very well made!!
Another Protech that I have been eyeballing is the new TR-5. Smaller version of the TR-4. Looks amazing! I love my TR-4!
Benchmade has a lot of good models, and new ones. They are great knives. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Protech though.
For budget, Kershaw autos are very nice!

Welcome to the forums. Since you get a discount with BM, I'd choose them over Gerber. I trust BMs quality, fit and finish, and customer service over Gerber. Unless you don't like grivory handles, maybe the Casbah is worth looking into. Otherwise, I'd go BM CLA.

EDIT: Protech is another good option. They are less expensive then I thought after I just looked at them.

I am auto freak and can confidently say get a Pro Tech TR3.
I have Microtechs, Benchmades and Pro Tech autos and the only auto I carry for work, HVAC, is a TR3.
It is extremely reliable, locks up stupid tight, very comfy in hand and fires like a pistol.
Whole bunch of styles to choose from, I have 3 of them. Definitely worth a look.
Also, PT is one of the smaller knife companies and offers excellent customer service.
Good luck & welcome!
Joe

You can't want an auto without at least considering a ProTech. Love my PT Strider & Whiskers.
Aat9Fkdh.jpg

If you like the AFO II but think it might be too big, take a look at the Benchmade 2551 Mini Reflex.

Same 6061 aluminum chassis and 154CM steel done right in a smaller package with excellent ergonomics.

Stimulus is built of the same stuff in the same price range, but I like the slender drop point over the spear point for utility, and I can't get over how great the Mini Reflex rides in the hand.

Like others have already said, ProTech makes some of the best bang for your buck auto knives out there. The TR-3 is a great knife. If you liked the size of your Leek, check out the ProTech Newport.

I'll second the Protech Newport suggestion ... and add a Benchmade Presidio. (I like the Rift auto, as well; but I think it's been discontinued)

I've been eyeing that Protech Wiskers 2 in Damascus but have spent way too much on knives lately.

I'd also like a dual action knife as I have never owned one. Those Diskins do look nice.

So i like the size of my leek but was looking for maybe something slightly larger, although that newport 3415 looks real slick!! Im not a fan of the axis autos, id rather have a flipper due to simplicity, if it came down to that. I like the looks/layout of the tr-5 and tr-3. The BR-1 is slick but not very practical for my uses.

If you can find one the DISKIN FIRE is the finest DA I own

The New DA from DISKIN is hard to get but if your going to attend BLADE they are attainable

You should just make your signature,”Do you have some time to discuss our lord and savior, Matt Diskin?” I swear, every time I see a “recommend” thread, you post big dollar custom Diskins. It’s actually kind of weird.

Is everyone under the general consensus that Gerber american made knives are overpriced or just not good? I mean i know everyone has their own idea of whats "better" but im gathering that most arent a fan. I can get the covert auto for $98. I figured that was good but if its not going to last ill buy up to the benchmade or pro tech for $50 more

LUDT.

Best auto design I've ever owned.

I really like that LUDT. I applied for microtechs service program, we will see what the damage is. In that bronze finish with a black or grey! Tough looking

I am auto freak and can confidently say get a Pro Tech TR3.
I have Microtechs, Benchmades and Pro Tech autos and the only auto I carry for work, HVAC, is a TR3.
It is extremely reliable, locks up stupid tight, very comfy in hand and fires like a pistol.
Whole bunch of styles to choose from, I have 3 of them. Definitely worth a look.
Also, PT is one of the smaller knife companies and offers excellent customer service.
Good luck & welcome!
Joe

You know Joe, I gotta try one of those out. My only good autos are my BMW AFO first gen, no lock or pocket clip so very little pocket carry, mostly in a sheath. The BM Mini Reflex is another great one I have but again, first gen and no locks or clip = less pocket carry. I have a David Mosier Block Auto, a square little lever release auto with the kick of little mule. No lock and no clip but it doesn't need it, it's 1.75" blade is more than adequate for any gentlemanly duties required of it.

Might be time to hook up with you somewhere for a drink so I can check out your ProTech Joe, maybe even make a trade ;) . Seems I have no modern autos, everything I have is 30+ years old or older. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll get in touch Joe.

Back