HELP, Found My Folder In A Pile Of Snow, Next Steps?

It's a typical marketing ploy on lower end knives. The steel is a flavor of 440, the coating has a sprinkling of titanium in the epoxy. I'm not sure of the composition, but lots of knives have it.

Now, that said, nothing wrong at all with an inexpensive knife that suits ones needs. I think many of us amass a clutch of knives that are so lightly used, the quality beyond pride of ownership is never really tested. Lots of $20 folders do lots of work. I had a S&W folder about 20 years ago. It was a bit of a rattle box, but it locked up tight enough to do some work. I lost it long before I killed it.

OP, I'll make you a deal. Try to clean up the old girl. See what you can do with the advice you've been given here. If it works out, carry that old knife with pride. If you can't get it cleaned up to your liking, pony up the couple bucks to buy a basic membership and I will find you something lightly used from my trunk of knives that i promise you will be worth more than the $10 bucks a membership costs and a step up in quality from your S&W.

Can't lose on that one;)

Classy move.

It's a typical marketing ploy on lower end knives. The steel is a flavor of 440, the coating has a sprinkling of titanium in the epoxy. I'm not sure of the composition, but lots of knives have it.

Now, that said, nothing wrong at all with an inexpensive knife that suits ones needs. I think many of us amass a clutch of knives that are so lightly used, the quality beyond pride of ownership is never really tested. Lots of $20 folders do lots of work. I had a S&W folder about 20 years ago. It was a bit of a rattle box, but it locked up tight enough to do some work. I lost it long before I killed it.

OP, I'll make you a deal. Try to clean up the old girl. See what you can do with the advice you've been given here. If it works out, carry that old knife with pride. If you can't get it cleaned up to your liking, pony up the couple bucks to buy a basic membership and I will find you something lightly used from my trunk of knives that i promise you will be worth more than the $10 bucks a membership costs and a step up in quality from your S&W.

Can't lose on that one;)

Well done, sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

On the subject of less expensive knives at work, one of the guys in our Tuesday night Bible Study is an investigator for a district attorney here in GA. He came from street cop to detective to special investigator. He's also a shooting instructor for the local PD and a Glock armorer. He's worked with my wife and I on tuning our guns and giving pointers for close-quarters combat shooting. In appreciation, I gave him a new BM 585 LE (green/black & M390 version). He carries that off-duty. At work he carries a S&W auto that he's had for years. He depends on that S&W for work needs and it's never let him down.

Greetings ALL,

To cut to the chase, I've had this joint for 13 years now, and it even saved my life during an attempted mugging/beatdown and thats not the only time it saved me.. Anyways its comfort and sentimental value here along with protection and survival.

Last week during that Polar Vortex business that crippled us in the midwest I apparently lost it somewhere in about 18 inches of the powder white in Negative 35 weather. Figured it was a goner..Today its 44 degrees and powder has turned to slush and I of course after having giving up all hope miraculously found it.

Knife: Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops
Markings: CKG104B Hammer forged Surgical and on other side, Titanium 440 Steel

A few questions after I wiped it down and used Canned air to dry it off.

1. What can I do about the few rust spots forming on the blade and rest of the knife?

2. The belt clip now only has 2/3 screws on it, how to replace em? They look propriatary.. some kind of star head like business on it?

3. This episode has me thinking, in the 13 years i've had it, I've not done a single thing to maintain it.. Its my EVERYDAY carry so what maintenance should I be doing on this?

4. Based on what this knife is and more importantly its size, what similar knives would yall recommend to compliment it(never replace)?

thanks in advance!

oNe
Sorry to hear about your knife. Now I'm interested in the "hammer forged surgical" steel and the "titanium 440 steel" designations.

My advice would be, since it has sentimental value you should retire it. Keep it, get it out every now and then to admire and for the nostalgia it holds, and get yourself a new EDC. You have a perfect excuse to do so now. Depending on your budget, there are a ton of great options out there. My first recommendation would be the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. There are some truly excellent models from Cold Steel that offer a massive upgrade in steel and the strongest lock in the business (Recon 1, American Lawman). ZT has nice offerings. Treat yourself. You survived the Polar Vortex, so you have earned it!

Can't lose on that one;)
You're the man Steely Gunz! Awesome offer!

Can't lose on that one;)
If you don't take Mr. Gunz up on his offer you'll be kicking yourself in the butte the rest of your life.
Mr. Gunz, you are truly a Brother of Steel.

I have one of the Smith and Wesson OTF knives, forgot the name of it. It was lost for awhile, found it under the bathroom sink. It is rather rusty now. but wasn't really my favorite knife. A generous offer from Steely Gunz.

EVERYONE, thank you for your input and advise on this, its been very eye opening and extremely helpful.

My apologies if I came across as needy or cringe worthy but I guess I was caught up in the heat of them moment, i.e having found me ol' girl after givin her up for lost days ago!

Anyways part of the reason for my post was that before I came here I spent about an hour googling "how to clean a folder after dropping it in water" and while I didn't find the exact answer I was looking for I did some tons and tons of posts and advice about daily upkeep maintenance on a knife, which of course had me thinking.. In the 13yrs I h'ave this I never did anything to it, not even sharpen it much less oil it. So in essence thats where a big part of this was coming from..

AGAIN, thank you all, and it most definitely seems like I overreacted so appreciate you feller's taking it easy on me regardless of all that.

oNe

P.S. the torq screws, I can't tell if they are stripped where the torx head goes in or if its jus gunk thats built up in there. On the hand that it is stripped, best way to get em off? Also I read in my research that people throw on some blue loctite when tightening the screws up? Whats up with that?

P.S.s. Steely Gunz that is a most generous offer indeed and I would definitely like to partake of it if you'd be so kind. Please advise..

A lot of good advice here. I'd be careful with abrasives to on the blade. It could mar it and you'll then have a spot that looks different. You then have to decide to do the rest of the blade so it matches or just live with it. Just be careful - an abrasive could have unintended cosmetic consequences. I would contact S&W about the missing screw to see if they'll send you one. If they have it they may send it for the cost of shipping.

Two question regarding another knife: do you have any size preference, and do you have a way to sharpen it? Asking about the the sharpening because that will tell us whether or not to recommend something that could present sharpening challenges. Regarding preference, I would go to a shop that has a variety of knives and see what you like. Different handle shapes and sizes, different blade shapes, different lock types. It's crazy how many varieties and options are out there.

Glad you to found that knife. I would consider the rust spots another part of the long history you have with this one.

Last edited:
Very classy offer Steely_Gunz, Hats off to you sir:cool::thumbsup:. Op If you do try to take it apart for servicing your going to want to heat the pivot and frame screws up with a hair dryer to help loosen up the factory loctite and then use a tiny dab of blue loctite for reassembly:)

EVERYONE, thank you for your input and advise on this, its been very eye opening and extremely helpful.

My apologies if I came across as needy or cringe worthy but I guess I was caught up in the heat of them moment, i.e having found me ol' girl after givin her up for lost days ago!

Anyways part of the reason for my post was that before I came here I spent about an hour googling "how to clean a folder after dropping it in water" and while I didn't find the exact answer I was looking for I did some tons and tons of posts and advice about daily upkeep maintenance on a knife, which of course had me thinking.. In the 13yrs I h'ave this I never did anything to it, not even sharpen it much less oil it. So in essence thats where a big part of this was coming from..

AGAIN, thank you all, and it most definitely seems like I overreacted so appreciate you feller's taking it easy on me regardless of all that.

oNe

P.S. the torq screws, I can't tell if they are stripped where the torx head goes in or if its jus gunk thats built up in there. On the hand that it is stripped, best way to get em off? Also I read in my research that people throw on some blue loctite when tightening the screws up? Whats up with that?

P.S.s. Steely Gunz that is a most generous offer indeed and I would definitely like to partake of it if you'd be so kind. Please advise..

Just follow the link on joining up. Become a basic member or higher and shoot me a PM. I'll ask you a couple questions on what you might like/knife uses and I'll find something and mail it out priority USPS
:)

As already noted, definitely torx screws. T8 most likely.

Big box stores have multi-driver sets. With T6, T8, T10 drivers, you can work on 99% of the knives made.

Give it several shots of WD40, shake it out, wipe it down, done.

the torq screws, I can't tell if they are stripped where the torx head goes in or if its jus gunk thats built up in there. On the hand that it is stripped, best way to get em off? Also I read in my research that people throw on some blue loctite when tightening the screws up? Whats up with that?

You already have good advice about the rust. I was going to suggest taking the knife apart for a good thorough cleaning with dish soap and a tooth brush, followed by an alcohol wipe down, drying off, and then properly lubricating with a good oil before reassembling. (You'd put the blue loctite on the screws when you reassemble the knife.) Then I saw this.

The sad truth is that your knife may be ready to retire. Abandoning you for the snow may have been a subtle message from your old trusted friend. Your heart should be full of joy for the thirteen long years of maintenance-free service this knife has given you. That is truly exceptional, especially for a budget knife. Now, you might want to clean and lube her to the best of your ability and retire her to a drawer.

I'd definitely consider the generous offer you've got here. That's amazing! You may also want to start putting a few bucks a week into a jar. You've had thirteen good years with a budget knife. I'm sure you can get a few years out of whatever is being offered here. Then treat yourself to a quality knife in the decade after that!

Barkeepers Friend cleanser will dissolve light rust, as it contains oxalic acid. I use it on kitchen knives and the kitchen sink if rust spots occur. I wouldn't dump a bunch in the moving part of the folder, but no problem on the blade. It doesn't seem too abrasive. Or dip the blade in Coca Cola and let it sit awhile.

Can't lose on that one;)

Class act there. He’s got nothin’ to lose and everything to gain.

For the rust, get one of these. It won't harm the finish on the blade.

DGJclRm.jpg

One of my favorite cleaning tools for steel, brass and other metals. Also great for cleaning electrical connections like battery contacts and plugs.

You already have good advice about the rust. I was going to suggest taking the knife apart for a good thorough cleaning with dish soap and a tooth brush, followed by an alcohol wipe down, drying off, and then properly lubricating with a good oil before reassembling. (You'd put the blue loctite on the screws when you reassemble the knife.) Then I saw this.

The sad truth is that your knife may be ready to retire. Abandoning you for the snow may have been a subtle message from your old trusted friend. Your heart should be full of joy for the thirteen long years of maintenance-free service this knife has given you. That is truly exceptional, especially for a budget knife. Now, you might want to clean and lube her to the best of your ability and retire her to a drawer.

I'd definitely consider the generous offer you've got here. That's amazing! You may also want to start putting a few bucks a week into a jar. You've had thirteen good years with a budget knife. I'm sure you can get a few years out of whatever is being offered here. Then treat yourself to a quality knife in the decade after that!

my fellow knife aficionados, again, thank you all for such wonderful advice and input... HOWEVER believe it or not, I did nothing to the ol' girl except continue to use it and now almost 2 weeks later, no sign of its 48hr+ ordeal/battle with mother nature. EXCEPT on the insides where the blades go, there is obvious surface rust there, but unless I completely take it apart I can't get to it easily and who knows maybe that was even there before its recent ordeals. NOTE: to be fair I did take some of yall's advise and ordered some of the supplied you all recommended but they never arrived, USPS is still searching for the "item" but they think it was returned to sender for some reason....

Cosmodragon, appreciate the tips and advice but i know for a fact she did NOT ABANDON ME for the snow, it was all my fault, after 13 years I got sloppy and careless...

Mistake #1: putting it on outer layer, at the snowpants level, usually I wear shorts or jogging pants underneathe and always clip it on there, but this one time...

Mistake #2: using it after the clip lost one of its screw, aka, only has 2/3 on it, so at base its a bit loose..

Mistake #3: not being situationally aware, usually I always know she's there and always "feel" when she's slipping out, but for whatever reason, not this time..

So you see, twas all me fault and nothing to do with her..

However you are correct she won't be around forever so I am taking your advice and putting some $$ away in a jar, another 2 weeks or so and I shall have enough to take up Steely's generous offer..

again, much appreciated!

oNe

The pocket screw is a metric threaded torx. Probably just easier to check the remaining two for good threads, etc, and a bit of Loctite to keep them in place.

Back